Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 2: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I have to get a Patrick jersey now since that's my first name...I always wanted Jeff Oneill to be a Flyer so I could have my last name on a jersey but a Patrick jersey will do just fine!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The weird thing with Patrick is he would have been the youngest player in last year's draft, so going 4th or 5th would have been impressive, he's the oldest player in this draft, but had he stayed healthy, would have put up draft + 1 numbers that match just about any draft pick.

I think the best way to think of him is less as a #1 center than as a great fit, he's got good size (figure he'll fill out to 6'3 210 in a year), good skating, shooting, etc. Not an elite player but one that can give you 15 years of top flight two way play and allow you to add smaller, faster players like Konency to your lineup without fear of being bullied.

He won't be as good as Crosby or some other elite centers, but he's a guy you can match against Crosby (or if Couts takes that role, be your scoring center).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's got a man's body at 19, he's not going back to juniors.
Adding him and Lindblom is an amazing one/two punch.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
CHICAGO – When the Flyers moved from No. 13 to No. 2 in the draft lottery, club president Paul Holmgren called it an “unexpected gift.”

On Friday night, the Flyers opened their “present,” and out popped Nolan Patrick, a sturdy 6-foot-2, 199-pound center whom some scouts thought was the best player in the draft.

After New Jersey took dynamic center Nico Hischier with the top pick at the United Center, the Flyers selected Patrick, a prolific scorer and passer who said he is fully recovered from the two sports hernias that limited him to 33 games last season.

“I didn’t play one game this year feeling myself and being 100 percent,” Patrick said on Thursday, “so I just need a good summer to get back to where I need to be.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...=social&cid=Philly.com+Sports+Twitter+Account

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hey remember last year we were the "smallest" team in the NHL.

Something tells me that won't happen this year.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Ive been saying all along that Patrick is the best player in the draft. We got a guy with no weakness. We got the best goal scorer, playmaker, we got the best player.

Im so so happy right now. This guy with our defense is the future of this team. We are ready to make some noise

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If he has the drive to succeed, he will be a great player in the league. 2 years ago everyone was talking about how we was a going to be an elite center men. Kid was hurt if he wasn't he would've been the #1 pick by a mile. Does he have the intensity and passion to be an elite player... that's the question but Mcrimmon pushing hard to get him makes me think he's a good team player and potential captain. He reminds me of when I watched Joe Thorton when he was a junior player. Will see soon enough, Flyers definitely lucked out in the opportunity to get a 1C (even if he busts the kid has a shot at being a #1)

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
just wanted to come over to say congratulations again - i personally preferred patrick (just a bit), but had a feeling shero would pick nico.

i have to say, going 3 threads worth of arguing made me fall in love with both players, so i don't know if i'll be able to hate patrick that much going forward. but i know he's such a good fit for your "stereotype" - he can be gritty and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. great fit for you guys! congrats again :)

ps - nice pick on morgan frost

edit: i leave you with a gif creation

0DKIKcv.gif

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
just wanted to come over to say congratulations again - i personally preferred patrick (just a bit), but had a feeling shero would pick nico.

i have to say, going 3 threads worth of arguing made me fall in love with both players, so i don't know if i'll be able to hate patrick that much going forward. but i know he's such a good fit for your "stereotype" - he can be gritty and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. great fit for you guys! congrats again :)

ps - nice pick on morgan frost

edit: i leave you with a gif creation

0DKIKcv.gif

Thanks, yes, it will be hard for us to hate Nico, but we'll manage. ;)

Nice gif!

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
With the Schenn trade, i think it's safe to assume that he's a lock to be on this team next year.

I can't bring myself to say that he'll instantly be their best C, but one day he will be.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
In an interview with Patrick just now on NHL Tonight.....Nolan said he figured he would go to Philly because the Flyers looked into his injury history more than the Devils.....interesting. Guess the Devils really had Nico on their radar all along...as reported by many.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Congrats guys! Best player in the draft imo!

It's the "Patrick Division" again!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Can someone add him admitting he didn't want to go to NJ to the OP?

If you watched the NHL draft, it didnt appear he "wanted" to go anywhere.

This guy must have ice water in his veins because he seemed very unimpressed with being drafted into the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad