Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Made the trek to St Paul yesterday and went to the game last night. Had to see this line in action live.

GP's vision is truly special and stands out even more live when you can really take in the whole sheet. Last night he had multiple incredible seeing eye passes that found his teammates' sticks for quality shots on goal. I tried not to do any NYR homer preselling to my buddy sitting next to me, but unprompted he was shocked by Perrault's vision and passing ability multiple times.

I thought GP and the entire Freshman line had a lackluster regional (by their high standards) so it was nice to see them bringing their usual heat last night.

And say what you will about Gauthier but that kid can finish. I'm glad he's out of the division.

1+ more game to go to watch these kids play together. Hope for another great performance by Perrault tomorrow night.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
The quality of the coaching is undoubtably better in the pros. Also, while it may be disputed if Perreault can hold up in the NHL, it's near certain that he can be a top-6 player in the AHL where the competition is massively better. Beating up on children who are just happy to get a scholarship and mostly will never play a non-beer league game ever again after graduation isn't what he needs. I understand it would be fun to watch him score 72 points in 38 games, but practicing against pros puts him on a different level.
This attitude is parroting a completely outdated view of college hockey that doesn't reflect the reality of the modern-day NCAA. It's also irrelevant because elite prospects are now sooner to tell their NHL team to shove it than be told they have to leave a college to go to the AHL.

If you want a model for how Perrault could improve in college, look no further than Cutter Gauthier on his own team. He went from merely scoring goals last season to now being a true 200-foot player.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What gives me the most hope is that Gabe is absolutely unafraid to go to the dirty, difficult parts of the ice and battle. He's not a perimeter player. Like most his age, he'll have to get stronger to do it successfully at the next level but the will is there and with his dad a former NHLer and older brother struggling to get to the NHL, I think his mindset on the work that's needs to be put in to do so is set.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Good defensive play by Gabe to break up the cycle. Got the puck with his stick, then checked the player to let his teammate grab the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad