Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 90: Matej Tomek, G, Topeka (USHL) --> North Dakota (NCHC)

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
Bias aside, I honestly believe he'll end up the best goalie from this draft. Yes, even better than Samsonov (keep in mind the depth Caps have now on that position so it will be hard for him to succeed...very strange pick for them)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Brian Boucher said on the air that Neil Little had Sandstrom ranked in his top 3 goalies. I would assume it was Little's call.

Niitty supposedly is the scout for European goalies and especially in light of today's confirmation that Little is no longer employed with the organization, I will say it is likely more so Niitty than Little. But time will tell.

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Well it's good to see hexy being active in bringing his people into the mix, promoting guys Pryor, using nitty as euro goalie scout, firing guys from old regime little,Reese, berube, letting Murray go to Buffalo, hiring hakstol and dillabough and whomever else he likes. If his plan works the city is gonna love him.

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
0 games played so far according to eliteprospect(.)com, is he injured? If not, is it possible he leaves to play somewhere for some playing time? It's dissapointing to see no game yet this season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I knew he was injured to start the year, but I haven't kept up on UND much this month other than seeing that he's never in the lineup. When he's ready I'm sure he'll be in the lineup.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
His original return date from surgery and recovery was supposed to be between the middle and end of October.

But he only began skating in early November I believe. He seemed close to ready in mid November... but has suffered some setback apparently.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Traveled for the first time last weekend to Michigan State. Did not see any playing time. We (UND) could really use him as we had been playing a walk-on most of the year and he performed admirably but Tomek should really help later on.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
According to UND's beat writer, Brad Schlossman, he does not expect Tomek to play until after Christmas.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's a bummer. Is it because of the injury or is he going to the World Juniors?

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
Not glad about the injury, but its kind of makes me feel better than being a healthy scratch all season, sounds a bit wrong :laugh:

I guess that cuts out the thought of him moving.

Last edited:

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
Not glad about the injury, but its kind of makes me feel better than being a healthy scratch all season, sounds a bit wrong :laugh:

I guess that cuts out the thought of him moving.

If he would have been healthy right away he would have been our #1.

What was the thought of him moving?

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Probably not as a starter but probably still a viable option for one of the other two goaltending slots. The Slovaks aren't a deeply talented country.

They aren't deeply talented but they are in goal.

Huska and Pajpach have both played more games as far as NHL prospects go and Pavlas, Cibulka and Hrenak have all played far more as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd rather he'd be cautious and get 100% healed, coming back too quickly and redamaging a knee can ruin a career.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Started for Slovakia u20's today in their first game of the season. Which is a good sign for him being starter come WJC.

He stopped 28/31 as his Slovak team lost 3-1 to Czech counterparts. They were outshot 31-17.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Started for Slovakia u20's today in their first game of the season. Which is a good sign for him being starter come WJC.

He stopped 28/31 as his Slovak team lost 3-1 to Czech counterparts. They were outshot 31-17.

Imagine....if Tomek, Sandstrom and Hart were all starters in the WJC...lol.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

You think he starts over Huska? I think Huska would have to fall on his face not to get first crack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->