Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't think it's unreasonable to compare Rubtsov to Jost either. The bulk of the difference between them is nationality. I'm glad we took a pick here with some real upside rather than settling for a player like Jones or Gauthier who really are capped in how much of an impact they'll have at the NHL.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I have no problem if he plays in Russia for the next two years. However, if he's playing 6 minutes a night, then by all means, send someone to Russia to kidnap him like Malkin was.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think it's unreasonable to compare Rubtsov to Jost either. The bulk of the difference between them is nationality. I'm glad we took a pick here with some real upside rather than settling for a player like Jones or Gauthier who really are capped in how much of an impact they'll have at the NHL.

When some people were talking about trading up for Jost, I felt unsure about it because I am not sure how big of a divide there is between them. I don't think either is the most skilled, neither is the best (both solid) skater, but both just process the game at another level in all 3-zones with a never say die attitude to their game.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Man my day started off bad, after watching the brexit on bbc last nite. When your second job is a day trader, well at least I was prepped for anarchy.
Then I get to work and met this girl and I was like, this is a best looking girl I will see all day, no one of that level is completely in impossible.
Then I'm burnt out from work. Was extatic to get home and watch the draft. So I see Toronto first pick, listen to Bettman announce a few trades, then with my luck get hit with a 4.5 hr power outage. First time in over 20 years I missed the flyers pick live. So I get on now and see we trade down and get German rubstov and another early second and my bad luck streak is over. Man I an extatic, I just love our pick.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'm late to the posting, but I was watching a live update while I was supposed to be working today. I'm very excited with our pick. I would have been perfectly happy with him at 18, but picking up a second and getting him is even better. Great pick.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Great trade and great pick. 3 2nds! Hextall is the anti-Homer who used to discard 2nd rounders as soon as humanly possible. Imagine if Laberge falls to 37!

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Maybe hexy is nabbing us gems, filling the cupboards and getting more picks for future drafts like trader bill of the newengland patriots. He's won a few championships. Man I gotta get up early tomorrow and see pick 36, pretty pumped for that and our other picks.
With my luck, my hungover neighbor will pop over steal my breakfast and punch me in the face. I'm still gonna watch it.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Hextall expects him to play in the KHL the next two years and doesn't see any possibility of him playing in the AHL next year. He said he would be quite surprised if he was playing anywhere but KHL. Said they dug deeper into his character than they ever have before and that there are zero concerns about character or anything else.

They were never close to making a trade to move up significantly. When they traded down, there were two players that they were comfortable with there.

And supposedly he wasn't mad or yelling at anyone when they were trading down.

On a slightly negative note, Mark Gandler is his agent.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Carchidi was embarrassing himself.
Hextall expects him to play in the KHL the next two years and doesn't see any possibility of him playing in the AHL next year. He said he would be quite surprised if he was playing anywhere but KHL. Said they dug deeper into his character than they ever have before and that there are zero concerns about character or anything else.

They were never close to making a trade to move up significantly. When they traded down, there were two players that they were comfortable with there.

And supposedly he wasn't mad or yelling at anyone when they were trading down.

On a slightly negative note, Mark Gandler is his agent.
Not saying he won't play in the KHL, but Hextall could be playing coy in an attempt to get him to a CHL team he trusts. I find it hard to believe he doesn't know how the import draft works. We'll have a better idea Tuesday I guess.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Damien Cox said on the Sportsnet broadcast that most NHL people he talked to didn't really hold the doping scandal against Rubstov, mentioned that the drug isn't banned in the NHL right now. He said the KHL contract was the concern NHL teams had with Rubstov.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009

I like the way the translator just told our idiot reporters "he already answered that" and didn't make Rubtsov repeat himself.

EDIT: Some quotes:

"He’s a full-sheet player, a playmaker first and foremost,†Hextall said. “He’s responsible, brings speed and plays the game the right way.â€

“We had a really good backup plan that we were comfortable with,†Hextall said. “We said best case scenario, we get this guy, and at 37 we’re looking at a group. Then, if we don’t get this guy, these [other] guys are close, so we’re OK with it. Otherwise you don’t [make the trade].â€

“That’s not a concern for us,†Hextall said. “We did our research on this kid, trust me. Up, down and all around. I think the hockey world understands [that it wasn’t his fault.] We did more research on this kid than I’ve ever done. He’s got really good character.â€

“Him not being at the Under-18 in Grand Forks there, that was a big platform for him,†Hextall said. “I think there’s multiple reasons [he was available at #22,] but we’re very comfortable with him. This kid’s a real good hockey player. He brings speed, good size… he’s really, really smart.â€

“If he has to stay there, so be it,†Hextall said. “If he can come over before then, terrific.â€

“We got the player we wanted and we added a pretty good pick in the second round,†Hextall said. “It honestly kind of fel in our lap a little bit.â€

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887228&navid=DL|PHI|home

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Carchidi was embarrassing himself.

Not saying he won't play in the KHL, but Hextall could be playing coy in an attempt to get him to a CHL team he trusts. I find it hard to believe he doesn't know how the import draft works. We'll have a better idea Tuesday I guess.
Definitely possible. Hell, I would straight up put it out there that if Rubtsov gets out of his KHL contract, he won't be reporting to certain CHL teams. His rights belong to an NHL team now and I wouldn't trust more than half of the CHL teams to bring in and develop a recent 1st rounder coming straight over from Russia.

I'm sure Hextall won't have to worry about that anyways with Gandler as his agent. :laugh:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Absolutely love this pick, my god! I love Hextall so much. This could be similiar to Kuznetsov situation all over again, this kid has so much skill and talent. I was absolutely okay whether we draft Bellows, Kunin, McLeod or Rubtsov, just wasn't fan of Gauthier/Jones or Howden. And now we have 36th pick too! Great stuff, 12 picks this year.

I hope Provy will sit with Rubtsov and teach him english! :laugh: Very happy with our Russian colony, and glad Hexy is not afraid to select russian F that high, there is always serious talent when it comes to these Russian forwards.

Looks like they did really, really good research about him.

saophim

Mar 19, 2015
Prague
As per HP Black Book:

Rubtsov improved in different areas this year, he has looked more dynamic in his skating and more comfortable
on the powerplay, showing he can efficiently dictate the play with the man advantage as well. At
this point, there aren’t many flaws left in his game. He is the kind of player who seems to be always around
the puck. His sense for the game paired with the work ethic he shows on the ice allows him to be consistently
involved in the play, no matter if his team has possession or not. The way he pursues the puck time
after time is impressive and his relentless backchecking through the neutral zone is often successful, when
he targets and chases the puck carrier he is usually able to catch-up and engage sooner or later. He is a
workhorse with an active stick that he uses to disrupt opponents’ plays on a consistent basis in just about
every area of the ice.

Quotable: “It’s rare to see a 17 year old skilled center play such a mature, all around
game. Rubtsov just drives puck possession for his team.ҠРHP Scout Mik Portoni

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Absolutely love this pick, my god! I love Hextall so much. This could be similiar to Kuznetsov situation all over again, this kid has so much skill and talent. I was absolutely okay whether we draft Bellows, Kunin, McLeod or Rubtsov, just wasn't fan of Gauthier/Jones or Howden. And now we have 36th pick too! Great stuff, 12 picks this year.

I hope Provy will sit with Rubtsov and teach him english! :laugh: Very happy with our Russian colony, and glad Hexy is not afraid to select russian F that high, there is always serious talent when it comes to these Russian forwards.

Looks like they did really, really good research about him.

Still 11 picks, 79 was traded along with 18 to get 22 and 36.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Didn't know much about this kid til we drafted him (god I work too much,lol, 65-70 hours a week is seriously cutting into my time wasted checking out dream drafts). From what I've read on here from fans who have seen him play and what has been quoted from Hextall, I'm very happy with the pick. It's unlikely we get an elite player at 18 (or 22 like we traded down to) but if we can get a solid, long term NHL player who solidifies our middle 6 then it's a win for the pick.

Again, since I just don't have the time to read up nor watch a lot of these kids I have to just flat out trust our scouts. Now the question is, with 3 picks in the 2nd round, do we package a couple of them together to move up high if there is a player that we really like and feel has dropped unnecessarily like Konecny did last year or do we just hold tight to the picks and go with the "more bullets, more chances to hit" mentally? I'll just sit back and trust in Ron.

Also, having Provo here for when Rubstov joins the team is really going to help him. Provo has been in NA for a few years and his English should be pretty decent. He should be able to help Rubstov a lot I'm both learning English and communicating with the team in general. I couldn't have written a better start to Hextalls careers our GM myself. I only wish he could have been here 2 years earlier and maybe he would have traded down a few spots to where Morin SHOULD have gone and gotten a high 2nd in the process and still come away with Morin. For the record, I was okay with us drafting Morin, just not where we did. IMO he would have been available 8-10 picks later and we could have traded down 4-5 spots and still taken him AND gotten another pick in the process.

Also, Morin is looking more like a #4 dman like I said after we drafted him than a top pairing guy like just about everyone else was saying he'd be.

Still kills me that we went on that late season winning streak where we won something like 10 of our last 11 games just to miss the playoffs and drop our pick from 4th to 12th (???). We were in a position to draft Seth Jones instead of Morin. It seems to have worked out now seeing how we have Ghost, Provo, Sanheim and Morin looking like a very solid future top 4 but man, losing out on Seth Jones and settling for Morin when we had NOTHING defensively made me very upset at that time

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Morin is going to be a beast ^
Also, I believe Montreal was going to select him after the flyers (wherever their spot was, don't remember)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
God that video is hard t watch. Hextall just looks like he doesn't want to be near those mouth breathers.

I also don't buy that Hextall doesn't know what Rubtsov has to do to play in the CHL. He probably just doesn't want commit to anything.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not saying it's the be-all, end-all, but for people who were desperate to get Gauthier, the Flyers didn't even talk to him at the combine. Meanwhile, it says in Rubtsov's interview, that the Flyers contacted him more than anyone else. Seems to me that Gauthier wasn't really considered an option for them.

God that video is hard t watch. Hextall just looks like he doesn't want to be near those mouth breathers.

I also don't buy that Hextall doesn't know what Rubtsov has to do to play in the CHL. He probably just doesn't want commit to anything.

Frankly, he should know. I'm sure he does. Hopefully we can get him over here, even if it means signing him and paying the buyout for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->