Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Why? If you are going to do 1 year, just do an ELC. If he performs on the Phantoms he could always be called up. Playing in Russia for 1 year guarantees he's not playing in Philly next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am not sure he fits in the plans anyways for another few years.

We have Flip for 1 year.
So then the following year, we have that slot open. Are the Flyers going to hand it over to a rookie like they did with Laughton years earlier?

And speaking of Laughton, dors he get the 1st crack at replacing Flip in a year from now if he is not taken in the ED?

Personally, I see Vorobyov being more Belle's replacement in 2 years as opposed to Flips in 1.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't mind another year of KHL experience for Vorobyov.

I think that would be fine for his development, but the Phantoms could do with a big, physically mature 1C.

Assuming Rubtsov stays in the Q, their center depth for 17-18 looks like this:

Bardreau
Fazleev
Dove-McFalls (if the Flyers sign him to an ELC)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think that would be fine for his development, but the Phantoms could do with a big, physically mature 1C.

Bardreau
Fazleev

Good point. If he was going to be used in a scoring role, him coming over makes sense.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He'll also be 21 at the end of the next regular season I think, right? Getting that year in NA under his belt at that age should be a good thing - let him acclimate and then he should be getting to the point where he is ready for his rookie season in the NHL, or at least will be a decent age for it, I'd think.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That puts Vorobyov in a tough spot, if he waits around 2 more years, he's giving more draft picks chances at getting in before him.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
My general feeling is to bring Russian players over as soon as possible. First is to adjust to the NA game. Second is to ensure they are over before a breakout season in which a KHL team will pay them at a higher rate than an ELC.

In Vorobyov's case it likely wouldn't happen and he will burn an ELC year sooner, but it is still worth it IMO.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I will be shocked if we don't see him on the phantoms next year if I am honest. He's made his desires known quite clearly about playing in the NHL and the phantoms have a better arena than some NHL teams.

It's not like he would be slumming it down there.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
That puts Vorobyov in a tough spot, if he waits around 2 more years, he's giving more draft picks chances at getting in before him.

I don't see how. His progress depends on him and him alone. If KHL is the place where he can progress the best, then that's where he'll play.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Pretty cool for him. Will be going to Pyeongchang and playing 2 friendlies against South Korea on 18th+19th of March.

Also yesterday there was an article that implied Vorobyov is leaning towards leaving.

http://ufa1.ru/text/newsline/276596259078144.html?frompanel=1

'In Mikhail's case Salavat will have to try and dissuade him from going overseas.'

Nice...but will it be too late for the AHL playoffs? It seems like Salavat won't let him go until he's officially done 4/30. I'd guess Phantoms would have to make 2nd round ?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Nice to see him getting every chance to develop and grow into a bigger role not only with his KHL organization but also at the various levels of International play.

He is quietly having a really good season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Nice...but will it be too late for the AHL playoffs? It seems like Salavat won't let him go until he's officially done 4/30. I'd guess Phantoms would have to make 2nd round ?

If he came over straight away after contract expired (as I cannot see Salavat letting him go on the ~13th when they get back from vacation) the Phantoms would not have started 2nd round yet unless every team finished first inside ~4-5 games.

I imagine if he came over then he might still play.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Quite clear he wants to be in the NHL ASAP, & the best move for that is AHL.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Bardreau
Fazleev
awesome role player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad