Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
So, it's official; Pup-N-Suds it is.

Cool! :naughty:

giphy.gif

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
It's not. Stop it right now.

Mais oui, bien sûr, mon capitaine!

Then, I think I'll go with "Pup."

It's a good, less formal version of Pup-N-Suds. :D

On a serious note about our little friend, here's a piece about Brink from a McKenzie article last last week. I knew about the Montreal name stuff, but not about playing (and scoring) on a broken ankle. The tie-in to the old Bobby Baun story is definitely cool.

If Brink — the gritty USHL scoring winger — isn’t one of the best stories of this whole draft class, it’s hard to imagine who tops him. Brink’s Dad Andy, owing to his great passion for the history of hockey, bestowed on his eldest son the name Bobby Orr Brink. He pondered whether to name him Bobby Orr Brink or Bobby Clarke Brink. If you think that’s a cool story, it gets even better. Bobby’s 16-year-old brother’s full name is Joseph Henry Brink and goes by Joe. Their 14-year-old brother’s full name is Henri Richard Brink. If you’re familiar with Montreal Canadian history — and Andy Brink is — you would know that Maurice (Rocket) Richard’s full name is Joseph Henri Maurice Richard. So Andy Brink went with Joseph and the English version of Henri for his middle son as a tribute to the Rocket and then went full Pocket Rocket Henri Richard Brink for the youngest boy, although Henri is pronounced Henry.

And there’s more.

After Bobby Brink scored the game-winning goal for Team USA in the World Junior A Challenge gold medal game last December — on what was later diagnosed as a broken ankle that caused him to miss six weeks of action — Andy wondered if he should have named his boy Bobby Baun Brink. Of course, Baun was the Toronto Maple Leaf defenceman who famously scored the overtime goal in Game 6 of the 1964 Stanley Cup final on a broken ankle.

Andy Brink is nothing if not a hockey historian.

Last edited:

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
I'm stoked about this pick. He went from totally not on anyone's radar to one of the highest PPG ratios in the USHL?? Amongst this USHL crop?? And after viewing it's obvious he has top notch offensive IQ and scoring touch. As awkward as it looks when he tries to get up to straightaway top speed, his agility and quickness in tight looks great. To me, he may not have too too much to fix. There's also a shot of his full frame in the main forum.. he looks like a prepubescent child. If Bobby has some filling out to do and maybe a tad bid of growing left, there really is no telling how much he could take off as a player at the next levels.
I have the same feeling as far as beeing stoked about this pick. For some reason I think about Mark Rechi, who was knocked for his skating but had a great NHL career. Brink must be super hi Hockey IQ in order to put up the numbers he did. Ironically this sounds like the opposite of what happened last year when Flyers drafted O'brien. He was really fast and offensively gifted, but put up a dud in his freshman season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Mais oui, bien sûr, mon capitaine!

Then, I think I'll go with "Pup."

It's a good, less formal version of Pup-N-Suds. :D

It's Binksy. Period. Binksy.

Even if I weren't the final arbiter of these things (and I am), even taking half of a DFF suggestion would be worthy of a month-long ban, if not a huge slap. You know better than that, Foggster.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Bobby Brink's ability to adapt and succeed at all levels is truly impressive.

Even rookie beach volleyball. #winner

He looks like a random kid photobombing the pic.

Somehow I’m guessing he had little to do with a beach volleyball win.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, so apologies if I missed it, but the beats interviewed Fletcher and it seems Brink's dad coached Fletcher's son and even taught him at school! I'm not suggesting any kind of cronyism, but it's another reminder of how incredibly small and incestuous the hockey world is, and every story like that rips a small crack into the confidence of drafting based on scouted merit.

Again, I absolutely wanted to draft Brink, but there's always something, isn't there? :scared:

Source:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, so apologies if I missed it, but the beats interviewed Fletcher and it seems Brink's dad coached Fletcher's son and even taught him at school! I'm not suggesting any kind of cronyism, but it's another reminder of how incredibly small and incestuous the hockey world is, and every story like that rips a small crack into the confidence of drafting based on scouted merit.

Again, I absolutely wanted to draft Brink, but there's always something, isn't there? :scared:

Source:

I’m going to cut Chuckles some slack on this. If all your scouts combine to rank a kid 20ish, it’s OK if the GM can vouch for him. Like Hexy knew Sanheim’s family from Manitoba. Character intel adds to the file, that’s all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad