Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, the USHL makes more sense, higher level of competition, pretty similar to the CHL (actually tougher to score).

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Jay O’Brien has actually quit hockey and is pursuing a new career in televangelism.

qCTs6os.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

"I shall read to you a passage from the Coach Hakstok Bible," said the minister in the snot covered burlap frock.

"Then the LORD said to Sanheim, 'Have you considered my servant JOB? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.' 'Does Job fear God for nothing?' Sanheim replied."

"I'm sorry," a parishioner interrupted. "You keep saying Sanheim. Don't you mean Satan?"

"Satan has many names. We must know them all."

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I feel like drafted college players should not be penalized by the transfer rule. It creates weird situations like the one we are seeing

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just get him on the ice anywhere this year, next season is what will count, whether it's BU or the AHL.

bear3330

Jul 8, 2018
JOB has 13pts in 8 games so far in the BCHL. That puts him on a 94pt pace over the 58 game schedule.

If he keeps up that production, does he reestablish himself as a top prospect? Serious question, I don't know what to expect with him being in the BCHL. It sounds impressive to me at face value.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Okay, for real this time. When I watched him early in the season, he looked fine, just not getting on the score sheet. I even went back and watched a couple games on YouTube this summer. Maybe I can find the links. No red flags stand out in his skill-set. Slick hands, goal scoring, playmaking, off puck IQ, high energy, not a burner but darty. Maybe his mystery factor got a little overhyped the summer after his draft, but I still see plenty of room for a middle 6 RW. He still has a better skill package than some guys ranked higher here.

It’s easy to write him off or be reasonably skeptical because we are 2 seasons away from knowing what he really is. I might compare him to another player like Laberge, who got the hype with a scoop of serious injury concerns. I watched Laberge before and after his injury, and I just didn’t see close to anything to give me hope. You have guys like Bellows and so on who can’t cut it in a pro style game and regress to their comfort zone in juniors. They do well, but their same flaws await them later.

JOB has to be an outlier, no two ways about it, but I think he can be. Maybe Rubtsov is a decent comparable, with a disaster age 19 season, though he’s not exactly a hit yet. JOB has more natural skill and pop than Rubtsov though. Long story short: I’m not selling my stock just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad