Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 107: Maksim Sushko, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
What we know from Russia is quite bad, and that's even with the government suppressing bad news at a rate our administration can only fantasize about.

But thats not really my point. There is no way to know that it's safer in the US. Which so far has handled the pandemic with the grace of a trainwreck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But thats not really my point. There is no way to know that it's safer in the US. Which so far has handled the pandemic with the grace of a trainwreck.

As you may know I have an absolutely abysmal opinion of our handling of the pandemic.

I still trust our response and medical capabilities more than Russia's

Reactions: deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Appleyard, he didn't have a great AHL season, let's see how he finishes the KHL season before considering him NHL ready.
I think he has a bright future as a 4th line guy, but he's only 21, which is young for a guy who isn't an uber-talent.
If he doesn't return this year, he'd still be only 22 in TC the next season, and have the opportunity to replace Raffl.

He was a LH playing RW, is he playing RW in the KHL?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Appleyard, he didn't have a great AHL season, let's see how he finishes the KHL season before considering him NHL ready.
I think he has a bright future as a 4th line guy, but he's only 21, which is young for a guy who isn't an uber-talent.
If he doesn't return this year, he'd still be only 22 in TC the next season, and have the opportunity to replace Raffl.

He was a LH playing RW, is he playing RW in the KHL?

He had a really good AHL season in my eyes. Like one of the best Phantoms forwards considering his role. 4th on the team in goals, created chances with some regularity, also dependable on the PK. And always a prick to play against.

Frost, Kase and Sushko would have been my three stand-out fwd performers prospect wise.

He has some real talent. I dont think 3rd line is beyond him really.

He is playing LW in the KHL actually. Not seen him play there before really.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, he's not going to be out G, Lindblom and Farabee (which is a good thing, means there's stiff competition).
But having experience playing both wings is a plus.

Raffl probably won't be resigned after next season (getting long in the tooth) and Sandin is both an unknown and on a one year contract (do Flyers have RFA rights or will he be a UFA?). So there will certain be room in 2021-22.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Thanks for the info Alex.

Not sure how he’s playing lw now never saw him play there before turned into he’s not beating out our starting lws

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He had a really good AHL season in my eyes. Like one of the best Phantoms forwards considering his role. 4th on the team in goals, created chances with some regularity, also dependable on the PK. And always a prick to play against.

Frost, Kase and Sushko would have been my three stand-out fwd performers prospect wise.

He has some real talent. I dont think 3rd line is beyond him really.

He is playing LW in the KHL actually. Not seen him play there before really.
Sushko did play all F positions in the OHL when I saw him vs Hamilton a few times. He also played the point on the PP too, not bad at it.

Reactions: Appleyard

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Well, he's not going to be out G, Lindblom and Farabee (which is a good thing, means there's stiff competition).
But having experience playing both wings is a plus.

Raffl probably won't be resigned after next season (getting long in the tooth) and Sandin is both an unknown and on a one year contract (do Flyers have RFA rights or will he be a UFA?). So there will certain be room in 2021-22.

Haven’t you admitted before that you don’t watch AHL games? If so, why do you feel the need to act contrarian?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haven’t you admitted before that you don’t watch AHL games? If so, why do you feel the need to act contrarian?

Quite the opposite, I watch every AHL game televised in the Philly area.

I like Sushko, but saw nothing that said he's NHL ready, which isn't surprising, players with his pedigree generally don't win NHL jobs until they're 23-24. He's not going to outscore his mistakes, so he has to make fewer mistakes than some of his peers. And that tends to require more experience to smooth off the rough edges.

Look at his history:
OHL 60g 31-29 60, PO 10g 2-4 6
OHL 62g 18-33 51, PO 5 2-2 4
AHL 53g 11-10 21
KHL 9g 1-0 1

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Quite the opposite, I watch every AHL game televised in the Philly area.

I like Sushko, but saw nothing that said he's NHL ready, which isn't surprising, players with his pedigree generally don't win NHL jobs until they're 23-24. He's not going to outscore his mistakes, so he has to make fewer mistakes than some of his peers. And that tends to require more experience to smooth off the rough edges.

Look at his history:
OHL 60g 31-29 60, PO 10g 2-4 6
OHL 62g 18-33 51, PO 5 2-2 4
AHL 53g 11-10 21
KHL 9g 1-0 1

Fair enough.

Those counting stats don’t mean much to me without having watched any of the player

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fair enough.

Those counting stats don’t mean much to me without having watched any of the player

They're not gospel, rather data points that give a sense of a player's skills and how he's used.
A CHL player who puts up a 100+ is both being used in a top offensive role and producing in that role.
If you only putting up a ppg in juniors, or less than 0.5 ppg at ES in the AHL, you're probably not considered a "scorer."
Suhsko was 53g 10-10 20 in the AHL at ES, which is respectable for a 1st year player destined for the bottom six.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That makes sense and was probably cleared by the team.

Since he's got zero chance of making the roster this year (unless it's expanded with a black aces component) it makes more sense to keep playing in the KHL, then come over at some point and skate with the team or finish the year in the AHL (if there's an AHL).

11 forwards are locks (G, Couts, V, TK, Hayes, Farabee, Lindblom, JVR, Raffl, NAK, Laughton)
Frost and Patrick are near locks
Bunnaman, Allison, Laczynski, Twarynski, Sandin are contenders for any available slot
Kase is in the same situation, probably better to finish out his European season, and Rubtsov is locked up through the KHL season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad