Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 54: Emil Andrae, D, HV71 (SHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At 18 he belongs playing big minutes in Allsvenskan than 3rd pair in the SHL.
We saw how much it helped Hogberg play a bigger role on offense in Allsvenskan and sharpen his skills, and he's an experienced SHL veteran.
I don't think it does these kids any favors by burying them for years in secondary roles in the SHL.

Reactions: dats81

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At 18 he belongs playing big minutes in Allsvenskan than 3rd pair in the SHL.
We saw how much it helped Hogberg play a bigger role on offense in Allsvenskan and sharpen his skills, and he's an experienced SHL veteran.
I don't think it does these kids any favors by burying them for years in secondary roles in the SHL.

Especially when some of what was burying him was - arguably - politics...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Probably also the incentive structure, whereas an AHL coach can advance by producing players out of prospects, a SHL coach is expected to win games to keep his job, so he's going to be wary of playing inexperienced players in major roles.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Probably also the incentive structure, whereas an AHL coach can advance by producing players out of prospects, a SHL coach is expected to win games to keep his job, so he's going to be wary of playing inexperienced players in major roles.

I mean... in this case from what I know was some specific non hockey reasons that arguably came into play. (which were to do with coach and not Andrae)

Andrae was the 4th best Dman when he did play.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How is Simon Bertilsson making out these days?

Has fell off a bit this year back in SHL after KHL stint. But hard to say how much of that is the team. Brynas's best Dman but not saying much.

Is having the best offensive year of his career... but that is partially as Brynas use him on PP as rest of D have really sucked. Him and Björk are only ones who have played decently.

From 2013-19 was routinely one of the best D first Dmen in Europe.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on him. He carries that D on his back and if he had not been injured maybe Ersson would have had an easier time.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Has fell off a bit this year back in SHL after KHL stint. But hard to say how much of that is the team. Brynas's best Dman but not saying much.

Is having the best offensive year of his career... but that is partially as Brynas use him on PP as rest of D have really sucked. Him and Björk are only ones who have played decently.

From 2013-19 was routinely one of the best D first Dmen in Europe.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on him. He carries that D on his back and if he had not been injured maybe Ersson would have had an easier time.
Wonder why he never came over

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wonder why he never came over

Partially the weird 2 year signing window that happened between CBAs. (though that is a lame excuse)

Partially Flyers front office being poor at asset management. (not that he was a dead cert NHLer, but he was arguably the #2 or #3 D prospect at the time he was let go aha.)

He wanted to sign and they did not extend him an offer. A third round pick who had just gone to a WJC and was an SHL regular... they signed Blake Kessel instead.

And then signed Derek Mathers, Andrew Johnston, Matt Mangene and Matt Konan to ELCs and their much valued contract spots the year after.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Partially the weird 2 year signing window that happened between CBAs. (though that is a lame excuse)

Partially Flyers front office being poor at asset management. (not that he was a dead cert NHLer, but he was arguably the #2 or #3 D prospect at the time he was let go aha.)

He wanted to sign and they did not extend him an offer. A third round pick who had just gone to a WJC and was an SHL regular... they signed Blake Kessel instead.

And then signed Derek Mathers, Andrew Johnston, Matt Mangene and Matt Konan to ELCs and their much valued contract spots the year after.
why no interest from other clubs then as he was a free agent? def odd not to give him a shot seeing what they had at the time

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
why no interest from other clubs then as he was a free agent? def odd not to give him a shot seeing what they had at the time

Because his upside was a decent bottom pairing guy... and 29 other teams had better prospect pools at the time and their own prospects to sign with a contract limit.

He had NHL interest later on from what I have heard. Like 2017 or so... but same story for a lot of Euros... by that time dont want to take the risk to maybe be a #6 with a two-way contract where if get sent down earn less than at home with a worse standard of living while uprooting family.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you see him going back to the SHL or would he be interested in coming over next season after his unfortunate experience?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad