Draft Round 1 #23: New York Rangers Select RW Gabriel Perreault (Boston College, NCAA)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t think centers are overvalued at all. Just isn’t a lot of evidence to suggest that. But it’s very hard to get an elite one.

I honestly like what Carolina did just have six awesome do it all defensemen. That’s more so what I would consider and undervalued approach

I think the normal push from teams is they need excellent high end talent at center above all else. It's talked about everywhere. Generally, when I see a consensus like that, it drives up prices. Be it hockey or something else. Again, I could make an argument that a team like this that has (3) 2-way centers all making $4-5m in the Trochek, Danault mold flanked by the likes of Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Guentzel would actually out perform, value-wise a team that is built around a Matthews and Tavares down the middle and less effective wingers.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
I hope Gabe goes back next year and the majority of the other elite prospects on that team are not. I want Gabe to be the undisputed go to guy and see him raise his level even more.

The quality of the coaching is undoubtably better in the pros. Also, while it may be disputed if Perreault can hold up in the NHL, it's near certain that he can be a top-6 player in the AHL where the competition is massively better. Beating up on children who are just happy to get a scholarship and mostly will never play a non-beer league game ever again after graduation isn't what he needs. I understand it would be fun to watch him score 72 points in 38 games, but practicing against pros puts him on a different level.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I don’t think Perfetti is a bad comp honestly. Perreault, yeah he has by far my absolute least favorite skill set for any NHL player but there’s obviously something there, and they were lucky to get him at 23rd. I don’t think he should necessarily be untouchable either but glad to have him
Perrault has your least favorite skill set? This one baffles me. Elite IQ and vision, fantastic hands, both for passing and scoring. Aren’t we describing Adam Fox’s skill set too? I f***ing LOVE that skill set.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Still relevant though that his teammates are some of the best players in college hockey. I don’t think we will know what we have in Perrault until Leonard/smith/gauthier leave or he goes to the AHL. He had two points this year where a top 10 pick didn’t get a point on the same play
Yeah, but if he’s always on the ice with top 10 pick players (and so are they), what is the alternative? Not scoring? All unassisted goals? To me this is a weird take. Gabe scored with his linemates, but also without them on the PP… where, surprise, there are more high picks playing. This is the kind of stat that is meaningless to me. There’s no “ control group” to compare and contrast.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Perrault has your least favorite skill set? This one baffles me. Elite IQ and vision, fantastic hands, both for passing and scoring. Aren’t we describing Adam Fox’s skill set too? I f***ing LOVE that skill set.
Adam Fox is a dman. Perrault is a winger. There is a difference

I think outside of slavin Carolina’s defenseman are not “do it all” but that the pressure the forwards generate, and the team commitment to a smothering system makes them seem a lot better than they really are.
I watch a lot of Carolina. Maybe not do-it-all, but these guys are largely interchangeable regardless of pairing/role and they are all high quality. The defense core is what allows them to get away with that style.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I watch a lot of Carolina. Maybe not do-it-all, but these guys are largely interchangeable regardless of pairing/role and they are all high quality. The defense core is what allows them to get away with that style.

They definitely have a mold. Guys who are mobile and have good size is the key for them. They really don't NEED a high end offensive d-man back there as they all move laterally across the blue line and stress just getting pucks in and around the net. Lots of guys in and around $4-6m too. They are going to likely look much different next season. I don't see Skjei or Pesce being brought back at this point. After next year it's Burns, Orlov and Slavin as UFA's.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They definitely have a mold. Guys who are mobile and have good size is the key for them. They really don't NEED a high end offensive d-man back there as they all move laterally across the blue line and stress just getting pucks in and around the net. Lots of guys in and around $4-6m too. They are going to likely look much different next season. I don't see Skjei or Pesce being brought back at this point. After next year it's Burns, Orlov and Slavin as UFA's.
Right but they also have Morrow (and eventually) Nikishin to bring it too. Also they have a great analytics department in their front office which helps. Slavin is great because you can play literally anyone with him and it’ll work

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah, but if he’s always on the ice with top 10 pick players (and so are they), what is the alternative? Not scoring? All unassisted goals? To me this is a weird take. Gabe scored with his linemates, but also without them on the PP… where, surprise, there are more high picks playing. This is the kind of stat that is meaningless to me. There’s no “ control group” to compare and contrast.
Anyways in this case, it's a circular argument in a sense. Gabe plays with Smith and Leonard (and Cutter on the PP) but they all play with him and benefit greatly from that at this level. If you don't believe so then I question whether you've actually watched all their games throughout the season.

Gabe's success at the next level and beyond will be determined on if his skills translate. The same goes for the rest of his teammates and really all draft picks. Everybody likes to say that they know the answer to that but having seen so many be wrong on so many players on and off these boards...I don't believe they do at all.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
I was listening to the NHL network on the radio yesterday and they had Greg Brown, the BC coach. Brown said that Perreault sees the ice like Panarin. Thats the camparable he sees when he watches him. He went on to say he sees the ice like he looking down on the whole ice surface from a skybox. He just makes everyone on the ice better.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The quality of the coaching is undoubtably better in the pros. Also, while it may be disputed if Perreault can hold up in the NHL, it's near certain that he can be a top-6 player in the AHL where the competition is massively better. Beating up on children who are just happy to get a scholarship and mostly will never play a non-beer league game ever again after graduation isn't what he needs. I understand it would be fun to watch him score 72 points in 38 games, but practicing against pros puts him on a different level.
I think you are being disingenuous to the level of hockey in D1. And we have seen over decades that many slight players benefit from an extra year at college IF they spend the time to further develop their body and prepare for the pro game. He is not playing in the NHL next year. If he goes to the AHL then he is playing against men. I am not sure his body is ready for that right now.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
99% of D1 players could play pro in some capacity if they wanted to. Most know they won't have a long NHL career and decide to move on. Some play a cup of coffee in the minors mostly to boost their resume and say they played professional hockey.

Graduate from BC and you are probably making more in the real world than in the AHL anyways.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I was listening to the NHL network on the radio yesterday and they had Greg Brown, the BC coach. Brown said that Perreault sees the ice like Panarin. Thats the camparable he sees when he watches him. He went on to say he sees the ice like he looking down on the whole ice surface from a skybox. He just makes everyone on the ice better.
He sees the ice extremely well. He knows how to position his body and pass pucks into space that his teammates are going to. He can make deft little passes through opponents sticks/legs. Sometimes (like Panarin) they get blocked but the fact that you can see the intention, the skill is there. On the other end, he knows how to find space on the ice to receive a pass and then calculate the next move (shoot/pass/move) quickly.

He also looks like he knows how to position his body to protect the puck and as he hopefully gets stronger (it's a need) he'll do that more consistently.

Everybody remember that Panarin was an undrafted/undersized FA that didn't make his NHL debut till age 24.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Would be awesome if this guy just said F it I’m ready to take over the league and shows up to claim a top 6 next season

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
99% of D1 players could play pro in some capacity if they wanted to. Most know they won't have a long NHL career and decide to move on. Some play a cup of coffee in the minors mostly to boost their resume and say they played professional hockey.

Graduate from BC and you are probably making more in the real world than in the AHL anyways.
99% ???? You’re way off - you’d be much closer if you said 99% are nowhere close.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

Sure, but it’s not like those skills aren’t great in a scoring forward. Maybe I should have said Panarin. Point is he has an excellent skill set.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
99% ???? You’re way off - you’d be much closer if you said 99% are nowhere close.
Probably 99.99% actually. Its extremely easy to get on a European roster with D1 on your resume. Hell, the SPHL is made up of D3 guys.

You clearly don’t know how many professional options are available

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Sneaky little play in the corner there to get possession after the dump in. Also very Panarin-like.

Wow. And Smith makes an insane stick handling play prior to missing a wide open Gabe on a very simple pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad