GDT: Round Dos, Game Dos: Blues @ Avs: Darn Tootin': 9:30(ish) ET / 7:30(ish) MT

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I fully expect 4 straight losses to end our season without much push back from our guys. It's just their identity. They fold when it gets tough.
This applies to a lot of posters in this thread too. It's one freaking game.

And even after being on the receiving end of a historic analytics beatdown against Vegas in Games 2-4, they did enough in Games 5 and 6 to win those games (although of course they didn't, which is its own narrative).

Ice was bad, team was bad, Cale was bad, but that doesn't mean it will be that way on Saturday night.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Boy after reading this thread and the one on the main it really feels like we're down 3-1 or 2-1. If Avs are that favorite and contending team they're touted to be I think they should be able to take one or both games in St-Louis. If they can't I guess that's when I'll start to panic. I hope we see a different Avs team than last night.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm sure MacK is getting mentally ready to come out in game 3 with his plan B of skate faster and stickhandle faster.

And if that doesn't work then I bet he goes all out and tries to skate even faster and stickhandle even more.

There's nothing MacK won't do to win.

This is kinda his appraoch a lot of times when things aren't working. Then when it doesn't work, he gets frustrated and plays worse. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

What I'd really like to see Nate do next game, is go out and start hitting more. Doesn't have to be overly physical, just put his shoulder into guys on every forecheck, and every puck battle.

I'm almost positive that would get him back to playing like that confident bull that dominates games. It would also open up some extra ice for him to work with. His linemates too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Boy after reading this thread and the one on the main it really feels like we're down 3-1 or 2-1. If Avs are that favorite and contending team they're touted to be I think they should be able to take one or both games in St-Louis. If they can't I guess that's when I'll start to panic. I hope we see a different Avs team than last night.
We ARE down 3-1. Don't you know? They have already cancelled the next two games because it is a waste of time playing them. We have already lost them.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The funniest thing is some of the guys that were most aggressive on the main boards hyping up our superiority were the quickest to throw in the towel.
Thats usually how it is with all fanbases quite honestly. The knowledgeable fans no a series can go either way just like regular season games. Amd that the series is about adjustments.

Although falling to 1-1 is a pretty fast abandon ship even by most loud obnoxious bandwagon jumpers.

Avs should still be favorite rest of series i must admit even as a blues fan. Binmingtons locked in now but hes prone to cold stretches and he has an exploitable ahl defense in front of him. Are offensive depth will do its best to keep avs off their game and on the defense but avs definitely have the firepower to exploit the likes of rosen, mikkola, peronovich, and bortuzzo.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
This is kinda his appraoch a lot of times when things aren't working. Then when it doesn't work, he gets frustrated and plays worse. Hopefully that doesn't happen this time.

What I'd really like to see Nate do next game, is go out and start hitting more. Doesn't have to be overly physical, just put his shoulder into guys on every forecheck, and every puck battle.

I'm almost positive that would get him back to playing like that confident bull that dominates games. It would also open up some extra ice for him to work with. His linemates too.
Last year game 2 Landy fought Schenn early. And I think MacK laid out RoR causing a turnover and a goal early.

MacK is capable of using his strength and brute force for something other than trying to ram through 3 guys while carrying the puck.

He just rarely does so.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Nate has to take at page out of Crosby's book and play like an elite grinder with hands and vision.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The #1 thing the Avs need is Makar to play up to his abilities.
1653086419923.gif

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I'm sure MacK is getting mentally ready to come out in game 3 with his plan B of skate faster and stickhandle faster.

And if that doesn't work then I bet he goes all out and tries to skate even faster and stickhandle even more.

There's nothing MacK won't do to win.
This is excellent, but may I add the part where MacK ends the sequence with a blind backhand spinorama when there a simple passing play available?

And I guess while I'm here, can I also add the part where MacK looks at the play on the tablet at the bench and decides that "nope, looks all good to me, just need to do the exact same thing again"?

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
The Avs were lucky to not get blown out in those games against Vegas.

In this game the Avs played like absolute shit, and the Blues barely beat them thanks to three lucky goals off deflections and softy from Kuemper.

Not even close to the same thing as last year.

The reverse of the 1st game where the Blues played like dog shit and the Avs barely beat them in an OT game. Playoff series often times have highs and lows, the response the next time out determines the winner. The Avs are too good to just lay down and die so as I have said from the beginning, its gonna be a long series!

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Nate has to take at page out of Crosby's book and play like an elite grinder with hands and vision.

Like that will ever happen, that boy is charmin soft, he hasn't driven to the front of the net in years. If he would use his insane athleticism to just drive the net instead of doing some shit backhand or turning over the puck he would most likely score or at worst draw a penalty almost every time.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The reverse of the 1st game where the Blues played like dog shit and the Avs barely beat them in an OT game. Playoff series often times have highs and lows, the response the next time out determines the winner. The Avs are too good to just lay down and die so as I have said from the beginning, its gonna be a long series!

Don't think they were quite the same in reverse. The main reasons the 1st game was close was Binnington and some unusually poor shooting accuracy, despite the Avs having lots of dangerous chances and outplaying the Blues.

The main reason the 2nd game was close was because the Blues didn't generate that many dangerous chances outside the 1st period, despite outplaying the Avs nearly all game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad