Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I'm still not disappointed, he has all the tools, PPG in the Q, PPG in the MHL through all the injuries and playing for 5 different teams, adjustment to NA ice. These are extremely small sample sizes, still feels like he's barely played any games in the Q. He's 19. The eye test tells me he's a far better prospect than Laughton was/is

He's heating up now, about to go on a nice little playoff run with Acadie, sit back and enjoy. He's going to continue to open eyes with LHV in my opinion.

Not trying to discredit your opinion on Rubstov, but did you ever watch Laughton in Oshawa? He was a men amongst boys and really seemed like the next Richards. Rubstov is not a far better prospect then Laughton was at the same age. Laughton had 2C and captain material written all over him. Id take draft+1 Laughton over Rubstov any day

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Not trying to discredit your opinion on Rubstov, but did you ever watch Laughton in Oshawa? He was a men amongst boys and really seemed like the next Richards. Rubstov is not a far better prospect then Laughton was at the same age. Laughton had 2C and captain material written all over him. Id take draft+1 Laughton over Rubstov any day

I've watched Rubtsov much more than Laughton in juniors, but everyone had already seen Laughton a bunch anyways. He had already played 5 games for the flyers and 6 games for the phantoms, he was also captain for team Canada at WJC (where he had a poor showing)

I was never impressed with Laughton as a prospect, always looked like a role player bottom 6 guy. Rubtsov looks like a surefire bet to be just as good as Laughton with much more upside from the eye test.

but to your question, no, I didn't watch nearly as much Laughton in Oshawa as I have Rubtsov in the Q/Russia u18 team

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Only thing that holds back this kid will be the injuries...
It's been one after another...and Ruby only 19!
He's playing against teenagers in junior as of now and it only gets more physical in the AHL skating with grown men!
Who knows what's in store for Rubstov?Just hope he finds those Ruby slippers in a hurry!

The biggest fear I have with Rubtsov is that he will take longer to be the pick we all hope for but we won't see it because he may have been traded due to the ammassed prospects we have and therefore less playing time and less patience.

I don't want to be "Voraceked" by him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The biggest fear I have with Rubtsov is that he will take longer to be the pick we all hope for but we won't see it because he may have been traded due to the ammassed prospects we have and therefore less playing time and less patience.

I don't want to be "Voraceked" by him.
With the amount of kids we are adding, we are going to have a lot of slow cooked prospects and some who get moved due to lack of space and opportunity here. But that's a good thing too....having lots of GOOD depth. Not trash after trash.

As an example, I look at the Leafs. Yuck....I hate even saying that....but anyways. Kapanen is still only on their 4th line, but he provides great speed and PKing ability, but still has upside. But look at the depth. Compare their bottom 6 scoring ability to ours....lol.

Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Tomas Plekanec-Kasperi Kapanen
Josh Leivo

The point is, in time we will be able to actually ice good players and guys who can contribute, in our bottom 6. It has been a long time coming with lots of top picks directed toward the defense. But man I can't wait until we have 3 lines capable of scoring every night. And hopefully a guy like Rubstov is a reason why.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Laughton was too good to be playing in Juniors his last season. He should have been in the AHL (I know, he wasn't allowed to) after his draft+1 season. I do think playing that last year in Oshawa was way too easy for him and was detrimental to his development a bit. The next two when he came up, he looked like a shell of what he did in juniors and what he does now.

I always thought that 2C potential was an unfair comparison for Laughton. At the time of his draft, many thought of him as a shutdown guy in the NHL (he was in the U-18 and the U-20 tournaments) , a lot of comparisons to John Madden were made.

I think next season, he can be our 3C, at the very least as a stop gap guy there (I don't want to see Filp again). He should be playing 12-15min a night, not 7-10. I do think that he's well suited for a middle 6 wing spot as well. He can use his speed a bit more to be able to get a few more shots on goal, he might have best wrist shot on the team.

Sorry to turn this into Laughton thread.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A lot better players than Laughton have played in the CHL as 19 year olds. Like Brayden Point.

People worry so much about Hextall trading prospects but he still hasn’t traded a single player that he drafted, and he only traded Cousins because of the expansion draft.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
A lot better players than Laughton have played in the CHL as 19 year olds. Like Brayden Point.

My assumption is you are referring to my comment above. Well, yes. A lot of player have played in the CHL at the age of 19, never said they didn't.

What I did say was that his last season was detrimental to his development. Laughton was always been known as a two-way guy with leadership, the kind of guy that does 'the right thing'. But I think the last season of juniors, he could be lazy and get away with it. When he came up to the Flyers, he had at least some of that in his on- and off-ice attitude based on comments from Hextall prior to the start of this season.

Hexy quotes from Sons of Penn Article from Sept 2017.

“Scotty has really done a good job,” he said. I felt like when he was up here a couple years ago he was a little bit lost in terms of his identity as a player. He wasn’t really sure, didn’t fill a real role for us.”

“He went down [to the AHL], really buckled down. He was a terrific penalty killer for Lehigh. He played with an edge. Got in the forecheck, used speed, and he’s really… I think he’s in the best shape of his life.”

“He’s grown up. He’s grown up as a human being and quite honestly I was a little upset with Scotty there for a bit, but right now i couldn’t be prouder of him.”

If you disagree with my opinion, no problems here, tell me why.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

People worry so much about Hextall trading prospects but he still hasn’t traded a single player that he drafted, and he only traded Cousins because of the expansion draft.
And because Cousins is not very good. The fact that he was able to get something for him, is great

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cousins is not very good, but he's also not bad. Without the ED they probably keep him and waive Leier.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Seriously. Cousins was traded because of the ED. Madsen was moved because he wasn't going to sign. The closest thing to a prospect they've outright given up on was Straka. Not exactly something to complain about.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Random thoughts but who would rather have Bellows over Rubstov AND Laberge at this point?

Bellows had a good WJC session, but he's not tearing up the CHL, nor did he look that good in his one college season:
53g 39-30 69
Twarynski is 6 months older
63g 43-27 70
Rubtsov who also played well in the WJC for Russia
46g 15-28 43

Bellows should be a solid NHL scorer, but he hasn't broken out the way you'd expect from an elite player in their 2nd post-draft season.
Rubtsov and Laberge have struggled with injuries and other issues. But Rubtsov will probably be a better two way player when he grows up.
I don't think we "won", but I wouldn't say we "lost" either right now.
It's not like we left someone like Frost on the table.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Random thoughts but who would rather have Bellows over Rubstov AND Laberge at this point?

Forget Laberge, I'd still rather have Rubtsov over Bellows. I really do believe his game will translate better as a pro. Bellows worries me how he'll adjust. Even the college level was too much for him last year before he bolted. He's dominated junior level competition for years, even back to his D-1 year. That he can score goals against teenagers has been known for a long time; he's got a lot to prove at higher levels. He's just such a one-note player, and he's not the brightest player either. I recall people salivating over Julien Gauthier too that draft for similar reasons. His pro adjustment has been unsurprisingly rocky. Or Max Jones was the other one people wouldn't shut up about.

But the root of your question is odd because the real question should be: would you make the same trade on draft day? Answer should be an unequivocal, "Yes." They got incredible value. They would've likely taken Rubtsov at their original spot anyway. They ended up flushing that value down the toilet in a deep 2nd round, one of the deepest in recent history. But it was still good value.

I'm sure we all wish it was Rubtsov+DeBrincat/Dahlen/Kuokkanen/Katchouk, and that would be a slam dunk, but it is what it is. And if we didn't take Rubtsov, I could think of a few others (Steel, Borgstrom, Kyrou) I'd use my hindsight powers on first. Hell, they would've been better off taking Hart at 36 and Dube or Raddysh with the other pick. But that's life. Laberge remains the weirdest pick they've made yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Remember that the Jets also got a 3rd round pick in that trade and took Luke Green. He is a PPG Dman in the Q this year.....small sample size after being out with a bad shoulder.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Forget Laberge, I'd still rather have Rubtsov over Bellows. I really do believe his game will translate better as a pro. Bellows worries me how he'll adjust. Even the college level was too much for him last year before he bolted. He's dominated junior level competition for years, even back to his D-1 year. That he can score goals against teenagers has been known for a long time; he's got a lot to prove at higher levels. He's just such a one-note player, and he's not the brightest player either. I recall people salivating over Julien Gauthier too that draft for similar reasons. His pro adjustment has been unsurprisingly rocky. Or Max Jones was the other one people wouldn't shut up about.

But the root of your question is odd because the real question should be: would you make the same trade on draft day? Answer should be an unequivocal, "Yes." They got incredible value. They would've likely taken Rubtsov at their original spot anyway. They ended up flushing that value down the toilet in a deep 2nd round, one of the deepest in recent history. But it was still good value.

I'm sure we all wish it was Rubtsov+DeBrincat/Dahlen/Kuokkanen/Katchouk, and that would be a slam dunk, but it is what it is. And if we didn't take Rubtsov, I could think of a few others (Steel, Borgstrom, Kyrou) I'd use my hindsight powers on first. Hell, they would've been better off taking Hart at 36 and Dube or Raddysh with the other pick. But that's life. Laberge remains the weirdest pick they've made yet.
That one hurts a lot. I wanted Gauthier that draft lol, that would’ve been bad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't write off Laberge quite yet, he's still 19, he had a nice pre-draft season at 17: 56g 23-45 68.
Maybe he isn't what they thought, but just as probable is that it's taken him two years to get over a really bad injury.
I think he'll be in the AHL because of the flood of picks behind him (9 more this season before Hextall starts wheeling and dealing), they're going to have to make up and out decisions on some players the next couple years.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That one hurts a lot. I wanted Gauthier that draft lol, that would’ve been bad.

We would have never drafted a Finn in round 7, let alone a re-entry Finn in round 1, who is a dangler. It's like 3 strikes.

Gauthier I always had a strong dislike for. I wrote a lot of negative posts on him lol. And Jones. I was tearing my hair out reading us take them in mocks. I liked Bellows more than them in his draft year.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Bratt and Mete also went in the later rounds. Still like Rubtsov and maintain that he's going to explode once he reaches LHV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->