Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Some bad luck with Labarge, and Rubtsov has struggled with injuries.
And of course, Patrick was the ultimate in bad luck, he looked like he was ready to turn the corner at 20 years old.
JOB is way too early to write off, his bounce back in the BCHL says his skills are intact, just has to climb the learning curve.

Ginning was #50, you're going to miss on the majority of picks at that point in the draft, given we hit on NAK and Hart, and Allison seems to be over his ACL, not a bad track record overall.
It'll look a lot better if Ratcliffe pans out in a couple years.
I wouldn't say they "hit" on NAK just yet. Well using the 1st 2 rounds he has a mixed bag so far.

What do you mean a bounce back year in BCHL? Not sure PAtrick was ready to turn the corner as he has been inconsistent through out his 2 years.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
2017 - Patrick and Frost = both expected to contribute
2018 - Farabee = already contributing and its way too early to completely write off O'Brien

2016 we missed on our 1st but got Hart, Allison, Laczynski, and Hogberg after the 1st

Nothing sad to see here. Our recent draft record is still much better than the majority of teams.
2016 draft jury is still out on. 3 of those guys haven't played a pro game in north america yet. Maybe all 3 do nothing, maybe they contribute.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Carter Hart.

The jury has adjourned.
stop. does nt absolve other bad picks. funny how he was the 3rd player flyers took that draft. Outside of hart to an extent and oscar what has his picks outside the 1st rd done so far? Granted still early on the ones who have only played 1 year pro or entering first year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You also have to look at drafts, 2014 and 2015 were very deep, we landed Sanheim, Provorov and TK in those drafts.
2016-18 were much thinner.

Reactions: Rebels57

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
You also have to look at drafts, 2014 and 2015 were very deep, we landed Sanheim, Provorov and TK in those drafts.
2016-18 were much thinner.
I looked at the entire body of work. I said 2014 may be his best when all said and done.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There's really no reason to "not expect Patrick to produce" though.

He will be back at some point next season and still has the talent to produce. In 2 years time this entire unfortunate situation could be firmly in the rearview mirror while Patrick is pushing Hayes for 2C ice time.
We know for certain he'll be back next season? That is news to me.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For the record, I was hoping for Veleno or Sandin at 19. Liked Berggren a lot, too.

But the videos I watched of O’Brien after the pick were encouraging, as well as his coaches’ praise about his skill & tenacity.

Maybe he’ll get it together at BU. But unfortunately so far the worries that he dominated HS kids & that his game might not translate against better competition appear valid. I don’t know if it’s an issue of processing the game at higher speed (though Hextall raved about his hockey sense) or perhaps a lack of strength, but something is lacking. So far, at least. Because he did look like he had TK type talent.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Reading the JOB funeral from the fanbase is really interesting. He got written off as a bust very quickly.

Compare JOB to the way Samuel Morin was seen by the fanbase for so, so long. Hell, Morin finished ahead of JOB in our prospect voting just a year ago (not to mention Zamula). That's really telling.

Morin, was a 24 year old. Versus JOB, who was still a teenager. Morin, with a questionable, old-school skill set. Versus JOB's skill and tenacity.

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it likely comes down to marketing. Morin was drafted when we had very few legit prospects and got the Flyers media hype machine behind him. Even when Phil Myers broke on the scene, the fans still coveted Morin higher for way longer than was logical.

It's understandably
easy for JOB to get lost in the shuffle amidst our heap of prospects. Providence was never on TV and he rode the bench in the WJC.

@FLYguy3911 and I watched a bunch of his Providence games and had mostly positive things to say about him. I only saw him once in Penticton. I believe @FLYguy3911 is in the same boat with viewings on him, but we both still ranked him easily within the top 10 of our current prospect pool.

His skill set is very intriguing. He has a big motor. I think as long as his head and heart are still in it, he should be fine. He could be discouraged and disinterested by the whole transfer process but if not, I still think we might have a player here.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Reading the JOB funeral from the fanbase is really interesting. He got written off as a bust very quickly.

Compare JOB to the way Samuel Morin was seen by the fanbase for so, so long. Hell, Morin finished ahead of JOB in our prospect voting just a year ago (not to mention Zamula). That's really telling.

Morin, was a 24 year old. Versus JOB, who was still a teenager. Morin, with a questionable, old-school skill set. Versus JOB's skill and tenacity.

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it likely comes down to marketing. Morin was drafted when we had very few legit prospects and got the Flyers media hype machine behind him. Even when Phil Myers broke on the scene, the fans still coveted Morin higher for way longer than was logical.

It's understandably
easy for JOB to get lost in the shuffle amidst our heap of prospects. Providence was never on TV and he rode the bench in the WJC.

@FLYguy3911 and I watched a bunch of his Providence games and had mostly positive things to say about him. I only saw him once in Penticton. I believe @FLYguy3911 is in the same boat with viewings on him, but we both still ranked him easily within the top 10 of our current prospect pool.

His skill set is very intriguing. He has a big motor. I think as long as his head and heart are still in it, he should be fine. He could be discouraged and disinterested by the whole transfer process but if not, I still think we might have a player here.
That reads a bit like Laughton. Is that sorta what can be expected out of him if all goes well?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That reads a bit like Laughton. Is that sorta what can be expected out of him if all goes well?
Might be a decent comparison, actually.

Both are fast with good shots. Both probably are better suited at wing. Took Laughton a while, but he’s eventually become a pretty good player.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

Speaking strictly for myself, the difference was attitude. Morin was humble, hard working, and has a unique skillset. A great team player. JOB came out of HS, dropped out of college to play in the BCHL, and left to go somewhere else. Fair or not, it stinks of a reach of a pick on someone with significant maturity issues. A bust in the making. (IIRC, I may have even had Laberge in front of him based on attitude and hopeless optimism. Or had JOB BEHIND Laberge for the reasons previously stated)

Now, I hope he has his act together and can start to live up to the potential, but like seemingly many others around her, I'm not expecting much. But I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think he suddenly forgot how to skate (which was one of his strong suits), and his scoring in the BCHL, while not spectacular, was steady and he improved as the season progressed (0ff to a hot playoff before everything shut down).

At worst, he might end up a faster, smarter version of Laughton, a middle six guy who can give you 30-40 ES points and some PK duty.

Even if Giroux, Voracek and JVR fall off the cliff (or get traded or picked in the ED) three years from now:
2022-23:
Farabee - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Hayes - Brink
Laughton - Frost - NAK
Cates - Bunnaman - Laczynski
JOB, Allison, Ratcliffe, (Sandin) Twarynski, Rubtsov, Sushko, Kase

If Patrick can return, we're even deeper.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

It's tough to say. JOB's path has been so weird. I think JOB is more naturally talented and has better puck skills.

Watching his pre-draft shift videos, you can easily see why Hextall loved him. He's all over the ice wreaking havoc.

Laughton's floor as an NHL player was always evident. Much more so than JOB. Laughton had the Canadian Program of Excellence (this is a real thing) stamp of approval as a two-way "play the right way" type.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Speaking strictly for myself, the difference was attitude. Morin was humble, hard working, and has a unique skillset. A great team player. JOB came out of HS, dropped out of college to play in the BCHL, and left to go somewhere else. Fair or not, it stinks of a reach of a pick on someone with significant maturity issues. A bust in the making. (IIRC, I may have even had Laberge in front of him based on attitude and hopeless optimism. Or had JOB BEHIND Laberge for the reasons previously stated)

Now, I hope he has his act together and can start to live up to the potential, but like seemingly many others around her, I'm not expecting much. But I would love to be wrong.

JOB had some injuries at Providence, got buried and wasn't comfortable, but I don't remember any significant maturity issues.
Sometimes things don't work out.
But all reports out of the BCHL praise his work ethic.

His problem was probably playing HS hockey instead of going to the USHL, a lot of USHL players go to college after playing 50-100 games, whereas JOB was coming off a 30 game HS season.

Cates 71 USHL games
Brink 58 USHL games plus WJC-18
Laczynski 113 USHL games
Allison 109 USHL games

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
I don't think he suddenly forgot how to skate (which was one of his strong suits), and his scoring in the BCHL, while not spectacular, was steady and he improved as the season progressed (0ff to a hot playoff before everything shut down).

At worst, he might end up a faster, smarter version of Laughton, a middle six guy who can give you 30-40 ES points and some PK duty.

Even if Giroux, Voracek and JVR fall off the cliff (or get traded or picked in the ED) three years from now:
2022-23:
Farabee - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Hayes - Brink
Laughton - Frost - NAK
Cates - Bunnaman - Laczynski
JOB, Allison, Ratcliffe, (Sandin) Twarynski, Rubtsov, Sushko, Kase

If Patrick can return, we're even deeper.
at worst he never plays in the nhl

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Providence was a horrible choice by him. I'm glad he left. The style they play truly is stifling. Providence hasn't produced many NHL'ers, under Nate Leaman, with any impact. Watching Providence, it's easy to see why.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
In O’Brien’s defense, he was a freshman playing on a very defense-oriented NCAA team, & that probably was a big drain on his playing time & huge change from his superstar offensive role in HS.

I was concerned that he didn’t dominate more for his age & skill level in the BCHL, though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We know for certain he'll be back next season? That is news to me.

There's no precedent of a player missing 2 years due to migraines. It's a safe bet he will be back. Don't be surprised if he is in training camp and ready to go for the 20-21 season.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
We're writing off JOB already eh? I got in about 5 viewings when he was with Penticton this past season and he was their best player by a fairly significant margin. Drove breakouts, engineered entries, forechecked relentlessly, was hard on the puck, & drove every line he was on. Played with a lot of pace too.

Nothing I saw from this past season indicated a player who will in no way become an NHLer (AKA: becoming a bust). Bottom 6 tenacious forward seems like a pretty realistic outcome at this point. He is intriguing. STRANGE development path for sure, but there is something there with this player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We're writing off JOB already eh? I got in about 5 viewings when he was with Penticton this past season and he was their best player by a fairly significant margin. Drove breakouts, engineered entries, forechecked relentlessly, was hard on the puck, & drove every line he was on. Played with a lot of pace too.

Nothing I saw from this past season indicated a player who will in no way become an NHLer (AKA: becoming a bust). Bottom 6 tenacious forward seems like a pretty realistic outcome at this point. He is intriguing. STRANGE development path for sure, but there is something there with this player.

Like 1 person to be fair lol

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hopefully he doesn't end up like Rubtsov and Laberge, having significant injuries every season and slowly flaming out. I still have some hope for Ruby, not much for Laby.

I think it was January when Tripod was doing the JOB-watch because he he wasn't playing for weeks and no one knew why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad