Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

To add more context... what has been really pleasing is not actually the production, though a good bonus.

If I were a coach and talked to him at end of last season would have said to focus on:

1. Improving skating.
2. Picking spots better at blue-line... while still being aggressive.
3. Making better decisions on outlets, make easy play more often instead of trying crazy stuff.
4. Get stronger.

And tbh he looks like he has done all four to a degree.

In turn he has looked like the player he was at u-20 level in Allsvenskan.

Still a way to go to NHL. But this season has been more positive so far than would have guessed going into it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Impressive production. I was looking to see of any comparables and Wilsby, Ekholm, and Norlinder are the only noteworthy players/prospects who even played in Allsvenskan as 19/20 year olds and they were all of the late-blooming profile. Tim Heed also would probably fit the bill also. Likely won't matter if he continues this pace.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Impressive production. I was looking to see of any comparables and Wilsby, Ekholm, and Norlinder are the only noteworthy players/prospects who even played in Allsvenskan as 19/20 year olds and they were all of the late-blooming profile. Likely won't matter if he continues this pace.

I am also glad the production is not just stacking up PP points. Everyone knows he can shoot and pass with free ice.

But so far 10/12 are at EV or SH.

His skating still needs to improve. But it is better.
And apart from 1st game of season have not seen him make any of those super regular mistakes (I.E. losing puck under pressure trying to skate it out, or whiffing at blue-line being too aggressive to deny zone entry) he did last year.

Still a way to go. But yeh, really positive. As much as could hope for really after 10 games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It is an unusual circumstance, he's basically in Allsvenskan b/c his team got demoted, not because he's not good enough for the SHL.
But he's doing what you want a prospect to do, dominating at an age appropriate level

Where would Allsvenskan rank? I have them somewhere around top NCAA hockey, above CHL and below AHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Looks great. Almost every game just heads and shoulders above the other Dmen in the league.

His skating and decision making look faaar better this year and they are the two areas where struggled at times last year.

Hopefully by the time he looks NHL ready we have a new GM/Coach that see past size when it comes to young defensemen.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hopefully by the time he looks NHL ready we have a new GM/Coach that see past size when it comes to young defensemen.

He can be a POS who throws himself around at least aha.
And would not shock me if he was ~190+lbs right now.
And seems to relish PKing.

So that might help. But yeh. That column in the profile does not help with a lot of NHL GMs and coaches.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Desnoyers' post draft development is encouraging but it's tough to shake that two of his closest draft year comps were Rinaldo and Goulbourne. :laugh:

Certainly could have been his outlier season but history suggests he's still a long shot to be an impact player.

edit: wrong thread but I'm not moving it.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I dont care
That's because it renders your point nonsensical.

There were plenty of 6'2" or bigger, non-"sMoL" non-"offensive capable" players they could have drafted instead of Andrae.
(Or instead of York. Or instead of Brink. Or instead of Tuomaala.)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He can be a POS who throws himself around at least aha.
And would not shock me if he was ~190+lbs right now.
And seems to relish PKing.

So that might help. But yeh. That column in the profile does not help with a lot of NHL GMs and coaches.

Well, we have a GM who is comfortable with short defensemen.
Some guy named Spurgy or Sturgeon or something like that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Desnoyers' post draft development is encouraging but it's tough to shake that two of his closest draft year comps were Rinaldo and Goulbourne. :laugh:

Certainly could have been his outlier season but history suggests he's still a long shot to be an impact player.

edit: wrong thread but I'm not moving it.

So what? It's what you do now that counts, he's having a PD+2 (but really a continuation of PD+1, given COVID shortened seasons) that would match him with most 1st rd forwards. And because he spent his first couple CHL seasons in a defensive role, you don't have to worry about teaching him fundamentals.

Nor is he being carried by the 1st rd pick on his line, quite the opposite, Desnoyers has been the straw that stirs the drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad