Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Phantoms don't have an obvious candidate 1C for 17-18 apart from Vorobyov. I'm sure he and his agent have noticed that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The Phantoms don't have an obvious candidate 1C for 17-18 apart from Vorobyov. I'm sure he and his agent have noticed that.

Exactly, if he comes to the US and kicks ass, he'll be on the short list for call ups. Another thing they probably noticed, the Flyers aren't flushed with NHL ready forwards.

Aside from Lindblom, that's about it. Everybody else is Bottom 6 ceilings

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's not impossible Vecchione ends up in the AHL to start 17-18, but even then there would still be a center spot in the top 6 for Vorobyov.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
That's the writer's strongest argument. If he plays in NA, he is most likely in the AHL and within the entry level system he earns $100k at most, his next KHL contract will pay him more. (The role in Lehigh Valley doesn't matter in that context)

(The article is wrong on many other points though)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he signs an ELC he will get a $92,500 signing bonus, then a salary of $70,000 if he plays in the AHL all season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's the writer's strongest argument. If he plays in NA, he is most likely in the AHL and within the entry level system he earns $100k at most, his next KHL contract will pay him more. (The role in Lehigh Valley doesn't matter in that context)

(The article is wrong on many other points though)

I am sure he is not as short-sighted (or biased) as that goofy writer. The path to real money is to come over, acclimate to North America and get himself on track for a spot on the Flyers, where he will earn real coin. There's no reason he needs to stay over there to make a bit more (relative) pocket change for the next year or three. It's just another example of their "Canada bad, Russia good" mentality. In the end, I don't blame them - their exciting players are leaving and they would rather watch them at home - it makes sense. For them. As fans.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Exactly, if he comes to the US and kicks ass, he'll be on the short list for call ups. Another thing they probably noticed, the Flyers aren't flushed with NHL ready forwards.

I disagree. Kase may be a long, Aube Kubel may be a long shot as well but both have talent. Aube Kubel has not been given any pp time. I will be curious to see how he does next year. Kase is physically weak. It will be interesting to see how he performs after putting on more weight this summer.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
He definitely would not be buried on the Phantoms. That is silly. Vorobyov is a super quality prospect.
I don't disagree. If there's spots open on the Phantoms, then that's great. I just would rather not see him stuck behind a bunch of vets like NAK and Fazleev were this year. I know the Phantoms had 5 or 6 veteran forwards this year, are most of them leaving?

It'd be awesome if he could come over and get a real opportunity in the Phantoms' top 6, then compete the year after for Filpulla's spot.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Plus Filppula only has one year left and depending on how the Flyers season goes, might not be on the roster past the trade deadline. So there is tremendous opportunity for Voroybov.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Plus Filppula only has one year left and depending on how the Flyers season goes, might not be on the roster past the trade deadline. So there is tremendous opportunity for Voroybov.

And Vorobyov is a heckuva player. Big, strong, fast and skilled. Has a nose for the and superior passing vision. Whether it's a C or wing, he's going to be a Flyer regular by 2018-19 for sure.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I expect him to stay at center with his size and playmaking ability, but it would be funny to see him out there on Couturier's wing since their body type is so similar.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
And Vorobyov is a heckuva player. Big, strong, fast and skilled. Has a nose for the and superior passing vision. Whether it's a C or wing, he's going to be a Flyer regular by 2018-19 for sure.
I have only seen him in the junior tournament and was pleasantly surprised. He reminds me of Couturier. Always seemingly in the right spot, good on the boards, good vision/passer but he was a little heavy legged. Seemed a little more fiesty/aggressive that Couts. I think he has a better chance of being a long term asset than Rubstov not because of skill but intangibles.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

He's a center. I can't even imagine him on the wing.

I have only seen him in the junior tournament and was pleasantly surprised. He reminds me of Couturier. Always seemingly in the right spot, good on the boards, good vision/passer but he was a little heavy legged. Seemed a little more fiesty/aggressive that Couts. I think he has a better chance of being a long term asset than Rubstov not because of skill but intangibles.

I have no clue what you are trying to say about Rubtsov. All the positive attributes you listed apply to Rubtsov. What intangibles is he missing? I'm dumbfounded here.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

I have no clue what you are trying to say about Rubtsov. All the positive attributes you listed apply to Rubtsov. What intangibles is he missing? I'm dumbfounded here.

Hard to put into words and i could be completely wrong as he matures physically and mentally but I just get the feeling something isn't right with Rubstov between the ears. Watching him play only a few times he is nothing like what i saw with Vorobyov. More skilled, faster but doesn't read the game nearly as well and nowhere near as tough and determined. The KHL debacle, WJC and now with Chicoutimi always dinged up or some issue, maybe its a string of bad luck/situations but the radar is definitely up for me with him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Vorobyov was born on January 5th, 1997. He's listed at 6'2" 202 lbs.

638468260.jpg

Rubtsov was born on June 27h, 1998. He's listed as 6'0" 190 lbs.

1300804-german-rubtsov-demontre-tout-talent.jpg

There's a fair gap in maturity between the two right now. They're not on the same development curve.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Vorobyov's skills and size would translate nicely to the wing, and I believe, iirc, he did play some wing this year. A lot of Jr C's end up on the wing (see: every NHL roster), and I could see him on Rubtsov's wing some day (or vice versa).

Agreed on Rubtsov - he's a better, more talented player than Vorobyov, just a bit smaller for now. He was the youngest guy on the WJC team, but he played very well in the SuperSeries vs CHL teams and in the Q. I have no doubt, based on his smarts and skill, that he'll end up being a very good NHLer.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hard to put into words and i could be completely wrong as he matures physically and mentally but I just get the feeling something isn't right with Rubstov between the ears. Watching him play only a few times he is nothing like what i saw with Vorobyov. More skilled, faster but doesn't read the game nearly as well and nowhere near as tough and determined. The KHL debacle, WJC and now with Chicoutimi always dinged up or some issue, maybe its a string of bad luck/situations but the radar is definitely up for me with him.

Saying Rubtsov isn't tough and determined is where you lose me. He has a high motor all over the ice imo. Watching him on the forecheck stalk the puck is a thing of beauty.

I get that you're skeptical because of his injury issues this year. But I don't think you can hold the KHL or WJC against him at all. That's out of his hands and pretty common given his age. When he has played, he's been very good.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeh, Rubtsov has a great motor and is really good defensively.

As for Vorobyov, he played pretty much every game in the KHL at center this season - he sometimes did not take draws and winger did - but he was 99% of time at C.

Vorobyov is also 207 lbs now - and probably 6'3 tbh.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

3 broken bones is bad luck. It's not "injury prone"

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Saying Rubtsov isn't tough and determined is where you lose me. He has a high motor all over the ice imo. Watching him on the forecheck stalk the puck is a thing of beauty.

I get that you're skeptical because of his injury issues this year. But I don't think you can hold the KHL or WJC against him at all. That's out of his hands and pretty common given his age. When he has played, he's been very good.

I hope your are right. As i stated i have only seen him and Vorobyov a few times but wouldn't be surprised at all if Vorobyov doesn't have a better NHL career.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I hope your are right. As i stated i have only seen him and Vorobyov a few times but wouldn't be surprised at all if Vorobyov doesn't have a better NHL career.

Good to know your basing your opinion on an inadequate amount of information and coming to a completely bogus conclusion. Good luck in your new role in Trump's Cabinet. ;)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As long as Giroux and Couturier are locking down those center positions, Rubtsov and Vorobyov are probably competing for one spot in the near future (I mean that's the hope anyway, unless one is at 4C, but we obviously hope they hit and are contributing more). To me, I can't see Vorobyov at wing. Just can't. He has no real holes in his game and looks every bit the part of a center. It's like picturing Coots on the wing. Rubtsov......well we know he can play wing, and he's certainly the faster, more dynamic player offensively. Way easier to see him starting out there at least.

Hell, they'd probably look great on a 3rd line together to start. Just stick a more natural finisher on that RW.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
As long as Giroux and Couturier are locking down those center positions, Rubtsov and Vorobyov are probably competing for one spot in the near future (I mean that's the hope anyway, unless one is at 4C, but we obviously hope they hit and are contributing more). To me, I can't see Vorobyov at wing. Just can't. He has no real holes in his game and looks every bit the part of a center. It's like picturing Coots on the wing. Rubtsov......well we know he can play wing, and he's certainly the faster, more dynamic player offensively. Way easier to see him starting out there at least.

Hell, they'd probably look great on a 3rd line together to start. Just stick a more natural finisher on that RW.

2018-2019
Lindblom Giroux Voracek
Rubtsov Voroybov Konecny
Weiss Couturier Schenn

Not a bad top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad