Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 107: Maksim Sushko, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
https://ohlwriters.me/tag/maksim-sushko/

Height: 6’0”

Weight: 185 pounds

Date of birth: February 10, 1999

Hometown: Brest, Belarus

Position: Right Wing

Shoots: Right

OHL Draft: Round 1, 29th overall, 2016 CHL Import Draft

Sushko has represented his native Belarus on two occasions. Last season he played for his country at the World Junior Championships Under-18 Division 1 (qualifying), scoring 2 goals and 4 assists in 5 games and wining gold. He was named his squads top player in the tournament. This season, he represented Belarus at the World Junior Championships Under 20 Division 1 scoring once in 5 games and again winning gold.

Putting up points has come somewhat easily for Sushko to date. During the 2014-2015 season, he scored 37 goals and 29 assists in 17 games for DYUSSH Shakhter Under-18. In this his Ontario Hockey League rookie season, he appeared in 54 games and put up a very respectable 17 goals and 15 assists. As is usually the case with Sushko, as the games begin to matter more, he rises to the occasion and has 3 goals and 8 assists in 16 playoff games for the Attack. (at the time of this article, Owen Sound is set to face the Erie Otters in game 6 of the Western Conference Championship which Erie leads 3-2).

We say this a lot about players at this level, and Sushko is no different: He does need to work on his complete game. He doesn’t always put the effort in his own zone as he does the offensive zone, and sometimes waits for someone else to do the leg work and head the other way.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Oh, he's from Belarus, interesting pick. Seems like another skilled player we got here, which is great. 11 pts in 17 play-off games this season with Owen Sound.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's already a thread for the goalie pick, albeit that I have zero clue why people are bummed about that pick.

Happy they picked someone with upside here and with speed. Always want someone with upside and they've been drafting a lot of size so I like seeing them deviate from that sometimes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh, he's from Belarus, interesting pick. Seems like another skilled player we got here, which is great. 11 pts in 17 play-off games this season with Owen Sound.

That means he gets to play in World Juniors top division this year. They were promoted.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm going to go back and watch him soon and see what's to like. I really don't have much of a real opinion on him, having been buried on OS.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was going through his stats month by month and before he left for World Juniors he was putting up some really nice numbers.

In October he had 11 points (6 goals) in 12 games but more importantly he had 38 shots on goal during the month. For whatever reason when he returned, he never approached these numbers again. Possible demotion in the lineup?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I saw someone tweet during the draft something about how he's a much better pick than he first appears and he's someone they could see having a huge jump in points next year.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He certainly looks like he has some nice tools. Good acceleration, shot, and hands.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Forward Maxim Sushko, currently playing in Canada’s Ontario Hockey League, could only concur, seeing as how he should be a big part of the team next winter in Buffalo. “I want to say thanks to the staff and all the guys born in 1997 and 1998. They’ve given us younger guys an excellent opportunity to present ourselves at the highest level of hockey and even more to a whole world of NHL scouts and media. It’s so amazing to know we’ll be part of it all next winner.â€

http://attackhockey.com/article/sushko-and-belarus-advance-to-2018-world-junior-championships

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great start to the WJC.

Thought as well during the game... Owen Sound are not exactly doing great... and Belarus are at the World Champs in summer.

Wonder if he ends up making his senior NT bow in Denmark. Sharangovich was there last year and one of the better players for Belarus... and Sushko has looked the same level or even better through two games.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Sushko has a chance to be a player. I'd compare him to Raffl (who I really like). Good speed, size, strength, skill and should be a role player who can play up and down the lineup. Plays the point on the PP. Will need AHL time but another asset in the pipeline.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad