Prospect Info: Round 2, Pick 34: Bobby Brink, RW, Sioux City (USHL) --> Denver (signed 4/10/22)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Seems like while his skating isn’t a concern, it’s not Strome level concern. Just needs some tweeks
It’s pretty ugly for a hockey player, but he’s 17 and has longer to develop than most. At 16/17 scoring 35 goals in the USHL is very hard.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
It’s pretty ugly for a hockey player, but he’s 17 and has longer to develop than most. At 16/17 scoring 35 goals in the USHL is very hard.
Sorry meant IS A concern not Strome level concern. Maybe I am wrong though.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I choose C) Caufield + Brink, since Caufield was on the board. This is the 3rd post like this I've seen. People realize Caufield was available at 14 right?

Asking for a friend
Exactly. But never would have been caufield and brink. Would have been caufield and best available dman.

It is however... boldy plus a 3rd or York and brink.

Reactions: Curufinwe

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
This pick is unlimited upside, and I don't mean that lightly. Bobby Orr's hockey sense and puck skills are top 10 in the draft at minimum. He's so physically underdeveloped, young for his class, needs serious skating work because his stride is whack, but his edges and short area are actually okay. This is a major work in progress with pure hockey talent and feel for the game that's rare. Not just that, but he competes his balls off. He demolished one of the best junior leagues in the world. Not did well. Demolished.

5 years from now, you might look back at a top 6 player who does everything with the puck on his stick at a high end level at ES/PP. You're projecting a lot of physical development. That's it. You have star potential if Father Time works his magic.
I don't watch as much as you do, but I thought the same thing about his agility and "short area" as you called it. That's a legitimate foundation for improvement of straight line speed, which is good. His edges really bite and he has quick feet when needed. In other words, he isn't slow, like Strome. Hopefully 15-20 lbs and some power skating can bring him up to at least average NHL skating ability on the straight line. Everything else is there.

This isn't just home run potential. This is Mike Trout with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count potential

Reactions: Peter Man

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This pick is unlimited upside, and I don't mean that lightly. Bobby Orr's hockey sense and puck skills are top 10 in the draft at minimum. He's so physically underdeveloped, young for his class, needs serious skating work because his stride is whack, but his edges and short area are actually okay. This is a major work in progress with pure hockey talent and feel for the game that's rare. Not just that, but he competes his balls off. He demolished one of the best junior leagues in the world. Not did well. Demolished.

5 years from now, you might look back at a top 6 player who does everything with the puck on his stick at a high end level at ES/PP. You're projecting a lot of physical development. That's it. You have star potential if Father Time works his magic.
To me, he is honestly a star potential player. His downfalls in his play are something you can teach- skating and his size is something he gets around for his Konecny like “edge”. He’s not in your face and mean, but he’ll at least try to finish a check.

This is my favorite pick so far. I hope he develops well because this is a good pick

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
In a weird way, and don't take it wrong, he reminds me of JOB in his puck skill and mannerisms, except with worse skating and 10 months of extra development time. Like I could easily see how one team likes both of them.

The difference is the younger one with the broken stride has even better hands and just put up historic numbers in the USHL (even adjusting for scoring rate increases), which JOB surely did not. That matters.

FlyerEra2010

May 20, 2010
Lakeville, MN

WHOA GUYS, just discovered a huge twitter scandal. He retweeted the above a couple years ago! SMH this is a locker room disaster, Chuck clearly doesn't even bother to do basic research.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Foggy14

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I believe Brink is actually a junior in high school and accelerated his schooling to go to college next season. He was originally going to play in the USHL again, but I guess when it's that easy you want to move on. Fascinated to watch him against men in Denver to see just how much his talent outs. As usual, be cautious his first season, though Denver is pretty high scoring and integrates top guys well. Could easily see a 3 year college player.

It feels like we are being blessed with watching fun, offensive teams in Denver and Michigan now. :laugh:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
In a weird way, and don't take it wrong, he reminds me of JOB in his puck skill and mannerisms, except with worse skating and 10 months of extra development time. Like I could easily see how one team likes both of them.

The difference is the younger one with the broken stride has even better hands and just put up historic numbers in the USHL (even adjusting for scoring rate increases), which JOB surely did not. That matters.
Thought the same thing. Both projects but nice ceiling on both.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thought the same thing. Both projects but nice ceiling on both.

I never thought JOB was a project though. I thought he looked reasonably safe, subtracting competition level. I never thought he had gigantic upside. Maybe like a 50-60 point winger. Which is still great. I only expected him to take a season to adjust to better talent, which went about as miserably as possible.

But Brink, on draft day, has a lower floor in his skill-set despite actually playing against the best possible competition. But I actually see the ceiling other people did with JOB. Brinks' hands and creativity and feel are next level. They're a weird twosome; should make a Venn Diagram.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I never thought JOB was a project though. I thought he looked reasonably safe, subtracting competition level. I never thought he had gigantic upside. Maybe like a 50-60 point winger. Which is still great. I only expected him to take a season to adjust to better talent, which went about as miserably as possible.

But Brink, on draft day, has a lower floor in his skill-set despite actually playing against the best possible competition. But I actually see the ceiling other people did with JOB. Brinks' hands and creativity and feel are next level. They're a weird twosome; should make a Venn Diagram.
Where do they intersect! Hopefully second line in 5 years.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
He’s going to need all the money he can get to score with the ladies.

He’s probably the ugliest dude in the organization.
Well not ugliest...
mygod.jpg

Reactions: Asnito

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

So then what do you think Brinks scoring potential is?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes