Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Sanheim has less experience but he's easily the best of the three. 80+ AHL games and a strong camp should be enough to get him on the team, especially as the MDZ replacement for PP2.
sanheim is likely more talented than everyone but provorov on the Flyers D. This has less to do with talent and more to do with asset management.

Lots of moves can be made between now and next year, but assuming Amac is back, IMO Hagg is most likely of our prospects to be dealt, and he will be showcased. sanheim gets to be a big dog one more year.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Lets not pretend that it's going rate. Teams overpay their homegrown talent to come to regret it later. Seideberg, fat Schenn and Quincy all got 1 million and they are all superior players to him.
I don't think any of those guys are superior to A Mac. They have superior contracts...

Amac is a bottom 3 dman playing as a 2. He's a pretty acceptable defender: skates ok, good angles and good on the PK. Hes terrible with the puck and bad in transition..zero offensive game.

It would be great if he wasn't here, but of defenseman as a defensive hockey player, hes probably 3rd on the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think any of those guys are superior to A Mac. They have superior contracts...

Amac is a bottom 3 dman playing as a 2. He's a pretty acceptable defender: skates ok, good angles and good on the PK. Hes terrible with the puck and bad in transition..zero offensive game.

It would be great if he wasn't here, but of defenseman as a defensive hockey player, hes probably 3rd on the team.

MacDonald is a #6 on a quality team.

He is average or below average at every single aspect and is mistake-prone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And if MacDonald was making $2.5M a year as the third pairing veteran D-man, we'd all accept as a slight overpay for a veteran, which is pretty normal.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Sanheim or Myers aren't on the team next year I hope they are adding someone from outside the organization. You can't go into next year with less offensive talent than you had this season on the blueline. That's scary to think about. Morin and Hagg may be nice pieces next year but they aren't going to be putting the puck in the net a whole lot. I'm not saying Sanheim or Myers will be saviors next year, but they need to generate more offense from the backend and they have a couple talented ones in the pool. The last thing this team needs is more "low risk" players.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If Sanheim or Myers aren't on the team next year I hope they are adding someone from outside the organization. You can't go into next year with less offensive talent than you had this season on the blueline. That's scary to think about. Morin and Hagg may be nice pieces next year but they aren't going to be putting the puck in the net a whole lot. I'm not saying Sanheim or Myers will be saviors next year, but they need to generate more offense from the backend and they have a couple talented ones in the pool. The last thing this team needs is more "low risk" players.

The best start would be firing Hakstol and playing Ghost more 5v5 but what do I know.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
And if MacDonald was making $2.5M a year as the third pairing veteran D-man, we'd all accept as a slight overpay for a veteran, which is pretty normal.

People would still complain until he is playing 3rd pairing minutes which is where he belongs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly don't even really care about MacDonald's contract at this point. Yeah it really sucks from a value perspective but it's not really preventing the Flyers from getting things done that they need to. The issue I have with MacDonald is the same I have with all the other slop ran through here in recent years. After awhile you just get tired of seeing them make the same mistakes while not offering much upside to lineup. So you want them gone asap.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What if we fired Hakstol and the new coach played him less?

I'll take my chances that the new coach isn't a complete idiot and says MacDonald is a top #3 dmen in the league. Although with the recent re-signing of PEB I'm starting to think that Hextall and Hakstol are both incompetent. Say whatever you want about Homer but he at least generally knew what talent was.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'll take my chances that the new coach isn't a complete idiot and says MacDonald is a top #3 dmen in the league. Although with the recent re-signing of PEB I'm starting to think that Hextall and Hakstol are both incompetent. Say whatever you want about Homer but he at least generally knew what talent was.

He actually said MacDonald was playing in a top 3 or 4 role on the Flyers, which is accurate based on ice time and usage. But I guess it's more fun to distort what Hakstol said into something else.

You're welcome to start a bring back Holmgren as GM thread any time you like. Throw in a poll, too.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He actually said MacDonald was playing in a top 3 or 4 role on the Flyers, which is accurate based on ice time and usage. But I guess it's more fun to distort what Hakstol said into something else.

You're welcome to start a bring back Holmgren as GM thread any time you like. Throw in a poll, too.

I don't really care what he said at this point and yes I'm aware that it meant in a top3 role. He continually rolls out MacDonald on 1st pairing minutes. MacDoanld sucks period and Hakstol is completely in over his head. Feel free to continue to shove your head in the sand.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/02/08/dave-hakstol-andrew-macdonald/

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
its a shame...because we have so many good defensive options.

I don't get this whole notion that guys play certain roles. It is an antiquated way of thinking. I don't give a damn if your up or down a goal in the last few minutes you shouldn't staple someone like Ghost to the bench. It is that kind of nonsense in some part why this team doesn't have a killer instinct to finish games out. All of the games I watched this season none of them I felt the flyers did a solid job for the whole 60 minutes.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
He actually said MacDonald was playing in a top 3 or 4 role on the Flyers, which is accurate based on ice time and usage.

That is NOT what he said. I'm the one that asked the question at the town hall and he said he'd take Macdonald as a top 3 or 4 guy any day of the week. I didn't record it but I can assure I was listening intently to the response to my own question.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good summary from Meltzer.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...ose-Road-Finale-in-OT-1-0--to-Devils/45/84277

Morin's first NHL game wasn't flawless but there was significantly more good than bad in his 24 shifts and 17:47 of total ice time. The 6-foot-7 defenseman was credited with a game-high seven hits, a takeaway and two shots on goal including a good scoring opportunity. In perhaps his most notable sequences, he made three straight good defensive plays near the blueline, accelerated quickly to harass Taylor Hall from behind without taking a penalty on a developing breakaway and, in another sequence, used his long reach to get to a loose puck ahead of two New Jersey players in the vicinity. Overall, he and Shayne Gostisbehere did well as a duo, with Gostisbehere having a particularly strong game.

Morin had a few dicey shifts, but nothing egregious. There was a turnover (not charged as a giveaway) when he tried to go up the wall with the puck in the waning seconds of the first period rather than hanging onto the puck and trying to tie up along the half boards. A couple times, his work-in-progress coverages of forwards attacking with speed to the outside came into play but he recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad