Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #19: Jay O'Brien, C, MA-USHS --> Providence U

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, I suspect they'll be happy to have JOB in three years.
A year in the BCHL to polish his game, a year in college to play against older players, then AHL/NHL.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Oh, I suspect they'll be happy to have JOB in three years.
A year in the BCHL to polish his game, a year in college to play against older players, then AHL/NHL.

It would stink if the Flyers are patient with him, he gets good, and then he pulls that NCAA UFA deal and signs with whomever he wants...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Per twitter: Jay O’Brien confirms he has filed a petition to be able to play at Boston U. this season. He’s still waiting for the answer.

The nice theory that old man O'Brien only wanted to pad his stats against children half his age does not look too good now does it?

Curious to know on what grounds he filed...

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Can't see how this latest request would get approved - on what grounds? This never happens, in NCAA transfers

Wonder how Penticton in the BCHL feels about this. He just announced he'd play there a few weeks ago. Sure to be a little awkward there, if/when he reports when his latest transfer request is denied (which again it is sure to be).

Says something, that the team went to the Frozen Four without him. Hear that there were no tears at Providence when he left...

He better get his head on straight, as right now this quitting, or leaving, or always looking for a "better" chance - will get old soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Can't see how this latest request would get approved - on what grounds? This never happens, in NCAA transfers

Wonder how Penticton in the BCHL feels about this. He just announced he'd play there a few weeks ago. Sure to be a little awkward there, if/when he reports when his latest transfer request is denied (which again it is sure to be).

Really wonder what is going on with this kid. Says something, that the team went to the Frozen Four without him. Hear that there were no tears at Providence when he left...

He better get his head on straight, as right now this quitting, or leaving, or always looking for a "better" chance - will get old soon.

What’s the news out of Providence that you’re referring to?

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Per twitter: Jay O’Brien confirms he has filed a petition to be able to play at Boston U. this season. He’s still waiting for the answer.

The nice theory that old man O'Brien only wanted to pad his stats against children half his age does not look too good now does it?

Curious to know on what grounds he filed...

Are you suggesting he’d be ineligible?

I know that wrestling transfers happen all the time. Don’t think they usually encounter any hitches? Different rules might apply though

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Are you suggesting he’d be ineligible?

I know that wrestling transfers happen all the time. Don’t think they usually encounter any hitches? Different rules might apply though
In hockey its 1 year waiting time for transfers. As far as the previous poster's claims he alienated his teammates with a 1st pick attitude, did not work hard and what not well i have yet to read any fact besides that terrible 1 game suspension. Didnt hear a thing from O'Brien too so that tells me he does not that much of an attitude.

From all comments its pretty obvious to me main reason of his bad 1st NCAA season lies in a bad fit on a veteran defense-first team.

Could be 100 things. really. Student athletes transfer all the time. BCHL team was a last resort kind of move, better than sitting a whole season. Player cannot play AHL.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
In hockey its 1 year waiting time for transfers. As far as the previous poster's claims he alienated his teammates with a 1st pick attitude, did not work hard and what not well i have yet to read any fact besides that terrible 1 game suspension. Didnt hear a thing from O'Brien too so that tells me he does not that much of an attitude.

From all comments its pretty obvious to me main reason of his bad 1st NCAA season lies in a bad fit on a veteran defense-first team.

Could be 100 things. really. Student athletes transfer all the time. BCHL team was a last resort kind of move, better than sitting a whole season. Player cannot play AHL.

Can’t say I understand the one year wait for transfers.

The bad attitude comments are a little surprising to me. Feel like the Providence coach only had nice things to say about O’Brien despite the points drought.

Reactions: Jtown

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
It is very rare that immediate transfers are granted in NCAA major sports, football, basketball, hockey, etc. I've only heard this happen in cases of family hardships - needing to move closer to home for a sick mother, etc. In sports, it used to be if you transferred within the conference (as he wants to do), you had to sit out 2 years. Don't think that exists anymore, but everyone sits the one year.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Can’t say I understand the one year wait for transfers.

The bad attitude comments are a little surprising to me. Feel like the Providence coach only had nice things to say about O’Brien despite the points drought.
As per NCAA site: "A Required Transition Year. While you do not lose a year of eligibility athletically, all student-athletes who transfer are required to sit out for one full sports season of competition. You are allowed to attend practices and games, but you cannot participate until that year is over."

Lots of hate on this player. Not sure why really.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
As per NCAA site: "A Required Transition Year. While you do not lose a year of eligibility athletically, all student-athletes who transfer are required to sit out for one full sports season of competition. You are allowed to attend practices and games, but you cannot participate until that year is over."

Lots of hate on this player. Not sure why really.

Maybe there’s some weird exception for wrestling? Guess it makes sense given the small varsity roster sizes.

Transfers happen all the time and there’s no waiting period.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Since O'Brien has such a bad attitude, Providence's coach might as well sign his release so he can go poison an opponent...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maybe there’s some weird exception for wrestling? Guess it makes sense given the small varsity roster sizes.

Baseball, football, basketball, and hockey are much harder to get immediate non-Graduate transfers for than everything else.

They have been granting more in recent years in those 4 sports as well, but it's historically been quite tough.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Digged a little. Where i live the one-year sit rule is enforced at the high school level. Of course there are exceptions: family moving, school not offering specific program and more.

April 2019: The NCAA relaxed its transfer rules and awarded waivers to players with "documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

May 18: Currently, there exists a “year in residence” requirement that forces transfers to sit out one year before returning to NCAA competition – but that requirement is only in place for five NCAA sports: football, hockey, baseball, men’s basketball and women’s basketball.

...That means athletes with a GPA of 3.3 or better could transfer without sitting out a year, while those with GPAs of 3.2 or lower would have to sit out the year upon transferring. That would currently only affect the five sports with the sit-out requirement.

“What do people say about transfers? They say, 'Well kids today, they don’t want to go through any adversity. It gets the least bit difficult, and they just pick up and leave.' Well first of all, that’s not true, and second, if it were true, so what?”

In the past six months, Mars has become the go-to lawyer for parents of student-athletes wanting to transfer and play immediately. He set the bar high with his work with Patterson and his five Ole Miss teammates, all of whom were granted waivers.

Reactions: wankstifier

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Since O'Brien has such a bad attitude, Providence's coach might as well sign his release so he can go poison an opponent...

The Providence coach has nothing to do with it . He has to apply to the NCAA stating reasons for leaving and why he wants the one year wait waived . The NCAA decides nobody else .

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
The Providence coach has nothing to do with it . He has to apply to the NCAA stating reasons for leaving and why he wants the one year wait waived . The NCAA decides nobody else .
Well i gathered from the paragraph i quoted that the school hence the coach or maybe the athletic director it doesnt matter had to release their player. I believe this has to be done before filing with the NCAA. Could be wrong.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well i gathered from the paragraph i quoted that the school hence the coach or maybe the athletic director it doesnt matter had to release their player. I believe this has to be done before filing with the NCAA. Could be wrong.
Players are on year to year scholarships that's why some players are just released from their teams at the end of the season . Last year Miami told 5 players that they were not coming back , 2 years before that U mass told 10 players the same thing . So no the coach or athletic director don't have to release nothing .

Carson Meyer transferred from Miami to Ohio State the year before after his sophmore year. He ended up pooping out a 2 foot tapeworm and took pictures with time line as proof . Claimed the coach had road his ass all year benched him and suspended him and treated him like a real dick cause of a lack of energy and production . The NCAA looked into it and granted him a immediate transfer . So it does happen .

Miami,s coach of 25 years was let go a few months ago .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think coaches should be forced to sit out a year and lose a year's pay when they break their contract to take a more lucrative deal.
I mean a commitment is a commitment, right?

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018
Really wonder what is going on with this kid. The more you hear about how he handled his freshman season, besides what was already discussed above on this thread - understand he really alienated teammates with his "I'm a first round pick" attitude, and his failure to work hard coming back from his injuries. Says something, that the team went to the Frozen Four without him. Hear that there were no tears at Providence when he left...

Remember all that crap Pierre was spewing at the draft with how great this kid was... Even Paul Stewart wrote an article about him, based mainly on the character of his family.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Baseball used to have a free transfers about 10 years ago and it was a mess. The big schools were just scouting the summer leagues and plucking kids.

Might have had something to do with scholarships. Baseball teams have a max of 11.7 scholarships to hand out to a 25-30 man roster. Hard to tell a kid he can’t transfer to another school freely when he could be paying 75% of tuition out of pocket.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I think coaches should be forced to sit out a year and lose a year's pay when they break their contract to take a more lucrative deal.
I mean a commitment is a commitment, right?
They would have to sit 90 percent of all the coaches then. A friend of mine kid just told he was not coming back to a D1 team about a month ago .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad