Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I did see that he ruled out the AHL pretty much immediately. Its KHL or CHL. Which most people expected, I'm sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AHL would be an option for him if the Flyers thought he'll be in the NHL by age 20.

Playing in the CHL does let him join the Phantoms when their season ends. That's a problem for players in Russia.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
AHL would be an option for him if the Flyers thought he'll be in the NHL by age 20.

I guess, but you'd be asking an 18 year old to jump in right now. Seemed like a tall order by Hextall's comments.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I have to say as I've stated earlier I'm not as well informed on prospects as many here. From reading what many of you have written in the past months this guy was on my radar and I like everything I've read post pick.

Button had him at 14, the game isn't similar but the pick reminds me of Konecny in a sense that here's a kid who's skill set says pick me earlier but finds himself falling.

As I wrote last night I love gaining the 36th pick. Hextall continues to work magic!

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I also don't buy that Hextall doesn't know what Rubtsov has to do to play in the CHL. He probably just doesn't want commit to anything.

Hexy won't negotiate in the press or tip his hand. Rubstov is only 17 so if he plays 2 years in Russia, it's no problem for his development. Be nice if he could get two cracks at the WJC.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Hextall with the dig

--------------------------------

GettyImages-460241096.0.0.jpg

•Born: October 30th, 1998
•Nationality: Russian
•Height: 6'1"
•Weight: 174 lbs
•Team: Russia U18
•Position: Center

Stats: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/fl...ubtsov-scouting-report-profile-2016-nhl-draft

================================

German Rubtsov

Position: Center

Junior team: Russian under-18

Born: Chekhov, Russia

Measurables: 6-foot-1, 178 pounds

2015-16 stats: 28 games, 12 goals, 14 assists, 26 points

Central Scouting rank: No. 5 (Europe)

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/06/01/road-nhl-draft/

Source: Buffalo News
Another home run by Ron. So happy Ron is our GM. Well done!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I almost didn't have any doubts that Hextall is going after Rubtsov after he had traded down. Also it is a very classy move to show that there is no pressure for Rubtsov to get out of the KHL contract.

Imo, it is better to stay in Russia at least for one more year: Vityaz is not a strong team and there should be an opportunity for Rubtsov to get something like 14 minutes of TOI, which is pretty good for a 18 year old. Even if something doesn't work out there, he won't be benched all the time, but rather sent down to VHL (Vityaz organization is rather actively using that option), which is also a men's league, so he won't lose a year of development anyway.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess, but you'd be asking an 18 year old to jump in right now. Seemed like a tall order by Hextall's comments.

Although Rubtsov doesn't have that kind of upside, wasn't a problem for Nylander and some others (Julius Honka is another). Teams starting to trend that way, top prospects coming over early to make sure the player is here.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I did see that he ruled out the AHL pretty much immediately. Its KHL or CHL. Which most people expected, I'm sure.

He needs to be drafted by a CHL team so they would want to know that he could come over before using an Import Draft pick on a playr who can't come over.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I almost didn't have any doubts that Hextall is going after Rubtsov after he had traded down. Also it is a very classy move to show that there is no pressure for Rubtsov to get out of the KHL contract.

Imo, it is better to stay in Russia at least for one more year: Vityaz is not a strong team and there should be an opportunity for Rubtsov to get something like 14 minutes of TOI, which is pretty good for a 18 year old. Even if something doesn't work out there, he won't be benched all the time, but rather sent down to VHL (Vityaz organization is rather actively using that option), which is also a men's league, so he won't lose a year of development anyway.

Meltzer wrote this morning that the KHL tends to not be a development league and kids can get buried and not play. So if you are saying that his team may play him more than the typical 18 year old, maybe he sticks around.

But I think we all keep forgetting that Rubtsov himself said he wants to leave.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He needs to be drafted by a CHL team so they would want to know that he could come over before using an Import Draft pick on a playr who can't come over.

Is that the same rule for all of the leagues? Each league has a draft right? WHL/Q/OHL?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Meltzer wrote this morning that the KHL tends to not be a development league and kids can get buried and not play. So if you are saying that his team may play him more than the typical 18 year old, maybe he sticks around.

But I think we all keep forgetting that Rubtsov himself said he wants to leave.

Obviously KHL isn't a development league, that's why I'm also mentioning VHL as an option. But again, Vityaz is not a tycoon team, Rubtsov should have enough talent to be able to contribute there immediately, therefore it is in their interest to give him the icetime.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Can I ask a question. Why does he need to get out of the contract? Will the CHL just not let him play without the KHL's consent? Is it like the nice thing to do?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Can I ask a question. Why does he need to get out of the contract? Will the CHL just not let him play without the KHL's consent? Is it like the nice thing to do?

But then there will be a moment when Rubtsov will want to sign an ELC with Flyers and Vityaz manager will say 'Sorry kid, you still got 2 years of contract to fulfill, so get back here.'

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
But then there will be a moment when Rubtsov will want to sign an ELC with Flyers and Vityaz manager will say 'Sorry kid, you still got 2 years of contract to fulfill, so get back here.'

So its not really the CHL issue, it'll be an NHL issue. So he either players or Flyers buy him out (if possible)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Philly semi supporter and Buffalo Sabres fan coming in peace. I have to compliment the Philly brass for their patience and how excellent Hextall has been since taking over. A shrewd move to go down 4 picks to pick up #36 and get Rubtsov, who on my personal board was #12. A monumental two way talent who can push the play. So kudos! Philly will be a force in the next season or two. If they can find their way out of MacDonald, then it's a grand slam.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
One of the other highlight videos posted on the first page has a few from this video, but this 6 minute highlight reel is from only 3 games from the 2015 World Jr. A Challenge.

His forechecking is freaking beautiful. From 1:03-1:20, he's just relentless. He's all over the ice on the PP, PK, and even strength. What a beauty.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

I'm sorry if sometimes we (Flyers fans specifically) sound ignorant in regards to how contracts work between KHL and NHL. We have never had a highly touted Russian prospect in Russia. Hell we have never had a highly touted Russian player period before Provorov, aside from possibly Yushkevich, but he was only here a short time, or Tertyshny, RIP. Those were a very long time ago though. There are new rules to learn about what he can and can't do in regards to negotiating contracts in both leagues and how that affects his status in NA developmental leagues as well as the NHL.

Unless he really really wants to come here I think he should stay in Russia. He can focus on hockey, and not have to worry about living in a new place, learning a new language, and having a proper social life. At some point he can make that transition, but he doesn't need to do it now. But if he wants to come then that's OK too.

It's encouraging to hear that it sounds like he is on a good team in regards to developing him as a player. That will be willing to put him in a lineup where he will get a lot of ice time at whichever, KHL or VHL, makes sense.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I'm sorry if sometimes we (Flyers fans specifically) sound ignorant in regards to how contracts work between KHL and NHL. We have never had a highly touted Russian prospect in Russia. Hell we have never had a highly touted Russian player period before Provorov, aside from possibly Yushkevich, but he was only here a short time, or Tertyshny, RIP. Those were a very long time ago though. There are new rules to learn about what he can and can't do in regards to negotiating contracts in both leagues and how that affects his status in NA developmental leagues as well as the NHL.

Unless he really really wants to come here I think he should stay in Russia. He can focus on hockey, and not have to worry about living in a new place, learning a new language, and having a proper social life. At some point he can make that transition, but he doesn't need to do it now. But if he wants to come then that's OK too.

It's totally not ignorant when you're interested in the subject and asking good questions about it. :)

But the whole thing with KHL/NHL contracts is that:

1. there is no transfer agreement, therefore Flyers can't buy out the contract.
2. there is an agreement between KHL and NHL to respect each other's contracts, therefore Rubtsov can't sign in NHL with a KHL contract ongoing.
3. KHL contracts can be bought out by the player, but I think that applies only for the last year of the contract
4. Sometimes KHL contracts aren't exactly set in stone, therefore you can negotiate it's mutual termination with the team's management (and I guess that's what Rubtsov is trying to do).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Philly semi supporter and Buffalo Sabres fan coming in peace. I have to compliment the Philly brass for their patience and how excellent Hextall has been since taking over. A shrewd move to go down 4 picks to pick up #36 and get Rubtsov, who on my personal board was #12. A monumental two way talent who can push the play. So kudos! Philly will be a force in the next season or two. If they can find their way out of MacDonald, then it's a grand slam.

Thanks. Hey do not take this wrong but your GM really needs to tighten up his look. I have seen better facial hair on street bums. Buy that man a blend head:)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Thanks. Hey do not take this wrong but your GM really needs to tighten up his look. I have seen better facial hair on street bums. Buy that man a blend head:)

He calls it like he sees it, and honestly he said at the end of the season he was growing a beard. He's direct to the point. He's made Buffalo believable again. We're trying to get to the Flyers level on making the playoffs. So I'm fine if you don't like his facial hair. Rubtsov has the game that can fit in the top six easily.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
It's totally not ignorant when you're interested in the subject and asking good questions about it. :)

But the whole thing with KHL/NHL contracts is that:

1. there is no transfer agreement, therefore Flyers can't buy out the contract.
2. there is an agreement between KHL and NHL to respect each other's contracts, therefore Rubtsov can't sign in NHL with a KHL contract ongoing.
3. KHL contracts can be bought out by the player, but I think that applies only for the last year of the contract
4. Sometimes KHL contracts aren't exactly set in stone, therefore you can negotiate it's mutual termination with the team's management (and I guess that's what Rubtsov is trying to do).

Thank you for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad