Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
That's only U20 CHL players. End of the year college signings burn a year as soon as they play a game.
U20 European players too can have an entry slide to play in the AHL or European leagues. William Eklund's contract is going to slide for San Jose while he's in Sweden right now. Rantanen is a player that I know started in the NHL before playing in the AHL and had that year slide.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A bad team is exactly the team someone like Meyers should sign with, you'll get PT right away, and a chance to establish yourself as you go into your RFA years - instead of spending 2-3 years bouncing between the AHL and NHL and on the 4th line.

It's one thing for a player like Fox to threaten to go FA and pick his spot, he knew he'd be top 4 where ever he went.

Someone like Brink has upside, but isn't a sure thing, and could be buried on a deep team where there's no spot open on PP1 and they're not sure what role they'd like him to play - meanwhile with Atkinson out, Brink will play 15 minutes a night here and be penciled in the top 9, if no the top 6, and PP1 next year. So he could establish himself a year or two earlier than if he went to a deep playoff team.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A bad team is exactly the team someone like Meyers should sign with, you'll get PT right away, and a chance to establish yourself as you go into your RFA years - instead of spending 2-3 years bouncing between the AHL and NHL and on the 4th line.

It's one thing for a player like Fox to threaten to go FA and pick his spot, he knew he'd be top 4 where ever he went.

Someone like Brink has upside, but isn't a sure thing, and could be buried on a deep team where there's no spot open on PP1 and they're not sure what role they'd like him to play - meanwhile with Atkinson out, Brink will play 15 minutes a night here and be penciled in the top 9, if no the top 6, and PP1 next year. So he could establish himself a year or two earlier than if he went to a deep playoff team.

A bad team that will try to make him a bad player by obsessing over what he isn't instead of getting the most out of what he is (like the Flyers) is the worst place to sign.

He should go to a decent team where he will still play so he can put up better numbers and have a better chance of cashing in. It's totally bizarre to assume that being this bad is secretly good for attracting FAs.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
He already looks dead inside

FB_IMG_1649941639653.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
BB and TK should be able to play the left side. Might even be more effective making plays over there.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I have been quietly cheering for Brink since we drafted him. I was really nervous about how his game might translate to the NHL, though. I see why people are worried about his skating when the game is a wide open track meet, but he is REALLY good in tight spaces. I've been shocked by how well he's doing in one on one battles, on the boards, etc. . Also really impressed by how well and quickly he sees and thinks the game. He always seems a split second ahead of almost everyone else on the ice. Will be really interested to see what he can do if he ever plays with offensively skilled, creative linemates consistently.

I know this is garbage time, but he looks ready to be a top 6 contributor, right now. But what do I know?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brink was a RW in college, but TK and Atkinson are redundant, while Tippett provides real value, we've been complaining about a lack of speed for years, well, Tippett has size, speed and skill - he's not a rocket scientist on ice, but neither is TK for that matter.

Brink and Cates instantly up the hockey IQ of this team, along with York.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad