Prospect Info: Round 2 - Pick #58 - D Mason Lohrei - Green Bay Gamblers / USHL - 20/21

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Would you be happy if he's the 58th best player in the draft? I think we all know that anything past the first round is basically a lottery ticket. How many truly good players come out of each draft? 158 vs 58 may be a smaller gap than you think.

Much like the mlb draft the gap is very negligible

Reactions: PeanutButter37

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Really, really, really, really value him. Grow a pair DS. It will be okay.
Yep, but again it just takes one team. They likely didn't want to take that risk, time will tell us if this pick was great or a huge huge dud.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Elite Prospects had Boston taking Roni Hirvonen, at 5'9" I wouldn't be to login here nor anyone else I think.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
When thinking about consensus picks, let's just take a moment to think about how Nick Ritchie, Lawson Crowse, and Sonny Milano were ranked higher in some places than David Pastrnak.

And also think about how many players Zach Hamill was ranked ahead of.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Not a lot of highlight videos for Lohrie, so I went back and looked through some USHL game highlights to find what I could. Lohrie is #20 in white for most of these:

1:56: Lone defender back in a 4-on-1, moments later he helps Green Bay transition the other way.
4:49: Secondary assist on a play where he starts behind the other team's net

2:00: Nice breakout pass from the left circle to the opposite side of rink at the red line, leads to a 2-on-1 and a goal scoring opportunity.
3:15: Good stick check to win possession, but then gives it right back with an ill-advised turnover behind his own net.
4:55: Playing the left point on the PP, makes a bad decision to try to stickhandle around a penalty killer, nearly gives the puck away.

1:15: Goal on a wrist shot from the point.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
When thinking about consensus picks, let's just take a moment to think about how Nick Ritchie, Lawson Crowse, and Sonny Milano were ranked higher in some places than David Pastrnak.

And also think about how many players Zach Hamill was ranked ahead of.
Not many guys are capable of scoring at a point per game clip as a 20 year old. Zach Hamil did that.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Heinen was in the 2014 draft, which was the last draft under Chiarelli. Other notable reaches were Frederic, DeBrusk, and Beecher.

Frederic: Viewed as a late 2nd-early 3rd round pick, and Brian Lawton said he talked to 20 teams and none of them had Frederic in their top 50.

DeBrusk: Consensus was that he was a late 1st round pick (25-29 range). Although a "hit," it was a poor/mismanaged pick because Connor/Barzal/Konecny were all viewed at the time as being vastly superior players, and they have all panned out to be superior players 5 years later.

Beecher: Was viewed as a mid 2nd round pick and has limited offensive upside. Although it has only been one year, he didn't exactly have a season that blew people away, whereas Bobby Brink and Arthur Kaliyev, who were viewed as superior players which greater offensive upside at the time of the draft, had much better seasons.

Kaliyev absolutely can't skate at an NHL level. If
he doesn't significantly improve it his goalscoring
acumen will be limitred and he'll bust.

Brink is talented but he isn't the second coming of
DeBrincat. You and I completely disagree about Beecher.
I saw him live in Michigan at the WJSS and he was really good.
He wasn't nearly as bad as people like yourself made him out to be at The WJC. He had one of the highest zone exit
and entrance numbers on the team. He wasn't good but wasn't god awful.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
lol Ryan Suter was a 7th overall pick

You really just post every thought that pops into your head, don't you?
So are you saying only 7th overall picks can be compared to Ryan Suter? He's commenting on what he's read about his style, no reason to be a dink about it.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Bruins liked him. That's ok. But the smart move is to trade down and get a 4th that you don't have. Now I'm ok with the pick.

Reactions: Drunkenfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad