Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 128: David Kase, RW, Chomutov Pirati (Czech League)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
According to one source, the last name is pronounced: Cash-ay

david-kase-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-poses-for-his-official-headshot-picture-id490651486

----------------------
The Flyers are quite excited that David Kase, an undersized forward, fell to them at pick No. 128.

"We had him quite a bit higher than he went," Hextall said.

"He's got good speed, not blinding. His hockey sense is outstanding. He's well-rounded. We're excited to have him."

The Czech Republic native has never left his home country, playing there all his life. He's able to play all three forward positions, which is one of the reasons why the Flyers liked him.

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2015/06/27/flyers-draft-goalies/29398571/

----------------------

When it came time for their selection in the fifth round, general manager Ron Hextall didn’t think Czech forward David Kase would still be on the board. Now, almost two weeks later at the start of development camp, the organization could have a hidden gem on its hands.

Kase, ranked 11th among all European skaters by Central Scouting before the draft, fell to the later rounds mainly because of his size. At just 5-foot-11 and 170 pounds, the Czech is considered small by NHL forward standards.

But what Kase lacks in size, he makes up for in hockey sense and offensive instincts.

“I think my agility, the quickness with the movement and overall speed and my vision on the ice are advantages I can use even as a smaller player than the others,” Kase said Tuesday through a translator.

The 18-year-old is a quick and shifty skater who can be elusive at times, and has above average puck-handling skills. Kase’s vision is probably his best asset when he’s on the ice. It was even called “excellent” by NHL director of European scouting Goran Stubbs.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/david-kase-vision-speed-make-lack-size

----------------------------------

Kase was part of Chomutov’s championship team in the Czech Republic’s Second League, registering 7-7—14 in 30 games. He also skated for Chomutov’s junior team in 2014-15, racking up 7-8—15 in eight regular season games and adding 5-7—12 in nine postseason contests.

• Internationally, Kase has earned silver medals while representing his country at the 2014 Under-18 World Championship (3-2—5 in 7 GP) and while serving as team captain at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka Memorial (1-2—3 in 5 GP).

• A history of playing on championship teams, Kase was a member Chomutov’s junior squad that won the league title in 2013-14 (11-19—30 in 35 GP) and a member of their Under-16 team that won the Czech title in 2011-12 (27-38—65 in 29 GP).

• His brother, Ondrej, was selected 205th overall by the Anaheim Ducks in 2014 and his father, Robert, is a former professional player who served as head coach of Chomutov’s junior team in 2014-15.

• Kase lists legendary Czech forward Jaromir Jagr as his favorite NHL player.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=2&dpid=86273&sort=lastName&year=2015

---------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
  • BIRTHYEAR 1997-01-28
  • BIRTHPLACE Kadan, CZE
  • AGE 18
  • NATION Czech Rep.
  • POSITION C/LW
  • SHOOTS L
  • HEIGHT 180 cm / 5'11"
  • WEIGHT 77 kg / 170 lbs
  • YOUTH TEAM SK Kadan
  • NHL DRAFT 2015 round 5 #128 overall by Philadelphia Flyers
  • RANKINGS Ranked #150 by Hockeyprospect.com
  • Ranked #76 by ISS Hockey
  • Ranked #11 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Stats at link: http://admin.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=158842#sthash.FX6QTD51.dpuf

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Played in the WJC on Pastrnak's line. He was OK, but I don't see him ever making the NHL.

I liked him at WJC and the U18. He was all over the ice, always in the mix. Good skills and speed. They would have seen a lot of him while scouting Zacha there.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
He certainly has a lot of international exposure for a 18yo. Captained them at the u18. Has played in everything from the u16 to the u20. I haven't hated any of the picks so far (even though some of them I knew zippo about 2 hours ago)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad