Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't think he has top line potential.
Should make a great 3C behind Giroux and Coots when he's ready though. 200 foot player with some legit offensive skill

I think it depends what you think 1st line is IMO.

I think Rubtsov has ~60pt upside as a playmaking, two way centre. Not ideal 1st line realistic upside... but good enough to be a #1/2C if hits.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Rubtsov's translator answering the doping question.

Said all players were told to take a pill with juice every morning.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Bob McKenzie said it, but the Meldonium stuff might be overblown. That was obviously an organizational failure has it's a huge problem in Russian sports just in general.

I agree, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't scare off some GM's anyway. Hell there are still probably GM's that simply won't take Russians at all if they are still over there. He was obviously the guy they had targeted and knew he would be there at 22.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think it depends what you think 1st line is IMO.

I think Rubtsov has ~60pt upside as a playmaking, two way centre. Not ideal 1st line realistic upside... but good enough to be a #1/2C if hits.

Might not be the ideal 1st line center production but a perfect fit for what the Flyers are building IMO. A deep two way forward group with stud defensemen reminds me of the New Jersey dynasty.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Just glad it wasn't Jones.

I'm glad it wasn't Jones either.
Wasn't sold on Jones he's just another big 4th line goon type of player with no offensive upside.
Flyers needed a playmaker not another big guy along the boards.

I Wanted them to pick either Katchouk, Rubtsov or D-man Lucas Johansen

Good job Ron Hextall for trading down to get Rubtsov at #22 and getting Winnipeg's 2nd round pick at #36

2nd round targets RW Wade Allison, D Josh Mahura, C Noah Gregor or D Lucas Johansen
We have the 36th pick, 48th pick and the 52nd pick in the 2nd round

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have to laugh, I could've sworn that whatever pick we had, it was going to be a debate for a week, but somehow we forgot Rubtsov, or just didn't think he would've been picked and I wanna say most people are pretty psyched.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I have to laugh, I could've sworn that whatever pick we had, it was going to be a debate for a week, but somehow we forgot Rubtsov, or just didn't think he would've been picked and I wanna say most people are pretty psyched.

There were a lot of people that wanted him at 18 at the start of the day

back to back Russians in the 1st round. It's certainly not your fathers Flyers.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

I don't think anyone was expecting a true Russian from Russia. :laugh:

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Looks like a good pick, great potential. We've had a lot of success at 22 (Gagné and Giroux), hopefully we have the same success with Rubstov.

I liked the trade too. We got from 18 to 22 (the drop isn't that much) to grab pick #36, which is almost a late first, much much better than the 3rd rounder we traded. Didn't expect the 2nd to be 36th when I heard it. We're gonna be stacked on high-potential prospects!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Don't know if it was posted, but Flyers stated that if there wasnt a doping scandle, they think he goes top 10.

People were excited about his U18s

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

I think most people wanted a goal scorer. We still need one as the playoffs showed. We got a very good prospect today, but we still have a need that we may ultimately have to address in Free Agency unless we stumble into one tomorrow.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's funny, commentators still think the Flyer prototype is a big goon who likes to fight.

I'd say the prototype is Raffl with better offensive skills, or Couts, 6'1 200-210 lbs, above average speed, tough two way defensive players who forecheck.

Mix in a few playmakers and PF types, but if you can put together 4 lines with these kind of guys and come in waves, you can wear down most teams. And match them with defensemen who play like forwards, well . . . we got some fun times to look forward to!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think most people wanted a goal scorer. We still need one as the playoffs showed. We got a very good prospect today, but we still have a need that we may ultimately have to address in Free Agency unless we stumble into one tomorrow.

I think the need for a goal scorer is exaggerated, because we're about to add a group of defensemen who can score, Ghost, Sanheim, Provorov, Myers. Gudas showed a dangerous shot from the point, and even MDZ has real skills.

We've just taken for granted that a "normal" defense has guys like an aging Streit, Schultz, McDonald and Manning.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Where would you rank Rubtsov on first impressions?

I have him behind Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny and Myers, and ahead of AK. The depth in this organization after tomorrow is going to be impressive.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Been reading his thread on the prospect board and people are really high on him.

And of course that one lunatic who CONSTANLY cries about Russians playing in CHL is in there doing his thing. :laugh:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Where would you rank Rubtsov on first impressions?

I have him behind Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny and Myers, and ahead of AK. The depth in this organization after tomorrow is going to be impressive.

My Flyers prospect top 10 not including goalie's
LD Provorov WHL Brandon
LD Sanheim WHL Calgary
C Konecny OHL Sarnia
RD Myers QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda
C Rubtsov MHL Team Russia U18
RW Aube-Kubel QMJHL Val d'Or
RW Fazleev WHL Calgary
LW Lindblom SHL Brynas IF
RD Friedman NCAA Bowling Green State U
LW Dove-McFalls QMJHL Saint John

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Did Morin die or something? :laugh:

My early list would probably be something like this:
1. Ivan Provorov
2. Travis Sanheim
3. Travis Konecny
4. Samuel Morin
5. German Rubstov
6. Philippe Myers
7. Oskar Lindblom
8. Nicolas Aube-Kubel
9. Mark Friedman
10. Mikhail Vorobyov

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I think the need for a goal scorer is exaggerated, because we're about to add a group of defensemen who can score, Ghost, Sanheim, Provorov, Myers. Gudas showed a dangerous shot from the point, and even MDZ has real skills.

We've just taken for granted that a "normal" defense has guys like an aging Streit, Schultz, McDonald and Manning.

We just disagree then. I saw the Capitals series and firmly believe that we need more players capable of getting and finishing their own shot. A second line goal scorer who pushes down someone in the top 6 to give the line-up more length.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
My Flyers prospect top 10 not including goalie's
LD Provorov WHL Brandon
LD Sanheim WHL Calgary
C Konecny OHL Sarnia
RD Myers QMJHL Rouyn-Noranda
C Rubtsov MHL Team Russia U18
RW Aube-Kubel QMJHL Val d'Or
RW Fazleev WHL Calgary