Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It feels good to be the bad guys for once.
This Caps team was so soft in the past. Semin is the prime example of that. He was softer than a mother's kiss.

Razor-Ramon-Black-Dressing.jpg

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I never considered Semin soft. He wasn't "heavy", but not soft either.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't like the matchup stylistically. So much of the Caps cycle game depends on holding the blue line, and the Rangers focus on exploiting pinching defensemen. IMO either the Rangers will break out quite easily or Holtby will be facing quite a few odd-man rushes - or maybe both.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't like the matchup stylistically. So much of the Caps cycle game depends on holding the blue line, and the Rangers focus on exploiting pinching defensemen. IMO either the Rangers will break out quite easily or Holtby will be facing quite a few odd-man rushes - or maybe both.

Holtby is going to have to be big this series. With their speed, the Rags generate odd man rushes regularly in transition. Picking off breaking forwards off a pinch will be easy for the likes of McDonagh, Yandle and Girardi. And with Hagelin/Kreider/Stepan/Hayes/Brassard on the other end it's off to the races.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Maybe it's just me, but I never considered Semin soft. He wasn't "heavy", but not soft either.

The only time you see him hit someone, it's a huge collision. I remember him boarding a team Canada player in Vancouver out of frustration. He boarded a Hurricanes player and had his golden necklace ripped off in the ensuing scrum. He laid a textbook hip check on Burmistrov.

Sasha is a big guy (6'2 210 lbs), he just never uses his size advantage over the smaller players.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Pretty sure that hit you just posted was accidental.

Impressive nonetheless, he nearly flipped Burmistrov head over heels. Physicality is a dimension of the game Semin never really exploited. Maybe it's because they are not taught to play like that in Russia, but his buddy Ovi is a hitting machine.

It's good to see Mojo is willing to try to play the physical game Trotz wants him to play. Even Burakovsky had a Forsberg-esque counter hit in Game 7.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Impressive nonetheless, he nearly flipped Burmistrov head over heels. Physicality is a dimension of the game Semin never really exploited. Maybe it's because they are not taught to play like that in Russia, but his buddy Ovi is a hitting machine.

It's good to see Mojo is willing to try to play the physical game Trotz wants him to play. Even Burakovsky had a Forsberg-esque counter hit in Game 7.

That was a 20 year old Burmistrov that I doubt was 170 soaking wet.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
The Isles series should elevate the Caps and I hope they build on that series. Play each game like it is the last. We thought the NBCS media was pro Isles, just wait until this series starts. I'm sticking to the radio coverage even with the delay. Lol, the luck seemed to work for Game 7. Caps need to continue the physical play even when bogus penalties are given. The last few NYR series they pounded Green. This year I hope they dish it out to their skilled guys. After watching some of the Pens/Rangers series, I believe the Caps can beat this team. I hope they keep GlenX in the lineup and curious to see how Green plays.

Go Caps!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I'll be curious to see how the Rangers quick break offense fares against us. In the playoffs, in my experience, time and space gets taken away and those teams lose some of their regular season advantage. There are just not that many odd man breaks in the playoffs.

RE: Girardi quote - Dan...face it...YOU can play "that way" but the majority of the rest of the guys on your team can't.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I like this bad guy underdog role going up again the Presidents Trophy team.

We've gotten our revenge on Halak
Next comes our revenge on a Presidents Trophy Team.
Next, I want our revenge on the Canadiens and their hotshot goalie.
After that, it's time to get revenge on Boudreau (even though I had them losing in the first round to Winnipeg and we don't really need revenge on the best coach in Caps history).

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cautiously optimistic. I feel winning that game 7, on home ice, against Halak, was a big mental breakthrough for the guys (it was for me, at least). The guys should be playing loose and with confidence. We shall see.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
After that, it's time to get revenge on Boudreau (even though I had them losing in the first round to Winnipeg and we don't really need revenge on the best coach in Caps history).

I was literally going to post this exact same thing.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

If the Caps get past NYR, this is no longer true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad