• Ryan O'Rielly

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
not MVP (yes I know that's what the thread is about but everyone is echoing the 3 top players for the most part) but I thought Knies played great

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Rielly, and the fact that Marner is 2nd in playoff scoring and ranks 6th in this poll shows we're getting contributions from everyone. Tavares hattrick in game 2 and series winner OT goal, 0 votes.

DEPTH

Reactions: therealkoho

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Big timely goals Morgan Rielly was the MVP in round #1.

Being paired with stay at home defensive Dman Shenn really allowed Mo to join the rush and drive the offense.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Rielly, and the fact that Marner is 2nd in playoff scoring and ranks 6th in this poll shows we're getting contributions from everyone. Tavares hattrick in game 2 and series winner OT goal, 0 votes.

DEPTH
Great point - there are a number of players who could have been MVP and it's that depth that will be important in each series we play.

I think the poll is pretty much correct now, with Reilly leading and Samsonov in 2nd.

I didn't like Tavares having zero (really, with a GWG and a hat trick?) so I just gave him one.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rielly dominated both ends of the ice, gotta be him with Matthews a close second.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Goaltending was the difference. Game #5 aside, Samsonov showed up in the elimination game where the others (Reimer, Andersen, Campbell) didn't.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Rielly played amazing but I had to vote Matthews on this one, scored some insanely clutch / important goals for us (also the way he tipped in the puck for his second goal in game 4 showed a lottt of skill, like that was a really difficult deflection to make). It’s too bad his shot isn’t what it used to be and Vasi did make some good saves but he still pumped in 5, on top of just absolutely tilting the ice every time he was out there and showing more propensity to carry the puck through the neutral zone than usual.

Reactions: authentic

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Surprised that Samsonov has been so high on some people's lists. He's been good and at some points VERY good, but he's also been very inconsistent.

I feel like Reilly has made his presence felt over the course of the whole series.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The fact that we can even have this thread makes me smile.
the fact that there are so many players who legitimately could be considered our R1 MVP is amazing. How many years would we have struggled to even find 1 player who played a good series?? This year you could list at least 6 players who fit the bill of series MVP. I voted Mo, but when I read this thread, I find I am second guessing myself with all of the other worthy options.

Mitch- MVP all season long. He was so good all series. Hard not to go with him.

Auston- 5 huge goals. Sparked the comeback in game 4. Got things going in game 6. Nails

Mo- Dominant. Took his game to another level. Best 6 game stretch of his career. Lead by example the entire way. No one raised their level of play more then Mo

Sammy- It wasn't always pretty, but he was great for the most part. He made the saves at critical times, which we ultimately failed to get the past 7 seasons.

Knies- I cannot believe how good this kid is already. He was a huge difference maker for us. Not only is he not looking out of place, he is making high level plays. On the ice for some of the biggest goals in Leaf history only 8 games into his NHL career.

ROR- Emotional leader of our group. I am not sure we win this series without him TBH. Dragged our boys into the fight every night. Was a part of some massive moments, including the GTG in game 3, GWG in game 3, and GTG in game 4.

Schenn- What more can you say about this guy. Absolute Warrior. Policed the series every game. His presence allowed us to play with confidence.

Acciari- Leads the NHL playoffs in hits. 11 more hits then any other forward in the league. 2 big goals in the series. You don't win without depth, and I am not sure any depth player played better then Noel. What an addition.

JT and Willy both had moments in the series that showed their class as well. Fact of the matter is, our best players were our best players, and overall, I am just so proud of each and every one of these players. I truly could go on and on about each and every one of them at this point.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
There is no round two without Tavares’ goal.

That’s the biggest goal in 20 years, the Matthews era, and the only reason we’re discussing possibilities.

I can see Matthews, but I can also see Tavares. That goal is a dividing line.

Honorable mention at least.
You could argue Reilly was just as big a contributor on that Tavares goal. He took The Reddest Radish to the net and ultimately gave him a little more space.
I just thought Reilly was great start to finish in that series

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is not about Tavares, or Marner, or Reilly, or Sammy, or anyone else in particular.

I think we are all familiar with the "three stars of the game" results in a 1-0 game:

First star - player who scored
Second star - winning goalie
Third star - losing goalie.

It's trite, it may have no bearing on the actual performances of any of the three or anyone else on either team, but it is virtually always the result.

Even if the goal bounces in off the player's butt after a spectacular end-to-end rush by another player, he's just about guaranteed to get 1st star.

Unless the losing goalie faces at least three times the shots the winner faces, he's relegated to 3rd.

The more goals scored the less stringent the rules, but you can usually name the three stars without having watched a minute of the game, based on the scoring summary.

I think the same applies to a series: the MVP isn't necessarily the winning goalie, or the player who scored the winning goal in the last game, or the player with the most goals or points (or hits or blocked shots, or %xgf).

I'm not criticizing anyone's choice, or trying to justify mine, just saying that I don't think, as a rule, it's as easy as it appears.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Me. I'm NOT drinking during the playoffs. I have all the other years and we lost. Looks like I'm on to something. GO LEAFS GO!!!! Bourbon In June!!!!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Lots of good choices, but I went with Matthews.

Game 3 - great skill play, amazing tip - probably the least important of his goals in terms of game situation, but every goal is important in a one goal game

Game 4 - scores twice to get the comeback going

Game 5 - Leafs couldn't finish the comeback this time, but he got them halfway there.

Game 6 - in a game with a game 7 feel, gets the Leafs the first goal (for once)

Big goals game after game - that's putting the team on your back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad