Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Ryan O'Rielly

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Still Matthews for me (with acceptance of Rielly taking it though).

The reason why it's "not even close" towards Matthews is because you can literally not get what he just provided anywhere else.

Game 6 throws down 4 blocks with most of them key. Throwing his body around all series with selke level defence.

And our most favorite: Goals.

Most of us were convinced round 2 is happening after he opened the scoring yesterday. Rielly had the best "moments" but Matthews carried us and allowed the comebacks so to speak (shout out to Ilya too). Just wasn't as exciting as Riellys big moments.

But I mean Rielly was a beast too so I'm not arguing about this. It makes sense the only options are Rielly or Matthews with everyone else being honorable mentions.

We have HEROs now!

Not a hero … We have multiple HEROS

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Rielly easily. Guy was a complete horse the whole series. 7.5 on the cap and he plays almost half the game. He was amazing last night

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

nuttica

Nov 30, 2012
As great as Rielly was, this team doesn’t win without Samsonov after Game 1.
Indeed.. the leafs wouldn’t have won it if he didn’t outplay against the best goalie in the NHL. Has the clutch genes.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The best answer, is that there wasn’t just one. That might be the reason we win a very tough series.

You have to live the efforts of:
Matthews -I think I’m most proud of him and happy for.

Sammy. Stole a game early in the series and was a rock in game 6.

Mo - not sure where this play was all year? I was his biggest critic. He’s shut me up. Big leadership shown.

Luuuuke - plays tough. Calms everyone down

Accairi. Hit everything, plays tough and chips in with goals.

ROR - clutch goals and plays so well in rough times.

McCabe - was a stud.

Mitch and Willie had a quiet series, but with still huge points and contributions.

Knies - Come on. He fits right in. On the ice for every key goal

Kerf - Huuuuuge goal.

Was a special couple of weeks.

Reactions: Kelly

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Based on expectations, Rielly is probably the answer as he was getting dogpiled pretty hard during the regular season.

For the series:

Marner 5v5:

Shot differential: 55.28% (+12.50)
High Danger differential: 61.79% (+19.12)
xGF%: 63.01% (+21.28)
Goal differential: 88.90% (+58.62)

Taken before last nights game:

Not enough Marner love by far.

Rielly/Samsonov/Matthews solid picks as well and was tempted to pick Tavares as he got the series winner plus a hattrick in game 2 despite an up and down series. Someone throw that man a bone.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
When you think about it, we finally have the two Dmen that we drafted who were supposed to lead us to the promised land, but never quite lived up to their promise and now it seems that they are.

2 votes for Mitch, really? He's been the guy moving the offense most of the time, assists ladies and gents are just as important as goals, and the way MM creates those assists
means there would be no goals there otherwise.

Sammy has been better than good most nights, in fact a lot better. I'd say he outright stole 2 of the 4 wins and was generally better than the "best goalie in the world" at the other end of the rink this series!

Matthews undoubtedly had some great shifts, but I wouldn't say he had any truly great games or a dominant series. I love the goals and want to see more of the way he scored the1st goal last night where he wills the offense forward, where he refuses to be denied and pulls the team along with him. The tip ins are great and I'll take them, but only that 1st goal last night was true MVP stuff.

No votes for JT, I seriously think some of you cannot let go of the weird resentment you feel over his contract.

He was winning board battles, winning races, drawing out cycles and getting them turned into goal scoring opportunities.

He had a hat trick in game 2. Which was the first in a very long time in the playoffs for a Leaf, and not one of the three was a gimme, all of them were hard work goals. He forced the series clinching winner into the back of net with hard work in OT no less. A goal which was as great or greater than that Matthews shift to open the scoring and still not one vote for our Captain. Unreal?

Reactions: studebaker17

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I gotta give it to Mo on several grounds:

- He outplayed his Tampa counterpart- who is a future first ballot Hall of Famer with a Conn Smythe.

- He was monstrously clutch - an OT winner, an assist on a series clinching OT winner and the tying goal in a huge comeback.

- And finally, there’s just no case against him unlike with some of the others. I’m not saying you’re wrong for voting Matthews, Sammy or Mitch but they weren’t perfect; Matthews was quiet until game three. Mitch was quiet 5-6 and Sammy did allow a couple of bad ones - Assmont’s go-ahead last game springs immediately to mind.

Willy was a ghost in these last two games, playing like a real Hagel with his perimeter hockey, clincher aside JT didn’t really do anything since game two and the rest of the guys were bit players in this series.

1. Mo
2. Matthews
3. Sammy
4. RoR
5. Mitch, 5a. JT
6. Knies
7. Acciari
8. Willy
9. Schenner, 9a. McCabe
10. Brodie, 10a. Kerfoot

As of today he’s in Conn Smythe talks with Draisaitl and Oettinger - and we can add Fox, Tkachuk, Hall and Schmid (lolwut?) if their teams advance.

If Tampa advanced they’d have…Cirelli and Killorn - all of those guys I listed are several lengths ahead.

Only a few guys had ‘bad’ series (ZAR, Lafferty, Kampf and Gio). Holl was historically bad, Gardiner bad, and should never see the ice again unless the D gets decimated.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sammy for me.
Reilly, AM, MM and ROR are close second.
Willie, JT, McCabe, Schenn, TJ, Acciari and Knies

Notice how half the team could be argue as best player and that’s depth and the team doing it as a team.

You take away those hits that Acciari, Schenn and McCabe had in the series, TB players might be fresher and willing to drive to the net more.

You take away that Knies play at the goal line, there won’t be any come back for the boys in that game.

You take away ROR in Game 3 and we lose that game.

TJ making that pass which led to AM’s goal in Game 4, without it there probably won’t be a come back.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Based on expectations, Rielly is probably the answer as he was getting dogpiled pretty hard during the regular season.

For the series:

Marner 5v5:

Shot differential: 55.28% (+12.50)
High Danger differential: 61.79% (+19.12)
xGF%: 63.01% (+21.28)
Goal differential: 88.90% (+58.62)

Taken before last nights game:

Not enough Marner love by far.

Rielly/Samsonov/Matthews solid picks as well and was tempted to pick Tavares as he got the series winner plus a hattrick in game 2 despite an up and down series. Someone throw that man a bone.

I don’t think people think MM didn’t play well but more to do with others thinking AM, Reilly and Sammy played better.

Personally, we wouldn’t win without Sammy.

Reactions: Zybalto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I don’t think people think MM didn’t play well but more to do with others thinking AM, Reilly and Sammy played better.

Personally, we wouldn’t win without Sammy.

Yea, having all the big boys show up was good but, like I've been saying forever, we needed a goalie who would actually be the better goalie in crunch time and we got it for the first time since Belfour and thats a hard case to argue against.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner, Matthews, and Rielly all have a case. All 3 were complete beasts this series.

I'd probably go with Marner.
Series-leading 11 points in 6 games. Most 5v5 points. Most PP points. Points in 5 out of 6 games, and was still on the ice for every goal in the game he didn't get any.
Series-leading 63.95 xGF% at 5v5, while facing top-tier matchups. Series-leading 88.89 GF% at 5v5, outscoring his opposition 8-1.
Elite offense. Elite defense. Elite penalty killing, with Toronto killing 12 of 13 after game 1.
Simply amazing.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I am voting Mo Mo Mo Morgan Rielly simply because the delta from regular season Mo to round 1 Mo was the largest out of anyone on our squad. He show up every game, in critical moments, and played like the true #1 we needed him to be.

A confident Mo is such an asset. He looked outstanding start to finish

Reactions: Sypher04 and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All hail da new KING .. SAMMY .. gents we don't make round 2 without a $$$ tender .. pay da man Dubie .. he earned it .. of course Rielly was best player BUT MVP to me is guy who carried us in game 6 to victory

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I absolutely love Schenn back on this team. He’s not Muzzin, but having him back just makes me happy.

I know Schenn has THE PASSION and he did exactly what he was brought in to do

Fingers crossed that we can re-sign him this summer.

Reactions: Strangle

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Samsonov for sure.
He held the fort while we were outplayed at points and gave us the chance to win 3 OT games.
Remember 93 when Montreal won the record 10 OT games? We just pulled 3 in 1 series so far. Destiny.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Went Rielly, he played at a very high level al series, and had some massive, super clutch plays.

Strong arguments for Matthews, Marner and Sammy, those 3 absolutely in the convo. ROR, JT and Willie had great series too, and loved the steady play and physicality from Schenn, McCabe and Acciari too, though I don’t think any of those 6 were truly in the MVP convo.

Overall it was a team effort, strong contributions all over the place. No carry job here. But if I had to pick one series MVP, Rielly by a hair over Matthews/Marner/Sammy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All these votes for Samsonov really just highlights how starved this fanbase is for any ounce of clutch goaltending.

Overall, Samsonov wasn't great. -0.9 GSAx and 0.900 SV% on the series. He shouldn't be anywhere near an MVP vote, even with the importance that goaltending holds. He was sloppy and scrambling at times, gave out some big rebounds, and was part of the reason we needed comebacks in the first place. BUT he was also able to close the door and shut it down in necessary or critical moments, which is an attribute that we have never really had in our goalies with this core. I think people are finally realizing how important that is in a playoff series.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
All these votes for Samsonov really just highlights how starved this fanbase is for any ounce of clutch goaltending.

Overall, Samsonov wasn't great. -0.9 GSAx and 0.900 SV% on the series. He shouldn't be anywhere near an MVP vote, even with the importance that goaltending holds. He was sloppy and scrambling at times, gave out some big rebounds, and was part of the reason we needed comebacks in the first place. BUT he was also able to close the door and shut it down in necessary or critical moments, which is an attribute that we have never really had in our goalies with this core. I think people are finally realizing how important that is in a playoff series.

context means everything

remove that horrendous first game where everyone played like garbage and hes at a .920sv% ...
hes also got a .962% in 3rd + OT periods. ... thats pretty much the definition of clutch goaltending.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
context means everything
remove that horrendous first game where everyone played like garbage and hes at a .920sv% ...
hes also got a .962% in 3rd + OT periods. ... thats pretty much the definition of clutch goaltending.
I agree, he was very clutch and that's incredibly important in the playoffs. And yes, he had a +2.1 GSAx when you take out his bad first game, which isn't bad.
That said, he was closer to what you'd get out of your average winning playoff goalie than some crazy steal of the series. And we have players who dominated the whole series.
But when you haven't had clutch goaltending for decades in the playoffs (and have largely had the opposite), it's so noticeable when you finally get it.

Reactions: kb

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
A few guys definitely in this discussion. Hypothetically if we were to say extrapolate each player’s play linearly from round 1 out through 4 rounds, who would I give the Conn Smythe to, I’d probably say Rielly. Mitch and Auston right there though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad