Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 14: Cam York, D, USNTDP --> Michigan

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have no problem with the York pick if he was BPA for them, but it sure seems like they were filling a need targeting a dman.

Caufield would have represented a deviation from being the scared franchise this has become, but with the vet d acquisitions and the Hayes signing and pressure from the corporate overlord, it is pretty clear they are being aggressive in the safest way they can envision.

I like the pick. We need to restock the cupboard with defensive prospects. Would of preferred Caufield but the Flyers weren’t the only ones to pass on him. I dont know if being scared to take him is the only reason.
We will know in a few years if the Flyers and several other clubs made a mistake

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I like the pick. We need to restock the cupboard with defensive prospects. Would of preferred Caufield but the Flyers weren’t the only ones to pass on him. I dont know if being scared to take him is the only reason.
We will know in a few years if the Flyers and several other clubs made a mistake

The most common sense post I've seen in regards to the pick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Imagine having Caufield, Krebs, and Newhook on the board and taking another LHD when you're about to lock up two LHD long-term in the next few days, and also having Ghost for another 4 years if you don't do something stupid and trade him.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Imagine having Caufield, Krebs, and Newhook on the board and taking another LHD when you're about to lock up two LHD long-term in the next few days, and also having Ghost for another 4 years if you don't do something stupid and trade him.

Plus side is it’s clear they took who they thought was BPA

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I keep reading that he can play both sides just fine. Similar to how Ghost does.

So wouldn’t it be cool if in a few years (like literally 2 when Niskanen and Braun are gone) we have something like...
Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-York
?????-Myers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Except all three LHDs are eligible for the ED, along with Myers and Morin.
And I doubt Caufield, Krebs or Newhook are going to become elite players.
It's not like the Flyers lack young, talented forwards.

Reactions: Devonator

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I keep reading that he can play both sides just fine. Similar to how Ghost does.

So wouldn’t it be cool if in a few years (like literally 2 when Niskanen and Braun are gone) we have something like...
Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-York
?????-Myers

Wouldn't it be cooler if Hextall drafted K'Andre Miller or Rasmus Sandin over Jay f***ing O'Brien last year at 19th overall and then our jerkoff scouts didn't feel compelled to "restock the D prospects" by passing on Caufield for York?

Miller/Sandin & Caufield >>> O'Brien & York

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually we won't know that for 3-4 years.
JOB could fill out to 5'11 200, and be a fast talented forward who can produce in the playoffs.
Right now he's impossible to project, but the raw talent is there, more talent than Caufield who is a one trick pony.
And we don't know whether Miller or Sandin will be as good as York.

Of course, I want to win a Cup, so I'm not in love with players who'll put up great regular season scoring numbers but are likely to be MIA in the playoffs.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Always awesome picking a player that doesnt want to be a part of your organization.

Yeah but when he gets around more vets and sees what it is to be a pro he’ll change his tune, he’s still young and has room to grow as a person, I’m sure he wanted the Ducks to pick him of course that would have been cool BUT he got drafted by Philly and if it was me the first time I met G and the rest of the guys my whole outlook would change in a positive way

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Always awesome picking a player that doesnt want to be a part of your organization.

A few things here:

He’s a really young guy at a bizarre event. Who knows what’s running through his mind? Maybe he processes excitement differently than the other draftees

These prospects get a strong sense of how teams value them at interviews and other communication prior to the formal pick. He might’ve already been aware that the Flyers would take him.

If he isn’t satisfied, consider the fact that there are players who spend a long time with teams despite initially lukewarm interest in playing with them.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Downside, our scouts thought Morin, Rubstov, and O'Brien were also BPA.

The Morin pick was made almost a decade ago under different management and scout input.

I can agree with the logic of selecting Rubtsov and O’Brien. Externalities have delayed their development so far.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not sure if he was at a funeral or the NHL Draft last night.

IMG_20190622_104448.jpg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Perhaps someone can clue me in but why make this pick? Especially so if you've got Ghost, Provorov and Sanheim on the backend, I know you're drafting for the future but perhaps there was a forward who could be come in a lot sooner and be of impact?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Perhaps someone can clue me in but why make this pick? Especially so if you've got Ghost, Provorov and Sanheim on the backend, I know you're drafting for the future but perhaps there was a forward who could be come in a lot sooner and be of impact?
Our last six first round picks before York were all forwards. It's not like we've been drafting only defenseman for years.

Reactions: tucson83

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad