Prospect Info: Round 3 - Pick #89 - C Trevor Kuntar - Boston College / NCAA - 20/21

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Should be interesting to see how the BC kid plays. At least most of us will be able to keep tabs on him since he plays in HockeyEast and in the biggest college hockey program with top prospects like McBain, Newhook, Knight and company.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
But hopefully a better skating version
Vatrano is a fine skater. He just has rocks for brains and the puck dies on his stick. This kids career will be completely dependent on if he can think the game fast enough. And i didnt see any reports on him saying he was a great skater.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Led his team in scoring by a LOT. Also led his team in PIMs.

Not much not to like about his game (on paper from scouting reports/stats). But he was passed over in the last draft and is an overage draftee and that always skews the analysis.

Personally? It’s a third round pick and after the first two rounds, I see the NHL Draft as more about fit than ranking. Kuntar checks all the right boxes from the standpoints of talent and philosophy. I’m a fan.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If the Bruins had picked Torey Krug in the 2nd or 3rd round of the 2010 Draft, how many people would have ripped them for taking an undersized overager?
Drives me nuts, all these people who have never seen any of these kids play a second but are already ripping it for the most ridiculous reasons. Who cares his age now, as long as he ends up an NHLer in the end

Reactions: 35moog35

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Love the angst in this thread
However I do like this pick
This kid is at least one year behind players that are the same age and playing college / OHL hockey now.
This worries me.
Lets give him a year and see the stats and the development.
He will be 20 in June next year.
BTW, Beecher is 2 months older than this player.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Led his team in scoring by a LOT. Also led his team in PIMs.

Not much not to like about his game (on paper from scouting reports/stats). But he was passed over in the last draft and is an overage draftee and that always skews the analysis.

Personally? It’s a third round pick and after the first two rounds, I see the NHL Draft as more about fit than ranking. Kuntar checks all the right boxes from the standpoints of talent and philosophy. I’m a fan.
I think if he was a 5th or 6th pick I would agree with you.
He was taken too early.

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
Drives me nuts, all these people who have never seen any of these kids play a second but are already ripping it for the most ridiculous reasons. Who cares his age now, as long as he ends up an NHLer in the end
You’re missing the point. The people who are critical aren’t criticizing the players drafted, but the Bruins asset management in going way off the board getting players that in all likelihood would be available in later rounds. It hasn’t been a good look since 2015 as the organization has yet to hit on any of these picks.

Sure sometimes guys are late bloomers, but there’s usually a reason they were initially passed on. How often do Torey Krug’s come around? And in the case with the bruins recently, drafting guys without very high ceilings.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You’re missing the point. The people who are critical aren’t criticizing the players drafted, but the Bruins asset management in going way off the board getting players that in all likelihood would be available in later rounds. It hasn’t been a good look since 2015 as the organization has yet to hit on any of these picks.

Sure sometimes guys are late bloomers, but there’s usually a reason they were initially passed on. How often do Torey Krug’s come around? And in the case with the bruins recently, drafting guys without very high ceilings.
I'm just not a fan of declaring a prospect a bust moments after he's drafted. I imagine if this kid ended up a top pairing Dman and ended up going 2 picks after where the Brujns went, the Bruins brass would be relentlessly bashed for not picking him. On the contrary if he ends up a solid NHLer, I really don't care if they could've drafted him with the last pick in the draft, it's all about the value you ended up getting.

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
I'm just not a fan of declaring a prospect a bust moments after he's drafted. I imagine if this kid ended up a top pairing Dman and ended up going 2 picks after where the Brujns went, the Bruins brass would be relentlessly bashed for not picking him. On the contrary if he ends up a solid NHLer, I really don't care if they could've drafted him with the last pick in the draft, it's all about the value you ended up getting.
Who said anything about these prospects being busts? It’s a pretty certain bet, unless Sweeney had this info prior, Lohrei wasn’t going in the second round and Kuntar was rated lower.

They wouldn’t have been bashed because no one saw the pick coming. So either it’s a genius move, or more unnecessary reaches where we could have drafted someone slotted in that range, and still get the guy they wanted later on. Other teams seem to be able to trade down and gain an additional asset back, not us for some reason.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
FWIW, I just read a scouting report on Kuntar that knocked his skating, and two minutes later, read something from Ryan Nadeau where he talked about how much Kuntar's skating has improved. I guess we'll find out.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
For all those complaining about him be an overager in the USHL know that 19 out the 24 players on the Phantoms roster last year were older than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00