Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 24: Travis Konecny, RW, Ottawa (OHL); signed ELC 7/16/15 (post #338)

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He sounds like he has the upside of a goal-scoring version of prime Mike Richards with maybe less defensive ability and more skating ability. More or less. That sounds awesome.

It was a timely trade to make as he was clearly the best or one of the best picks left and probably wouldn't have made it to us. He's also a forward. He's also a skilled player with upside as opposed to a safe pick or a reach or a goon. So it's the type of pick I like to see.

saophim

Mar 19, 2015
Prague
BlackBook:
The former first overall pick in the 2013 OHL Draft stumbled out of the gates a bit this year but was much better in the second half. Konecny is a tireless worker with one of the highest compete levels in the draft.
He possesses high end speed / acceleration and is an explosive offensive player. He has high end puck skills and quick release. His vision and hockey sense are very good and is equally dangerous distributing the puck to a teammate or finishing himself. Despite his smaller stature, he plays with a physical edge to his game and isn't afraid of anyone. With that said, his reckless play at his size may have affected his health a bit as he suffered multiple injuries this season. As much as we like the tempo at which he plays with, slowing down his pace at times could be beneficial for him instead of going at full speed all the time. That could help for one avoid injuries and be in more control and more effective as a playmaker. In October he was named captain of the Ottawa 67s, organisation showed good faith in his leadership qualities. He has represented his country at various international events, last time was when he captained team Canada last August at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tournament. More was expected out of Konecny this season after a superb rookie season in 2013-2014 where he was the OHL rookie of the year but injuries didn’t help him and playing one bad team with not much talent surrounding him didn’t either. Konecny has top six forward upside at the NHL level, but he will need to overcome his size and will absolutely need to get stronger and hopefully avoid further injuries in order to reach his potential.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I love everybody

I love everybody too. Another great draft so far for us and the Bruins are having the worst day of moves I've ever seen in hockey.

Let's all just hug right now and eat some hemp.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
HC loves him.

I liked Merkley a hair more this year, but Konecny is a better goal scorer and unlike Merkley, he was the lead dog as a 17 year old (and captain). You saw what he did at the Prospects game when he was surrounded by talent and last year at the u18s.

Bryzard of Oz

Mar 28, 2012
Nice. Figured Boston would have grabbed him in their trifecta but he slid. Not much debate that he was BPA at 24 and we gave up 61, zero complaints.

In Sexy Hexy we trust

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Watch a highlight video of his. This kid can really stickhandle, pass, and score

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Ok I missed something here... How did we get pick 24? I thought we would have got 29 from Tampa? I am confused.

Pumped about the pick though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad