Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 168: Olle Lycksell, C, Linkoping (SHL Jr.)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ginning is next.

He is apparently leaving Linkoping from what I know... couple of SHL teams interested. But dang he really needs to actually become an SHL regular/top 4 guy before he is brought over.

Hagg was for sure better in the SHL at a year younger. Högberg better at the same age in SHL. Bernhardt too.

Though were "some" positive signs at times this year with him. And he has better physical tools than Hagg.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He is apparently leaving Linkoping from what I know... couple of SHL teams interested.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to. You don't play in the SHL at 16 with Linkoping, get demoted at 19 and just continue along the same path with the same team.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's the harshest criticism I've ever heard leveled at anyone.

Tbf Hagg was solid in his draft+1 year... and then also pretty good as a 19 year old in the AHL the year after.

But from my vantage point, having first watched him when he was 16... he has not really improved as a player since age ~19 or so in terms of puck skills, decision making etc.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tbf Hagg was solid in his draft+1 year... and then also pretty good as a 19 year old in the AHL the year after.

But from my vantage point, having first watched him when he was 16... he has not really improved as a player since age ~19 or so in terms of puck skills, decision making etc.

Which is why projection is hard both ways, Hagg should have developed into a solid 3rd pair defenseman by now, the majority of players make substantial strides in the mental side of the game from 19-24 as they gain experience and understand what they're seeing. He did look better this year, not chasing hits as much but he hasn't progressed the way you'd expect.

In the same way, Ginning at 19 has a lot of time to improve, and a lot of big defensemen have taken longer to develop.

If it was easy, no one would make mistakes projecting prospects.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Which is why projection is hard both ways, Hagg should have developed into a solid 3rd pair defenseman by now, the majority of players make substantial strides in the mental side of the game from 19-24 as they gain experience and understand what they're seeing. He did look better this year, not chasing hits as much but he hasn't progressed the way you'd expect.
In Hagg's defense, this is probably the first year where he has had decent coaching. There were whispers when he came over that he was "uncoachable" when he was in Sweden. Since he has come to NA, he has pretty much done whatever he has been told to do, whether or not it fit his skills. Yeo seems to have been able to figure out what Hagg can and can not do and then use him in situations where he doesn't hurt the team. He'll never be more than a 3rd pair player but at least now he's a reasonable 3rd pair player.

Reactions: orangey

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Nothing confirmed but seems likely - given timespan, what is happening in regards to COVID and the team - that Lycksell either has it or is isolating due to contact.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lycksell with 1g, 1a, 2p today after scoring the OT winner last game.

Finally on a line with guys that he fits with and back in the points.

6g, 7a, 13p, +1 in 34gp.

Inconsistent season. But so, so good when he is "on".

On pace for pretty much same amount of production in less ice time than last year.

Reactions: tymed

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

iu

Olle, Olle-Olle-Olleyyyyyy
Olleyyyy, Olleyyyyyy!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His SHL production these last 3 years for his age has constantly been "cusp" in terms of NHL future.

Like... if he had 5 more points? Guys his age dont NOT make it and play 50+ games with such production... but in his tier it is 50:50.

Certainly has the skill, speed and grit. Has just been really inconsistent this season.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad