GDT: Round 1 Game 5: Bs @ Caps | 5/23/2021 | 7:00p EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Oh and I forgot to add to my previous post. If Kuzy doesn't change next season, they should trade him the next deadline

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Meanwhile no one is criticizing the mighty Laviolette. Yeah what a difference that guy made.
He''s just another Torts, all bluff and bluster but can't produce the results.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’m in Scottsdale on a golf vacation and missed 4 and 5. Wonder if I’ll see any of the guys on the course tmro. Seems like they were just as desperate as I was to hit the links.

Reactions: troyerlaw

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I love Backy, but let's be honest for the most part of his career he underperformed in the playoffs or absolutely sucked..

Backstrom is the greatest sacred cow this team had ever had. It was literally him and him alone who cost us the series against Carolina in 2019. As skilled a player as he is, his physical conditioning just plain sucks. He's the Phil Kessel of the Caps, a guy who thinks a balanced diet is a Big Mac in either hand.

But will the Caps brass and fans criticize him? No. He's too nice a guy! "Nicky", "Backy", he's just a fella you'd like to bring home to momma!

Enough is enough. He's finished. Trade him for whatever you can get for him.

Sep 19, 2008
Lmao we really gonna go down the Barry path again now too? Jesus people there’s probably thousands of thread pages going over that situation at this point. It wasn’t going to work out with Barry here. Just let it go.
My curiosity is whether anyone from Hershey is ready

I really don't like how old this team is

Bunch of seniors on the ice being out hustled it makes me sick.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Backstrom is the greatest sacred cow this team had ever had. It was literally him and him alone who cost us the series against Carolina in 2019. As skilled a player as he is, his physical conditioning just plain sucks. He's the Phil Kessel of the Caps, a guy who thinks a balanced diet is a Big Mac in either hand.

But will the Caps brass and fans criticize him? No. He's too nice a guy! "Nicky", "Backy", he's just a fella you'd like to bring home to momma!

Enough is enough. He's finished. Trade him for whatever you can get for him.

I know what you are saying but you know it probably won't happen. As I said him and Ovy are untouchables especially the guy signed a contract just last year. In the ideal world, trading him and Kuzy for Eichel, will be a dream come true. Eichel & McMichael in the middle, ideal top 2 young centers IMO. And we won't need to wait for a long rebuild, there will be a chance to chase for a final cup in this scenario. Ideally with Number 1 defenseman too. Orly was our best defenseman this season IMO

Reactions: Peeri and sycamore

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This board is obsessed with ex-Caps that were on the 2018 team. Trotz, Vrana and Burakovsky are gone, get over it already

Holts, Connoly, Nisky, Beags and DSP too. Beyond anything else, those guys had fight in them. Now we just have a bunch of punch-in punch-out guys like Hagelin and Hathaway. So yeah, people are going to miss those guys, for good reason.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Meanwhile no one is criticizing the mighty Laviolette. Yeah what a difference that guy made.
He''s just another Torts, all bluff and bluster but can't produce the results.
I blame him for not challenging the game-tying goal aftr McAvoy goalie interference. And for not dressing Black Aces after the disgraceful effort from team in Game 3 OT and onward. And for never blowing his stack like he used to in the old days

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Holts, Connoly, Nisky, Beags and DSP too. Beyond anything else, those guys had fight in them. Now we just have a bunch of punch-in punch-out guys like Hagelin and Hathaway. So yeah, people are going to miss those guys, for good reason.

I think Dowd replaced Beags perfectly. Our 4th line was the best line for majority of these series. I would take Hagelin over Connoly too, I think you are wrong there. You can see the guy cares, with the rest I agree.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Still catching up on posts ... but I have a "sell high" philosophy. Especially on players whose recent performance makes them overvalued compared to their true worth. This team should've traded Kolzig after his 'Vezina' season, Holtby too after the Cup. But the Caps had invested in making those guys part of their brand. These days, Ovie certainly is that, Oshie too, Nicky and JC to lesser degrees. But even tho' their careers are heading downhill, they should fetch good returns (picks & prospects) in deals with the right partners. Not saying any of them should be moved, but that doing so would be a viable option if the goal is to ice a competitive team a few years from now. Eventually, fans buy tickets to see competitive teams. But if (and this is what I believe) ownership is focused on squeezing fans' dollars today w/o much regard to the quality of tomorrow's on-ice product, then all those 'names' will still be in the reverse retro back to the 70s gee wasn't it great jerseys for many years to come.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If I had my way we would have all players like Wilson.
Btw I wasn't the one that decided to part ways with Burakovsky and Vrana. But anyone that knows anything about hockey could see that they werent playing within the system.
It was better for the team and both players that they be moved to another team.

Me too, but we can only dream.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Lol I don't live in Winnipeg. And I was smart enough to not have kids.
The bad thing is that you probably really believe that we live in igloos.

So it's a Quinzhee? I've made a few of those and spent the night camping in them. Not bad shelters, lol. Oh, and I'm only joking about you living in one.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Still catching up on posts ... but I have a "sell high" philosophy. Especially on players whose recent performance makes them overvalued compared to their true worth. This team should've traded Kolzig after his 'Vezina' season, Holtby too after the Cup. But the Caps had invested in making those guys part of their brand. These days, Ovie certainly is that, Oshie too, Nicky and JC to lesser degrees. But even tho' their careers are heading downhill, they should fetch good returns (picks & prospects) in deals with the right partners. Not saying any of them should be moved, but that doing so would be a viable option if the goal is to ice a competitive team a few years from now. Eventually, fans buy tickets to see competitive teams. But if (and this is what I believe) ownership is focused on squeezing fans' dollars today w/o much regard to the quality of tomorrow's on-ice product, then all those 'names' will still be in the reverse retro back to the 70s gee wasn't it great jerseys for many years to come.
Exactly, there will always be teams ready to overpay for high profile free agents. Holtby was an example, Beagle and Alzner too, and a few years back, Florida overpaying for Hawks' Dave Bolland. And there are teams which overpay for TDL acquisitions (Erat certainly, Mantha likely). In general, you don't want to be one of those teams. If there's a decent return available for Kuz this season, by all means ship him. He doesn't have the necessary work ethic or discipline, and my guess is, it's not good for the lockerroom.
I want Ovie to retire as a Cap if possible. But man am I unexcited about paying him $12 million per, for this stage of his career. Oh well. We'll see

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
Exactly, there will always be teams ready to overpay for high profile free agents. Holtby was an example, Beagle and Alzner too, and a few years back, Florida overpaying for Hawks' Dave Bolland. And there are teams which overpay for TDL acquisitions (Erat certainly, Mantha likely). In general, you don't want to be one of those teams. If there's a decent return available for Kuz this season, by all means ship him. He doesn't have the necessary work ethic or discipline, and my guess is, it's not good for the lockerroom.
I want Ovie to retire as a Cap if possible. But man am I unexcited about paying him $12 million per, for this stage of his career. Oh well. We'll see

If you're paying Ov 12 million to be a reminder of days gone by while chasing the goals record might as well keep Kuznetsov around to keep him happy.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I don"t know what is more painful. To watch some Caps games or to read some takes on that board.

At least with this elimination this board will be cleaned from some "fans" that only show up for the playoffs

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
This was an embarassing series. The Bruins deserved to win, easily. If the injuries are serious i get it otherwise it's time for a rebuild.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Knew I said I wouldn’t be sad but I’m pretty sad. Going on a deep run with Chara would have been cool af. Kuznetsov for Kadri? No thanks, everyone already hates us enough as it is lol. Kind of wouldn’t be surprised if Lavi gets canned, he was severely out coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad