Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Ok so, not FULLY comparable but top 6 points per game in the USHL last year:

1) Turcotte - 2.125
2) Hughes - 2.0
3) Brink - 1.581
4) Boldy - 1.536
5) Zegras - 1.481
6) Caufield - 1.464

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok so, not FULLY comparable but top 6 points per game in the USHL last year:

1) Turcotte - 2.125
2) Hughes - 2.0
3) Brink - 1.581
4) Boldy - 1.536
5) Zegras - 1.481
6) Caufield - 1.464

That's crazy how much he out-produced some of these guys with so much less talent around him and at a younger age...

Reactions: sa cyred

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for already asking one of my questions re JOB. Seems like he is ahead of him at the time of drafting given his performance.

Other question: at what point in the first do you draft Brink and it’s called a reach?

Flyers are picking soon at 72

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So then what do you think Brinks scoring potential is?

I don't know. I'm pretty conservative to begin with. I'll just say that there's nothing his hands and hockey sense can't do. He can snipe snappers, take one timers, QB a PP, playmake for his linemates, dangle with his fast hands. His offensive versatility and creativity is sick.

It just comes down to fixing his skating (it's not broken, not mostly) and maturing his body. He's physically small, but he looks like a fire hydrant and attacks everything and anything. It's hard to project a kid who might have a fatal flaw. It's why he fell. But he's more than the some of his parts and extracts everything out of what he has. If I was Pierre McGuire, I'd call him Mark Recchi-like. :laugh:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Nice to see fletch see a guy with round round talent sitting their and moving picks to get this young fella.
Bob and the tsn crew were telling a good story on the brink boys. The dad is a hickey fanatic and Bobby was named after Bobby Orr, and his brothers have name,middle names of rocket Richard lol

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
YLcAaBZ.gif
You son of a bitch

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Using your pile of assets to trade up into the late 1st/early 2nd for a guy who you NEED to have who fell will never not be a great strategy. It worked for Konecny. It worked for Frost. It still worked for Ratcliffe, even if they targeted the wrong player to me.

Those top 5-10 picks in the 2nd can be a gold mine -- and we have gotten the 34, 35, and 36 picks in 3 of the last 4 years (even if you want to argue we have also whiffed). Those picks are often as good as, sometimes better than, the last handful of picks in the 1st round because GMs become less risk averse. There's almost always a stud available.

It's why when people pooh-pooh a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something, they don't understand the trickle down effect of maximizing all assets. A minor move has a ripple effect. A pick like Brink, using a high 3rd rounder to move up (and using a 2nd rounder we didn't originally have because of Braun), looks like a draft altering move, even if they got nice players afterwards and before. It totally set the tone for today and seismically changed our prospect pool.

Last edited:

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Brink is cool and I like him, but he will always be the Arthur Kaliyev Consolation Pick for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad