Pre-Game Talk: Round 1 : Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Quick question. If the 1st line gets neutralized, what happens? IMO, that's what the series is riding on. The play of the 1st line.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If Bishop plays there's no way he'll be 100%. This is a golden opportunity. His glove arm will be weak he might be sluggish if he also has that nagging leg injury. We gotta get him moving and tire him out and work his glove.

As for scoring, even with Galch out we have so much freaking depth its wonderful. I'm very confident if we can shut down Stammer.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
In the end, the Montreal will go as far as Carey Price will take them. The Habs have enough offense to win if Carey is up to the task.

It hard to believe, but Price is a grizzled vet at the tender age of 26. Only Markov, Gorges, and Plekanec have longer tenures with the Habs.

I look for Subban to come up big in this series, along with Pacioretty and Vanek. A surprise contributor? I'm thinking we might see a different Lars Eller when the stakes are bigger. He was probably Montreal's best player in last years playoff series against Ottawa.

GO HABS!!!

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
If Bishop plays there's no way he'll be 100%. This is a golden opportunity. His glove arm will be weak he might be sluggish if he also has that nagging leg injury. We gotta get him moving and tire him out and work his glove.

As for scoring, even with Galch out we have so much freaking depth its wonderful. I'm very confident if we can shut down Stammer.

I wouldn't count on anything. Remember the performance of a rookie goaltender named Cam Ward in the 2006 playoffs?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'll say Tampa in 6. They remind me too much of the Sens from last year. Hard working, great system, star player. Yeah we have Vanek, that line is really clicking, but it seems we are starting to rely too much on them.
Just like Ottawa they have big defenseman with long sticks. I agree it's gonna be very hard for habs forwards. Tampa is definitely underrated on this board. They are good a shutting down big lines, they've done it all year long. They are also a very good fore checking team. Problem for Habs is who is gonna pick-up the slack if our 1st line gets shut down? I think this will go 6 or 7.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
In the end, the Montreal will go as far as Carey Price will take them. The Habs have enough offense to win if Carey is up to the task.

It hard to believe, but Price is a grizzled vet at the tender age of 26. Only Markov, Gorges, and Plekanec have longer tenures with the Habs.

I look for Subban to come up big in this series, along with Pacioretty and Vanek. A surprise contributor? I'm thinking we might see a different Lars Eller when the stakes are bigger. He was probably Montreal's best player in last years playoff series against Ottawa.

GO HABS!!!

You mean Rene Bourque ? Eller got injured in the first game...

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I got tickets for game 7, so perfect scenario: Habs in 7 (without ever trailing in the series), but I could put aside personnal interest (and buy 2nd round tix lol) and live with a quick 4-5 games win by Montreal, keeping them fresh for the long run!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Quick question. If the 1st line gets neutralized, what happens? IMO, that's what the series is riding on. The play of the 1st line.

Actually, it's always about depth. The 1st lines of each team always gets special attention, so it's common for them to be shutdown. That's why depth is so key. Your 2nd and 3rd lines become a lot more important. If you can have a great PO 4th line, you're in a much better position.
Take Boston when they won the cup. Plek completely neutralized their 1st line. Really, Plek's line outscored Krejci's 17-6.
Came down to Boston's 2nd and 3rd lines outshining ours. Still took 3 OT and 7 games for them to beat us, but depth is what it's all about.

TB can shutdown our top line, so long that we do the same with theirs. Then it will be a battle between the bottom lines, and I believe we have the upper hand.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just like Ottawa they have big defenseman with long sticks. I agree it's gonna be very hard for habs forwards. Tampa is definitely underrated on this board. They are good a shutting down big lines, they've done it all year long. They are also a very good fore checking team. Problem for Habs is who is gonna pick-up the slack if our 1st line gets shut down? I think this will go 6 or 7.

Like they were discussing on AC after the Hawks game last night, MT will obviously go with Murray for the experience, but I prefer Beaulieu for the mobility and puck movement. Those Tampa forwards might dominate the Habs slow defence.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007

Shutting down the 1st lines will be the #1 task for both teams.

While DD's line have been on the ice for 52% of the Habs goal in the last 10 games (17/33), Stamkos' line were responsible for 69% of the Lightning's goal production in their last 10 games (18/26).

It actually seems like Tampa is more dependant on their 1st line than we are (small sample, I know...)

Plekanec has proven in the past he's got the capacity to shut down the best players in the NHL. Can Filppula-Callahan be as effective?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hearing Bishop will be out for 3 weeks. Unless this goes 7 games and even if, doubtful he plays this series. Classified as an elbow injury which will not be easy to lay with even when he does come back. A lot of weight in that little hinge.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
One thing is sure, I want us to win and the Red Wings to upset Boston so we can see a Habs-Wings series in the 2nd round. That would be some amazing hockey.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I think we'll win. We have more depth and that should come through, especially if we shut down Stamkos (which is easier said than done, but we shut down Ovie in his prime & Crosby and Malkin). I would love to see us win in a short series for once, but I say Habs in 6. Even if they have Bishop I think we will win.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Maybe there's more updated and specific info out there but the TB beat writer wrote this:

Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO · Il y a 18 h
Gut feeling, I'd be surprised if he plays RT @theicchamp11: You think he'll be out of the 1st round? Yes or No.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
For Bishop's type of injury:

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes · 19 h
Ben Bishop's agent says his client has an elbow injury. Agent said he has no other details.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I felt bad for the Lightnings with the Bishop injury until Galchenyuk went down... Just a reality of the playoffs...

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
any news on the schedule?

+1

First game is Tues? Wedns? Thurs?

(or we have to wait for Sunday for the official schedule?! don't have the patience!!;)).

p.s.: no St-Louis, no Lecavalier, maybe no Bishop...we have no excuses (even with maybe Galchy, Prust, and maybe Moen out..... our top 5 Ds are there, our #1 goalie is there, our top 6 forwards are there...no excuses...gotta get the job done...gotta....... time for Price to shine...and Subban is a playoffs' warrior).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad