Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
This is the goalie Hextall was the only GM to interview, correct? If so, happy Hexy got his guy.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
After we traded up to get Konecny, I'm very pleased that we still got some good goalie prospects. Hakstol has nothing but good things to say about Tomek, and we might get the King's goalie coach?

Next goalie coach?

Kim Dillabaugh, 37, who is Los Angeles' roving goaltender instructor, reportedly is the frontrunner to become the Flyers' goalie coach. He knows Flyers general manager Ron Hextall from Hextall's days as an assistant GM with the Kings.

Under goalie coach Bill Ranford and Dillabaugh, Kings netminders have flourished.

Goalie coach Jeff Reese and the Flyers mutually agreed to part ways last March. Reese, who lives in Haddonfield and was at Friday's draft, was recently hired as Dallas' goalie coach.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...k_in_Flyers__sights_.html#zQ3g5RER93fp7xPh.99

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wanted the guy at 70 and would have been ok with him at #61 when we had that pick.

Steal at 90, absolute steal. For me he was in competition for the 3rd best goalie in the draft after Samsonov and Blackwood. (with Vladar and him jinking for #3.)

ATLhockey437

Jun 6, 2009
Great pick. This has potential to turn out to be one of the steals of the draft. He's a great kid and very respectful. I'm really excited for flyers fans. I work for the roadrunners affiliate team. We were in the same building so I was around him often. Got to shoot on him a couple times. I honestly think I was 3/75.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wanted the guy at 70 and would have been ok with him at #61 when we had that pick.

Steal at 90, absolute steal. For me he was in competition for the 3rd best goalie in the draft after Samsonov and Blackwood. (with Vladar and him jinking for #3.)

It is kind of weird they got Sandstrom 20 spots earlier, but that's the draft for you.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They got Provorov, Konecny, & Tomek. Where's that dream scenario thread?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hextall must have seen something in Sandstrom. Odd selection in an otherwise brilliant draft.

And Antero Niittymaki must have been convincing in meetings held (with this goalie taken). More often than not, a GM will rely on his scouts in these situations and specifically the scouts assigned to a certain region. Ultimately, it is a GM's decision but an influential scout can sway the decision.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
And Antero Niittymaki must have been convincing in meetings held (with this goalie taken). More often than not, a GM will rely on his scouts in these situations and specifically the scouts assigned to a certain region. Ultimately, it is a GM's decision but an influential scout can sway the decision.

Brian Boucher said on the air that Neil Little had Sandstrom ranked in his top 3 goalies. I would assume it was Little's call.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You can't scout a goalie on youtube, but just watching some clips he looks extremely calm in net and looks to have pretty good rebound control. Looks like a puck hitting a pillow at times. Look forward to seeing how he does next year at UND. Should be in line to play a lot, but you never know.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
You can't scout a goalie on youtube, but just watching some clips he looks extremely calm in net and looks to have pretty good rebound control. Looks like a puck hitting a pillow at times. Look forward to seeing how he does next year at UND. Should be in line to play a lot, but you never know.
That would be pretty awesome if he won the starter job as a true freshman and didn't look back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hextall must have seen something in Sandstrom. Odd selection in an otherwise brilliant draft.

The Flyers should have seen enough of him... considering he is Lindbloms teammate... though tbh they only played by my count 5 games together last season, 3 in SHL, 2 in junior.

He does have some really project-able attributes and has already played vs men at his age.

bobbyboucher24

May 9, 2002
Philadelphia, USA
Visit site
Speaking of Little and Niitty, I once bumped into Neil at a bar. It was slow so we chatted for about 30 min. At the time Niitty and Pitkanen were both with the Phantoms I believe because of a work stoppage. Pitkanen was ov course the higher rates prospect but Neil in his opinion was WAY higher on Niitty. Absolutely was convinced he was going to be a star

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad