Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Hey guys, I'd be the 1st to admit that I don't follow our prospects like you guys do. Wasn't a college guy myself (actually 1 year) don't really know the levels and choices these kids have, etc. Anyway, sorry for interrupting here.
My question. Perreault is a RW, right? Rangers need that, right?
How long do you think it'll take for him to get there? I mean, he doesn't "have to" finish College, right? Hey, education is most important, but.....if he's only there for the purpose of hockey......
So, again.....? Thanks, LarryBiv
Many will disagree with me, but I don't think the kid is physically ready for pro hockey. The skill level is there. He'd instantly be one of the more skilled players on our roster. But he still has a kid's frame. BC's page has him listed at 5'11" and 165 lbs.

I think he's spent most of his time at RW, but it's really not an issue to switch sides, if needed.

I'm sure the Rangers will put on the full court press to sign him, but I'd like to see him go back to college for another year. The college schedule is lighter than an AHL schedule, which allows more time in the weight room physically developing. He'll also be in line for a more critical role if Leonard and Smith move on, and I'd like to see how he handles the change and uses it to grow as a player.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
An offseason can do wonders for a kid that age. He'd be able to handle Hartford next year if that's where they wanted to start him and he decides he wants to go pro. I think he'd probably benefit from a whole year there like Othmann but still he could do it.

Side note, my best friend played football at BC. Awesome school, facilities are amazing. Great place for a kid that age to spend time especially being great at sports.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes, he's a RW, though he can play either wing.

The general consensus is that he'll play 1 more year at BC, then go pro, but that could change depending on what Smith and Leonard do. Gauthier is expected to leave. If Smith and Leonard leave, that could change Gabe's decision. BC has some good players coming in, notably James Hagens, who could be the 1st overall pick in 2025, so that could factor into his decision as well.

Also, how they do in the NCAA tournament this year could impact all of their decisions. If they don't win it this year, all of Smith, Leonard and Perreault might decide to stay another year and try to win a championship. If they do win, maybe none of them go back.

I expect that if he returns to BC next year, that will be it for him, and he'll sign with the Rangers immediately following the season.
I also think that how they fare in the National tournament will be the most determining factor for all three decisions to stay or to go. Sharks need to put fannies in the seats, Caps are rebuilding on the fly and need talent influx to support Ovechkin’s quest (and they seem to be doing it pretty well under the circumstances) and the Rangers always want their prospects in the fold sooner.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
id like GP to go back to college after winning the natty this year. have BC get eliminated early next year and we sign him to a pro contract with enough time for him to play in hartford.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think Gauthier and Smith are gone pretty much no matter what happens.

Leonard probably closer to 50/50.

I hope GP goes back. I think spending a season with different linemates at the NCAA level, plus another year of physical development, would be good for him.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I also think that how they fare in the National tournament will be the most determining factor for all three decisions to stay or to go. Sharks need to put fannies in the seats, Caps are rebuilding on the fly and need talent influx to support Ovechkin’s quest (and they seem to be doing it pretty well under the circumstances) and the Rangers always want their prospects in the fold sooner.
Im fairly certain even if they win, perreault will stay.
I don’t see him wanting to spend too much time in the ahl, and his body at the moment wouldn’t be ready for the playoffs, so there’s no extra incentive to join, and it’s not like his family is hurting for money.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The NHL while still somewhat physical, is no longer that league that should scare off smaller players.

I'd have no issue with Gabe suiting up next year if that was what he chose to do.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Gauthier and Smith are gone pretty much no matter what happens.

Leonard probably closer to 50/50.

I hope GP goes back. I think spending a season with different linemates at the NCAA level, plus another year of physical development, would be good for him.

I think Smith leaving would be a massive mistake on his end and San Jose's.

I wouldn't fault him for wanting to get that UFA clock ticking ASAP (and he'd have leverage to burn a ELC year this season by getting into a game or 5) but he is not going to be afforded all of the space he's getting at that level in the NHL, especially with San Jose.

Gauthier is 100000% gone and will be a Duck next year. Leonard should probably go too.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Many will disagree with me, but I don't think the kid is physically ready for pro hockey. The skill level is there. He'd instantly be one of the more skilled players on our roster. But he still has a kid's frame. BC's page has him listed at 5'11" and 165 lbs.

I think he's spent most of his time at RW, but it's really not an issue to switch sides, if needed.

I'm sure the Rangers will put on the full court press to sign him, but I'd like to see him go back to college for another year. The college schedule is lighter than an AHL schedule, which allows more time in the weight room physically developing. He'll also be in line for a more critical role if Leonard and Smith move on, and I'd like to see how he handles the change and uses it to grow as a player.
I’m not sure anyone disagrees with you. This is the consensus.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think Smith leaving would be a massive mistake on his end and San Jose's.

I wouldn't fault him for wanting to get that UFA clock ticking ASAP (and he'd have leverage to burn a ELC year this season by getting into a game or 5) but he is not going to be afforded all of the space he's getting at that level in the NHL, especially with San Jose.

Gauthier is 100000% gone and will be a Duck next year. Leonard should probably go too.

I don't really disagree with you.

But the Sharks are gonna want some excitement for the fanbase after this season and the Hertl deal. 4th OA pick. On paper proved about all he could at the NCAA level (agree w you there are things to work on). I just don't see him coming back for another year.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
the smith thing isn't gonna happen, but othmann+draft capital for a young C with upside is absolutely something we should do.

I know drafting for need is bogus, but we really need to find the C of the future if Chytil isn't gonna be able to contribute.

Reactions: mas0764

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
the smith thing isn't gonna happen, but othmann+draft capital for a young C with upside is absolutely something we should do.

I know drafting for need is bogus, but we really need to find the C of the future if Chytil isn't gonna be able to contribute.
sure but Trocheck and Mika right now aren’t hampering us a ton at the top, and both have years, so we can slow play it.
grabbing smith would be tough because they’d be on the wing, or they’d be 3rd line and we don’t need to repeat the rangers can’t develop forwards narrative.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
sure but Trocheck and Mika right now aren’t hampering us a ton at the top, and both have years, so we can slow play it.
grabbing smith would be tough because they’d be on the wing, or they’d be 3rd line and we don’t need to repeat the rangers can’t develop forwards narrative.
grabbing smith is tough because he's their top prospect, arguably a top 5 prospect in the sport, and sharks are drooling over smith/eklund/musty/edstrom along with celebrini or one of the big D in this draft.

you're just not getting him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For me with Perreault if he's turning pro to play in Hartford we're taking him out of college too early. His hockey IQ is just too advanced to be wasting his time in the AHL. He'd be better off in BC---getting the college experience for his own good rather than riding busses. I also think when he signs he's going straight to the big team and within a year or so I'd expect him to be a top 6 player. His closest comparables of the current Rangers are Fox and Panarin and it's because of his head and his hands. He's just too smart for the minor leagues.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
grabbing smith is tough because he's their top prospect, arguably a top 5 prospect in the sport, and sharks are drooling over smith/eklund/musty/edstrom along with celebrini or one of the big D in this draft.

you're just not getting him.
Sure, I was making a bigger point outside of smith, he doesn’t fit our timelines.
A low first rd center who is a bit more slow to develop is the better plan.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Hey guys, I'd be the 1st to admit that I don't follow our prospects like you guys do. Wasn't a college guy myself (actually 1 year) don't really know the levels and choices these kids have, etc. Anyway, sorry for interrupting here.
My question. Perreault is a RW, right? Rangers need that, right?
How long do you think it'll take for him to get there? I mean, he doesn't "have to" finish College, right? Hey, education is most important, but.....if he's only there for the purpose of hockey......
So, again.....? Thanks, LarryBiv
One way or the other, He will be in NY by next years playoffs.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
mn wants to move rossi for D? sign me up. zac jones+
1. Jones isn’t quite that valuable so you’re looking Othmann + Jones minimum, and I can’t see them moving rossi since they need cheap talent and he’s not that expensive.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
1. Jones isn’t quite that valuable so you’re looking Othmann + Jones minimum, and I can’t see them moving rossi since they need cheap talent and he’s not that expensive.
Jones is probably more valuable than you think (cheap for another year too) but Rangers would have to add. Maybe grounds for a further discussion here.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Jones is probably more valuable than you think (cheap for another year too) but Rangers would have to add. Maybe grounds for a further discussion here.
Maybe but I wouldn’t want to target a 5’9” center.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Even if Chytil is coming back, we need a young center.

Reactions: noncents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad