Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Talking to a buddy of mine in Edmundston,NB who plays with the Blizzard...
He said Rubstov is in Philadelphia getting treated by their doctors!
Could be serious!

Yeah, I reported in the AHL thread a few days ago that he was in Philly getting checked out. I believe he is back in New Brunswick now, but have no update on the severity of his injury.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
he's playing on CHL game of the week on Sportsnet - Canada. Just scored the go-ahead in the 3rd period to stretch his points streak to 5 games (2g 5a). Not showing anything over-powering today.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
fIR9f7y.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You do realize both of these guys required a couple years in the AHL?
Before you start complaining a year from now why Rubtsov was sent back to the AHL in 2019-20.
Both hit the NHL at age 22.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Before you start complaining a year from now why Rubtsov was sent back to the AHL in 2019-20.

It's all about the expectations that the player builds through his post-draft performances in lower leagues.

If he's having serious difficulties, then give him all the time he needs.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Huh? :huh:

I posted that showing that development can take time and isn't linear or always logical in terms of adapting to the pro game. I was pointing out a similar, successful player who did a LOT worse post-draft, yet turned into an excellent young player we'd all covet. Rubtsov has had a down scoring year and a bumpy path so far, be it due to injury, culture shock, etc. Though we were pleased with last year, despite the KHL issues. There is nothing in his profile or skill-set that would point to a bust. Shit just happens from year to year for teenage kids.

I posted that to show PATIENCE, that YEARS from now he could still be a good player, not to say he should be fast tracked. I don't remotely want that.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014

I posted that showing that development can take time and isn't linear or always logical in terms of adapting to the pro game. I was pointing out a similar, successful player who did a LOT worse post-draft, yet turned into an excellent young player we'd all covet. Rubtsov has had a down scoring year and a bumpy path so far, be it due to injury, culture shock, etc. Though we were pleased with last year, despite the KHL issues. There is nothing in his profile or skill-set that would point to a bust. **** just happens from year to year for teenage kids.

I posted that to show PATIENCE, that YEARS from now he could still be a good player, not to say he should be fast tracked. I don't remotely want that.
You expect him to actually understand what you meant rather than make up opinions to argue against, that was your first problem.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You expect him to actually understand what you meant rather than make up opinions to argue against, that was your first problem.

I was made aware he had the power to invade Captain’s mind, so I thought maybe he could invade mine too so he could understand. I will let him if that is what it takes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, haven't we had hundreds of threads complaining that Hextall hasn't rushed 21 year old players to the NHL?
That he's "ultra-conservative" with his prospects?

So I just thought I'd point out that one might avoid both extremes, writing players off early (patience) and not feeling that any player with an AHL hot streak is immediately NHL ready (see Martel's falloff after he was sent down and his S% regressed to the mean).

NAK (21), Vorobyev (21), Myers (21). Sanheim got a shot at 21, is getting another shot as he turns 22, Morin would have gotten his shot at 22, Hagg got his shot at 22. The young guys who came up early, Vorobyev #7, Patrick #2, Konecny #24 (Laughton at 21, then returned at 23). Ghost was a 22 year old rookie.

For all but top 20, and mostly top 10 picks, 22 is a pretty normal age to start your NHL career, and 24-25 is when most players hit their stride.

So yeah, let's see what Rubtsov and Laberge can do in the AHL at 20 years old. Along with Bunnaman (20), Laczynski (21), Marody (21), Twarnyuski (21 in Nov), Allison (21 in Oct), Amorosa (24 in Nov), Friedman (23 in Dec), Hart (20). Amorosa (if signed) and Friedman are the only ones who'll feel "up or out" urgency as the others are young enough to be patient.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I posted that showing that development can take time and isn't linear or always logical in terms of adapting to the pro game. I was pointing out a similar, successful player who did a LOT worse post-draft, yet turned into an excellent young player we'd all covet. Rubtsov has had a down scoring year and a bumpy path so far, be it due to injury, culture shock, etc. Though we were pleased with last year, despite the KHL issues. There is nothing in his profile or skill-set that would point to a bust. **** just happens from year to year for teenage kids.

So youre saying he has to make the team next year or he’s a bust?

No way. He still has time.

TRUST THE PROCESS

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Well, haven't we had hundreds of threads complaining that Hextall hasn't rushed 21 year old players to the NHL?
That he's "ultra-conservative" with his prospects?

So I just thought I'd point out that one might avoid both extremes, writing players off early (patience) and not feeling that any player with an AHL hot streak is immediately NHL ready (see Martel's falloff after he was sent down and his S% regressed to the mean).

NAK (21), Vorobyev (21), Myers (21). Sanheim got a shot at 21, is getting another shot as he turns 22, Morin would have gotten his shot at 22, Hagg got his shot at 22. The young guys who came up early, Vorobyev #7, Patrick #2, Konecny #24 (Laughton at 21, then returned at 23). Ghost was a 22 year old rookie.

For all but top 20, and mostly top 10 picks, 22 is a pretty normal age to start your NHL career, and 24-25 is when most players hit their stride.

So yeah, let's see what Rubtsov and Laberge can do in the AHL at 20 years old. Along with Bunnaman (20), Laczynski (21), Marody (21), Twarnyuski (21 in Nov), Allison (21 in Oct), Amorosa (24 in Nov), Friedman (23 in Dec), Hart (20). Amorosa (if signed) and Friedman are the only ones who'll feel "up or out" urgency as the others are young enough to be patient.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Wasn’t a fan of the pick at the time, and even less of a fan of the pick now. I see him having a hard time cracking an NHL lineup, but would love to be wrong.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I don’t see how he’s not at least a 4th liner.
I think for sure he's a solid 3rd/4th line player at a minimum if he has the drive to be. Kid has all the tools in the tool box . Sound positioning, awareness. Decent shot and good play making ability. From watching him play he's very conservative (Russian style defensive first mentality). I think his conditioning and desire to be an NHLer are the question marks with him. Provorov needs to take him under his wing and unleash the vast array of talent . This kid could be an elite NHL talent or end up in the abyss of the KHL for his career. The next two seasons (give him one year to acclimatize to pro hockey) will tell the tale. From a Flyer fan perspective (now that Patrick looks to be on a solid path) Labarge, Morin and Rubitsov are the 3 question marks in how good they will become. All three have great upside but will it turn out or will other factors limit their career with the Flyers. I personally think all three can be gems if the Flyers can nurture their abilities the right way. Funny thing is when we talk about our future these 3 are not looked upon as the diamonds in the org but they very well could be.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Wasn’t a fan of the pick at the time, and even less of a fan of the pick now. I see him having a hard time cracking an NHL lineup, but would love to be wrong.

I felt that the overall strength of that draft did not particularly line up with our needs, and where we drafted was no mans land. I did like the trade back to get an extra 2, but yeah you have to be disappointed in what Ruby has done so far. Even Laughton was tearing it up his last year in the ohl.

Reactions: OrangeAndBlackMetal

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I felt that the overall strength of that draft did not particularly line up with our needs, and where we drafted was no mans land. I did like the trade back to get an extra 2, but yeah you have to be disappointed in what Ruby has done so far. Even Laughton was tearing it up his last year in the ohl.

I'm still not disappointed, he has all the tools, PPG in the Q, PPG in the MHL through all the injuries and playing for 5 different teams, adjustment to NA ice. These are extremely small sample sizes, still feels like he's barely played any games in the Q. He's 19. The eye test tells me he's a far better prospect than Laughton was/is

He's heating up now, about to go on a nice little playoff run with Acadie, sit back and enjoy. He's going to continue to open eyes with LHV in my opinion.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Only thing that holds back this kid will be the injuries...
It's been one after another...and Ruby only 19!
He's playing against teenagers in junior as of now and it only gets more physical in the AHL skating with grown men!
Who knows what's in store for Rubstov?Just hope he finds those Ruby slippers in a hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad