Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
We would have never drafted a Finn in round 7, let alone a re-entry Finn in round 1, who is a dangler. It's like 3 strikes.

Gauthier I always had a strong dislike for. I wrote a lot of negative posts on him lol. And Jones. I was tearing my hair out reading us take them in mocks. I liked Bellows more than them in his draft year.

I remember those almost word for word, and you were spot on, as usual.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I said dominate instead of dominant on the first page. :(

giphy.gif

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I put together a rough draft of my summer Flyers prospect rankings. Once the upcoming draft is complete, I doubt Rubtsov will make my top 20. I had him #13 last year. That's without even including goalies. :(

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I put together a rough draft of my summer Flyers prospect rankings. Once the upcoming draft is complete, I doubt Rubtsov will make my top 20. I had him #13 last year. That's without even including goalies. :(

Rubtsov and Kase are tough ones, both have shown flashes, neither has been able to stay healthy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Tbf, it's always easier for a winger to step into the league. That's why Frost has struggled as well.
I would still like to see Rubtsov and Kase stay healthy enough to get more NHL time before we have to jettison them. NAK didn't overwhelm on his first call ups, but then it just clicked. Ruby and Kase are also smart players who can skate, play D and have puck skills.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I would still like to see Rubtsov and Kase stay healthy enough to get more NHL time before we have to jettison them. NAK didn't overwhelm on his first call ups, but then it just clicked. Ruby and Kase are also smart players who can skate, play D and have puck skills.
That's the thing; forwards who are smart and defend like that don't really need much AHL development time. However you do need them to be healthy for a stretch to feel confident in them and that hasn't really happened. Hope it changes because I like both players and think they can contribute. In particular Rubtsov should be a good fit on the 4th line or anywhere in the bottom 6 with his strong defensive play and ability to play center.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That's the thing; forwards who are smart and defend like that don't really need much AHL development time. However you do need them to be healthy for a stretch to feel confident in them and that hasn't really happened. Hope it changes because I like both players and think they can contribute. In particular Rubtsov should be a good fit on the 4th line or anywhere in the bottom 6 with his strong defensive play and ability to play center.
Agreed. At some point the numbers game is going to mean Fletcher has to deal a couple of the many forward prospects or let them walk back to Europe. It means we're going to have a kick butt team going forward with 4 solid lines all the time, and reinforcements from the farm at all positions.

Reactions: orangey

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Rubtsov has been a major disappointment.

I don't think that's fair. I think he's been good for what opportunities he's been given, but hasn't excelled. He's had (I believe) 2 major injuries in his Pro career and considering the center depth with the Flyers, him breaking in is tough.

Do you think Morin is a disappointment as well? He has had a few serious injuries already and considering our blueline, it's hard to get in, even though I'd much rather him play over Hagg.

Reactions: dingbathero

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia
I don't think that's fair. I think he's been good for what opportunities he's been given, but hasn't excelled. He's had (I believe) 2 major injuries in his Pro career and considering the center depth with the Flyers, him breaking in is tough.

Do you think Morin is a disappointment as well? He has had a few serious injuries already and considering our blueline, it's hard to get in, even though I'd much rather him play over Hagg.
Right. Just like Laughton.. it took him a few years before breaking into the main roster full-time.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Right. Just like Laughton.. it took him a few years before breaking into the main roster full-time.
I think they tried really hard to fit Laughton in at center even sending him down to the ahl to work on different things only to recognize he's best at wing. I feel Ruby is the opposite. A natural center and defensive forward who may only find his offense after playing at an nhl pace and with talented players.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Rubtsov did not make the 31-man bubble roster, and was not picked by the current regime

If he has a future in the NHL at all, it's not with the Flyers -- his best hopes are probably in the KHL or a European league

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Biggest year for Rubstov. If he can stay healthy and put together a campaign on what should be a young skilled team, he has a shot at becoming the flyers 4c late in the year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Rubtsov did not make the 31-man bubble roster, and was not picked by the current regime

If he has a future in the NHL at all, it's not with the Flyers -- his best hopes are probably in the KHL or a European league

Most likely. He's not very good. Waste of a 1st rounder. Hopefully they can at least use him in a trade.

2016 Draft was a weird one. Totally dropped the ball on our top 2 picks but still walked away with Hart, Bunnaman, Hogberg, and Laczynski.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Most likely. He's not very good. Waste of a 1st rounder. Hopefully they can at least use him in a trade.

2016 Draft was a weird one. Totally dropped the ball on our top 2 picks but still walked away with Hart, Bunnaman, Hogberg, and Laczynski.
Crazy how we have 3 1st rounders the last 7 years that could be busts in Morin, Rubstov and JOB yet we are not counting on them at all and doesn't really matter at this point. Except the waste of a top asset of course.

All 3 of them need a good year next year to have a NHL future...with the Flyers or elsewhere.

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Don’t really think Rubtsov has much trade value at this point. He hasn’t really done much in years now. The nice production in 14 games or whatever the previous year kind losses it’s meaning after this year & before it.

You’re likely doing him a favor if you’re trading him. So not really expecting much in return.

They probably just hold on to him & see what happens next year for better or worse. Unless he heads back to Russia of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad