Prospect Info: Round 3 - Pick #89 - C Trevor Kuntar - Boston College / NCAA - 20/21

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
FWIW, I just read a scouting report on Kuntar that knocked his skating, and two minutes later, read something from Ryan Nadeau where he talked about how much Kuntar's skating has improved. I guess we'll find out.

Reading while he has good straight line speed/power skating. The east/west, tight turns could be better.

Overall he plays hard, physical and has a nice shot/soft hands

Could end up a steal for a 3rd round pick.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Bruins are very clearly targeting players that could turn into an Alex Killorn type power-forward. I think Neely has seen enough of the Bjorks and Heinens. Will be interesting, chasing size is usually where they screw up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Reading while he has good straight line speed/power skating. The east/west, tight turns could be better.

Overall he plays hard, physical and has a nice shot/soft hands

Could end up a steal for a 3rd round pick.
I picked him in our SIM league 2 months ago

while off due to COVID for 3 months I spent hours sitting on my back deck reading Draft Guides and watching video on prospects

Although I know nothing of the D they picked first I probably spent more time researching Kuntar then I did preparing for the SATs

I really like this pick and the other two as well - studied Langenbrunner a lot also

weird the only one they drafted I didn’t know was their top pick

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Bruins are very clearly targeting players that could turn into an Alex Killorn type power-forward. I think Neely has seen enough of the Bjorks and Heinens. Will be interesting, chasing size is usually where they screw up.

Chasing size is definitely a mistake, but chasing competitiveness isn't. I think that's what they are doing. If you could combine bjork and heinen into one player you'd end up with a pretty decent player.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
This kid is at least one year behind players that are the same age and playing college / OHL hockey now.
This worries me.
Lets give him a year and see the stats and the development.
He will be 20 in June next year.
BTW, Beecher is 2 months older than this player.
Doesn't matter,every kid has his own developmental timeline, when organizations get inpatient that's when they get into trouble, see JFK

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Doesn't matter,every kid has his own developmental timeline, when organizations get inpatient that's when they get into trouble, see JFK

Yeah, you have to wonder where JFK would be now if they hadn't pressured/enticed him to come out early. Maybe still back in Sweden, but then again, he looked like a guy that needed some more seasoning and probably some more of the physical robustness that comes with age. I hope they don't do that with Kuntar.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, you have to wonder where JFK would be now if they hadn't pressured/enticed him to come out early. Maybe still back in Sweden, but then again, he looked like a guy that needed some more seasoning and probably some more of the physical robustness that comes with age. I hope they don't do that with Kuntar.
I think JFK is more of an odd tale. His last season in the US he had problems happen back home. When he got home I think he realized how much he missed home since he moved out at 16. From there I think his desire to play hockey waned some. Now for Kuntar I'm not at all worried about the physical aspect for him. I mean he is 6 feet 203.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think JFK is more of an odd tale. His last season in the US he had problems happen back home. When he got home I think he realized how much he missed home since he moved out at 16. From there I think his desire to play hockey waned some. Now for Kuntar I'm not at all worried about the physical aspect for him. I mean he is 6 feet 203.

You are right, he had home issues. Yet you can wonder how that might have played out had those issues arisen while he was a college student and was perhaps able to come and go a bit more freely. I was not making a direct comparison anyway, just the idea that some kids in various ways can really benefit from a maturing process before being asked to turn professional. JFK was probably one of them, no matter what transpired. Kuntar is definitely on a development trajectory so I hope they leave him doing that till he's ready rather than rush him to try and fill a spot because they screwed up the roster.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

interesting comparison. Lofty ceiling

nice hit

nice shot

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Was anyone able to watch him play last season (Boston College)? Stats look ok for a rookie

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Was anyone able to watch him play last season (Boston College)? Stats look ok for a rookie
He was leaned on a lot while the big names on the team were either hurt or chasing Gold at the World Juniors, performed pretty well, overall pretty solid Freshman year and I would expect more points and ice time next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad