Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We get him anyways

6a01348829760c970c01b7c7a5909e970b-800wi

matej-tomek-nestandard2.jpg

------------------------
From NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?cat=3&dpid=98719&sort=lastName&year=2015

• Final Rank (North American Goalies): 5
  • Midterm Rank (North American Goalies): 4
  • Position: Goalie
  • Catches: Left
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 180
  • Born: May 24, 1997
  • Hometown: Bratislava, Slovakia
  • Born in: Bratislava, SVK

Tomek won seven of his first eight outings with the RoadRunners in 2014-15 – a stretch that included four of his six shutouts – en route to a 24-7-2 record in 33 games and North American Hockey League Goaltender of the Year honors. The Bratislava, Slovakia native ranked among the League leaders in goals-against average (2nd: 1.83), shutouts (t-2nd: 6), save percentage (5th: .928) and wins (t-5th: 24) as a 17-year-old.

He represented Slovakia at the 2014 Under-18 World Junior Championship, backstopping the club to its only victory with 23 saves in a 4-1 win over Germany.

---------------------------

Media reports following the selection:

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2015/06/27/flyers-draft-goalies/29398571/

"Going in we thought we'd get two," Hextall said. "The kid there, the second one we picked, we didn't think he was gonna be there and he was. We took a whack. Goalies are tough. There's so much mental involved and they're hard to hit on. We had a lot of picks this year at spots where we felt comfortable with it."

--------------------------
http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20150627/third-round-yields-a-couple-of-goalie-prospects-for-flyers

“I was attending goalie schools in Sweden and they kind of teach that style,” Tomek said. “That kind of Swedish style is what I try to do, just stay square to the puck because that gives you the best positioning and opportunities to stop the puck.”

Tomek put that experience to work last season, his first on this side of the pond. He signed on to play for Topeka, in the NAHL, the league that Stolarz thought was his best junior option several years ago. Tomek did quite well, posting a 1.83 GAA and .928 saves percentage along with six shutouts.

“It’s a really good league for developing the goaltenders,” Tomek said. “We have a good setup for developing them there so I’m really happy.”

Now he’s looking forward to developing his game at the American college ranks, at a place where the new Flyers head coach is sure to be keeping an eye on him.

“I’m looking forward to go to North Dakota and my goal is to be the No. 1 goaltender there and compete for a job,” Tomek said. When asked how he feels about being part of the Flyers’ organization, he added, “It’s good because of the competition I have to face, and it’s also good because they don’t have a big depth chart for goalies, so it’s good for them, too.”

-----------------------------------

Team Owner Don Stone II stated, “Congratulations to Matej and his family.” He would add, “Our organization exists to help players develop to reach their goals. The whole organization works extremely hard behind the scenes to promote players to the next level and watching a player reach his ultimate goal makes the entire organization extremely proud.”

Topeka Head Coach and GM Scott Langer adds “He’s an exceptional young man who has worked very hard to earn this opportunity. The Flyers organization is getting a solid asset, and we look forward to following his progress.”

http://ksnt.com/2015/06/27/roadrunners-goalie-matej-tomek-drafted-by-flyers/

---------------------------

According to one source, the name is pronounced: Mat-TAY TOE-meck

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
SUNRISE, Fla. - New Flyers coach Dave Hakstol gave a strong scouting report on goalie Matej Tomek, whom the Flyers may select during the final day of the NHL draft Saturday.

Hakstol recruited Tomek for the University of North Dakota, and the player will be a freshman at the school. He will be considered if he's available when the Flyers make their first third-round pick (70st overall), acquired in the Tye McGinn trade with San Jose.

Playing in the North American Hockey League last season, the 6-foot-2, 180-pound Tomek had a 1.83 goals-against average and .928 save percentage.

"The first thing that strikes me about Matej is his overall maturity - and his ability to self-evaluate his game and the calmness he plays with," Hakstol said after the Flyers selected defenseman Ivan Provorov with the seventh overall pick Friday. "There's not a lot of wasted motion or movement there. Obviously, I was excited to have him come to North Dakota. I'm sure he'll have a large role there on that team."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...k_in_Flyers__sights_.html#kxFgT3fBaubAgfhs.99

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
After neglecting the goaltending position for more than a decade, finally a couple of high quality prospects. I'm fine with that.:)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right now I want to clone Ron Hextall so that we can have more Ron Hextalls

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
I like this pick. We really don't have any goalie prospects. Now we have two and hope one pans out. Stolarz was pretty underwhelming this year, I don't see him as a future starter.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Yep. We need some forwards now, but I'd rather get the d-men and goalies first anyway, since they take longer to develop.

Yeah and considering the group we have currently in the nhl is pretty young and we have guys like cousins, aube-kubel and koneckny I'm very excited. Maybe we can pipe dream hexy can con some teams into giving us some young guys up front for our cap dumps lol

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I like. Goalies aren't easy to predict or develop so getting a couple of good bets is nice. Konecny is a great add to our forward pool and our forwards at the NHL level are mostly set for a couple years. Our D pool is set. So might as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad