GDT: Round Dos, Game Dos: Blues @ Avs: Darn Tootin': 9:30(ish) ET / 7:30(ish) MT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Last year game 2 Landy fought Schenn early. And I think MacK laid out RoR causing a turnover and a goal early.

MacK is capable of using his strength and brute force for something other than trying to ram through 3 guys while carrying the puck.

He just rarely does so.

I think sometimes Nate forgets he's a bull, because he's trying not to get over emotional. Because that has led to problems before.

But sometimes he just needs to be reminded he is a bull, and he should do bull like things out on the ice. Then he gets back to winning most of his battles instead of losing most of them.

Nate's strength is a huge asset. He can physically out compete like 90% of players in the NHL when he wants to. He can just shrug guys off in a puck battle, take the puck, and step into the open ice he created and score. When he doesn't use that strength, he's half the player he's capable of being.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The difference between Makar and Fox is Fox knows hes great and he loves showing it every game. Makar doesnt know hes that great yet sometimes.

I think Cale realized how great he is this year.

The #1 thing we need from Cale is to not be too banged up. I think he might have had something nagging during the first game, as he didn't look himself then either, and that almost never happens. He's very consistent. Then he went hard into the post last game.

Today in his presser he said he didn't have the juice in his legs the first two games and was asked how he can get it back, and he just said he needed to "find a way." Then was asked about when he went into the post and he said it was, "Lucky that it wasn't more serious than it is."

So he's probably banged up a little bit. The question is how bad is it and can he find a way to battle through it and still execute on his passes and shots? And you know the Blues are going to target him even more next game with the crowd behind them and knowing he might not be 100%.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Cale realized how great he is this year.

The #1 thing we need from Cale is to not be too banged up. I think he might have had something nagging during the first game, as he didn't look himself then either, and that almost never happens. He's very consistent. Then he went hard into the post last game.

Today in his presser he said he didn't have the juice in his legs the first two games and was asked how he can get it back, and he just said he needed to "find a way." Then was asked about when he went into the post and he said it was, "Lucky that it wasn't more serious than it is."

So he's probably banged up a little bit. The question is how bad is it and can he find a way to battle through it and still execute on his passes and shots? And you know the Blues are going to target him even more next game with the crowd behind them and knowing he might not be 100%.
I think he sometimes doesnt realize it still. Like hes special and I dont think he knows just how special. Let those instincts take over. The last few games hes playing like hes Nick Holden. Unsure, not sharp and shy to pull the trigger. He had a nice rush shorthanded last night but thats as much as I noticed him. Kucherov actually might be the best example of swagger in the NHL. That guy knows hes great and plays that way.

Reactions: dahrougem2

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
This is kinda his appraoch a lot of times when things aren't working. Then when it doesn't work, he gets frustrated and plays worse. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

What I'd really like to see Nate do next game, is go out and start hitting more. Doesn't have to be overly physical, just put his shoulder into guys on every forecheck, and every puck battle.

I'm almost positive that would get him back to playing like that confident bull that dominates games. It would also open up some extra ice for him to work with. His linemates too.
Ding ding ding--we have a winner here. Shoot the puck into the corner if he doesn't have any space to work with, chase after it with a full head of steam, and mash the Blues defenseman who's trying to retrieve it into the glass. HARD! Mack needs to get his head in the game by being physical and a bit chippy. Not stupid "take needless penalties" kind of physical, but Forsberg-like physical. Get Blues players hearing footsteps for a change. Coz just skating faster & stickhandling like a spaz isn't gonna do squat in terms of getting Mack going. And if he didn't learn that lesson from the Vegas series, then he's hopeless as a 2nd round & beyond playoff performer.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
This is excellent, but may I add the part where MacK ends the sequence with a blind backhand spinorama when there a simple passing play available?

And I guess while I'm here, can I also add the part where MacK looks at the play on the tablet at the bench and decides that "nope, looks all good to me, just need to do the exact same thing again"?
If I skate faster they won't know what hit them!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I kinda feel like what did the Avs in was compete level. It just wasn't high enough for game 2. And yes, this is fixable...but the problem isn't whether or not it's fixable, but why does it need fixing in the first place. This is on the players, not the coach.

Bednar's not completely off the hook, but I am way more upset at the players than the coach for Game 2.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I tried calling Mikko again last night. I wanted to let him know that the post season is happening now and it would be nice if he would show up.
Hey dude, if you can private text me Mikko phone number, I wanted to tell him something. I want to tell Rants "Get to the chopper" in a Arnold voice.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
The boys just weren’t ready for the altitude. No worries…

…but for real, my not-yet-fiancé’s cousin/uncle* was in the Buffalo shooting, we just found out yesterday so I missed the game…

*the security guard who confronted the gunman was her father’s cousin, whatever that’s called in English.

Bad luck seems to follow you around.. wishing you well buddy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bad luck seems to follow you around.. wishing you well buddy.

I’ve certainly gotten to “enjoy” both extremes of life in America :laugh:

…plus I have absurdly good luck with certain things; dice, parking, genetics, etc…

Luckily the bad makes the good that much sweater, and me a more well rounded person. So I make that pain work for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The difference between Makar and Fox is Fox knows hes great and he loves showing it every game. Makar doesnt know hes that great yet sometimes.

1653134313746.gif

Reactions: Gruyeriev

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I’m pretty sure Makar knows he is great. Fox is great at being down 0-2 in the second round.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Everyone is so doom and gloom over here. We’ve lost 1 of our 6 playoff games so far. We may not win tonight either but let’s wait and see. If we come back to Denver without winning either of the two games then we can start to panic.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Everyone is so doom and gloom over here. We’ve lost 1 of our 6 playoff games so far. We may not win tonight either but let’s wait and see. If we come back to Denver without winning either of the two games then we can start to panic.
The same doom and gloomers who are all over the place right now are the same who come out of the woodwork anytime something negative happens even during a game. It's like they wait to pounce at any moment. But are all extremely quiet when things are going well. I don't see how that sort of person can derive any joy from watching sports. No team is perfect, and no team is great all the time, but if all you look forward to is the next opportunity to say "Sakic sucks" or "fire Bednar" then why even bother? I'm excited for the opportunity tonight for the team to come out fired up and ready to answer the critics. Go Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad