Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Isles) 2015 Playoffs

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I want it to be 5 but I don't think the Isles go down that easily. As I've said I think game 6 at Nassau is a loss, so hoping the Caps can exorcise some demons with a game 7 win at home vs Halak to boot.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I want it to be 5 but I don't think the Isles go down that easily. As I've said I think game 6 at Nassau is a loss, so hoping the Caps can exorcise some demons with a game 7 win at home vs Halak to boot.

Underscores the importance of maintaining home ice advantage. Win every home game. Give them no hope as they head home. 2-0 sucks.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
already feeling the playoffs. seeing my way straight to the....you know what. the 3 game to one lead. win the two at home. lose the nooner. win g4. set up for winning in 5. lose g5 and you lose g6 on the road. then the g7 at home where we prove trotz and orpik. are no different.

so....I am going with 4 or 5 because they lose in 6 or 7

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Man I'd love a sweep but I don't think it's realistic unless the team that occasionally shows up to dominate games permanently show sup for the playoffs.

I'm saying Caps in 5 though! Feel like they'll steal one in DC and we'll have to go back home to finish them off.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Plan on 7 games. Always. Then flip a coin for 7 and help the GD refs aren't in the way in deciding the winner.

Again.

Oh and this

The memory of Brooks Orpik, the low-scoring Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman, eliminating the New York Islanders from the Stanley Cup Playoffs with an overtime goal at Nassau Coliseum in the spring of 2013 haunts John Tavares.

Is Fenwick a respected stat? I found this blurb at their board fishing for info on Grabo
101 points. Top score-adjusted fenwick team in the league.

Just like the cup winning Kings and Hawks of the past few seasons

I assume that is accurate

Last edited:

Slappy

May 29, 2007
The Caps didn't seem to have many long win streaks this year. I think their longest was what, 4?

I still think they'll win the series but probably in 6 or 7.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Caps in 5 or 6. I think they wear the Isles out with the heavy hitting.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's a not as good version of Corsi

Mr Google told me:

In general, Fenwick is usually regarded as a better indicator over a longer period of time. Corsi is a better indicator over a shorter period of time.

It would not surprise me at all to see Grabo in this series. He has been in a full contact jersey. Yes he leads their forwards in CF and FF.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
the isles have been fairly terrible for a while ... so i voted Caps in 4 as in Trotz i trust

however in saying that, say we had 6 tough games

I really don't expect the Pens to put up any resistance at all to the Rags ... maybe the Rags could start round 2 soft versus a hardened but hopefully not injured Caps

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd say Caps in 6 or 7. Voted 6. The Isles are a very good team, but they've had some issues lately.
The key of this series is Holtby. If he plays like he has in the regular season, he will make things a lot easier.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Playoffs always seem to come down to a few things:

1) Unheralded bottom 6 player getting hot (Druce, Pasani, Bergenheim etc)
2) Goalie getting hot (Halak..ugghh)
3) The more physical team

It becomes a war of attrition. One reason why the Kings were so successful is that they are geared to long games and series as their size and physical play simply wears down and opponenet.

Several games in a row. Usually a couple OTs or double OTs. Same team just hitting and hitting you.

The smaller team simply gets worn down.

Isles are physical. But they have an unbalanced physicality to them in that their 4th line carries that aspect of the game and they don't have much in the top 9.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I see the fish sticks called up a plug on D in case Harmoic can't go.

If he does go or doesn't, regardless, I want either one targeted. The offside one, the injured one, the turnover prone one, the inexperienced one.

Fire 1: Ovi
Fire 2: Wilson

Repeat. The other forwards in our lineup don't really hit much. Maybe BrouwerPlay Laich or Chimera will get a few hits in but I am not counting on anything to pierce armor.

Let's get those opening salvo's in early and set the tone for the entire series.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

If he does go or doesn't, regardless, I want either one targeted. The offside one, the injured one, the turnover prone one, the inexperienced one.

Repeat. The other forwards in our lineup don't really hit much. Maybe BrouwerPlay Laich or Chimera will get a few hits in but I am not counting on anything to pierce armor.

Let's get those opening salvo's in early and set the tone for the entire series.
After years of watching the same thing happen to Caps defensemen, it would awesome to finally see the shoe on the other foot.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Really? I see it different. Brouwer DEFINITELY does.

I've seen MJ and Ward and the rest diligently finish their checks much more than they have in the past. Chimera, Laich, Latta and Beagle definitely do as well.

Heck I've seen Kuz finish off guys too. I think the whole team is doing this.

But yes Ovie and Wilson lead the charge.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Addressing this despite it being slightly OT, and then getting back on topic:

Our ongoing threads tend to catch most subjects we go over. New threads are OK if they break new ground or are big enough stories on their own (firings, signings, etc).

"What do you guys think of X player" is going to always be merged with an existing thread if there is one because they can become redundant clutter. Too many threads with overlapping subjects creates cross-posting and leads to people talking past each other or missing information, which causes confusion and disputes.

Look at other boards for ideas if you want new threads. It's up to the users to expand on and create most of the content here. If you all can come up with good ideas for threads that draw in new posters, even better. That would also require an environment where newbies and visitors who aren't breaking any rules are welcomed and educated instead of immediately flamed. Not that anyone here would ever do that.:sarcasm:

Well said. It would be welcoming to have a sticky "introduce yourself" thread. I believe one was started a few months ago. We'll probably get lurkers speaking up for the first time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
who are the forwards that don't hit as a general part of their game?

Latta, Beagle, Chimera, Laich all hit. They don't hit like Ov or Wilson be they are big and finish. Fehr and Ward don't hit but they are both a load and when they are leaning on defensemen in board battles which they engage in as a staple of their game, they wear the opposition down. Brouwer hits. Backstrom I think leads the team in boarding penalties. that doesn't suggest he withdraws from contact.

MJ is a speed player, but he absolutely destroyed McQuad the other day. Players that don't hit don't do that.

To say that Ov and Wilson are the only forwards that hit says the Caps are soft.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Really? I see it different. Brouwer DEFINITELY does.

I've seen MJ and Ward and the rest diligently finish their checks much more than they have in the past. Chimera, Laich, Latta and Beagle definitely do as well.

Heck I've seen Kuz finish off guys too. I think the whole team is doing this.

But yes Ovie and Wilson lead the charge.

Piercing Armor?

I mostly see the others "taking the body". We do play heavy, but none heavier than those 2.

I am talking proper highlight tube worthy hits. Like the one hit a year from Green we get type.

Speaking of which, I would like to see Carlson and Alzner live a little bit more outside of their comfort zones, and follow the leads of the vet mentors in Orpy Nisky and GleeGlee bringing a little thunder. I don't expect anything physical from Green and that is fine. I want him off the radar trying to survive physically, and sneaking in and racking up points.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
who are the forwards that don't hit as a general part of their game?

A part of their regular season game? Easy.

Fehr Kuz MJ Nick Ward Beagle Alzner Carlson and Green. The ice cheetah with his size and speed could be crushing guys. He largely does not, of course.

Will they hit the switch? Sure many will, but they need to for more than that first game. Most from that list will fizzle out after game 1.

Only recently has Laich resorted to hitting. It used to be, a guy in a scoring slump wouldn't wait a few years to start contributing in other ways, but he finally got on board.

Fehr is interesting one. He is big and scrappy but dare I think the shoulder is out of whack again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad