Gormley - Johnson
Beauchemin - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Why did EJ play so little? Is he still injured a bit or banged up? What's going on.. Holden playing over 20 mins.. No wonder we suck defensively.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Saying Roy gets out coached by Yeo takes away the blame from the players that play like idiots. He can't run the bench and perform brain transplants at the same time.

Likewise with Yeo, he has very little to do with making Parise a great player. He pretty much single handedly beat the Avs last night, and he deserves the credit not baldy.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Saying Roy gets out coached by Yeo takes away the blame from the players that play like idiots. He can't run the bench and perform brain transplants at the same time.

Likewise with Yeo, he has very little to do with making Parise a great player. He pretty much single handedly beat the Avs last night, and he deserves the credit not baldy.

They pretty much handed the puck to Parise

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Anyway that aggressive style of playing cannot stop, and maybe games like the previous one are there to remind that once you get the lead, you sure as hell cant stop and enjoy the view..

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

True, but one has to question/credit things that do fall on the coaches.

- Matchups
- Playing style changes during the game (prevent, attacking, etc)
- Roster choices and line combos

The last one really concerns me more in a game like tonight or when playing a physically "heavy" style team like the Ducks/Kings.

Stars don't seem like a team you want to have your poorest skating defensemen out against. Ducks/Kings aren't a team you would probably want a "softer" pairing like Gormley - Barrie getting 20+ minutes

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Sadly I think no changes means no changes, but Roy has been somewhat willing to change his mind from day to day

Landy - MacK - Tangs
Comeau - Dutch - Iggy
Grigs - Yeti - Rant (Grigs takes draws)
McLeod - Malkin - Skille

Beauch - EJ
Gormley - Barrie
Zadorov - Holden/Stuart/Guenin (I don't really care much anymore for who plays the #6)

Would be something I wouldn't mind against Dallas

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Can't believe Roy isn't even going to give Gormley a shot in game 2 after his great preseason and Holden's and Guenin's terrible game one

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hopefully this Holden-Guenin pairing is a prelude to Stuart and Gormley being given their shots. Also wouldn't mind a shake up of the forward lines.

Landy - MacK - Tanguay
Comeau - Dutchy - XX1
XX2 - Soderberg - Iginla
McCleod - Malkin - XX3

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zads/Gormley - Barrie
Zads/Gormley - Stuart

XX1 - Rintintin/Rendo/Skille
XX2 - Rintintin/Greg (Everbeast)
XX3 - Skille/Rendo (Everbeast)

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Hopefully this Holden-Guenin pairing is a prelude to Stuart and Gormley being given their shots. Also wouldn't mind a shake up of the forward lines.

Landy - MacK - Tanguay
Comeau - Dutchy - XX1
XX2 - Soderberg - Iginla
McCleod - Malkin - XX3

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zads/Gormley - Barrie
Zads/Gormley - Stuart

XX1 - Rintintin/Rendo/Skille
XX2 - Rintintin/Greg (Everbeast)
XX3 - Skille/Rendo (Everbeast)

THIS. I think Iginla would benefit from playing with a big pure playmaker like Soderberg, and Rantanen seems like a highly intelligent player who would instantly click with Duchene. I personally would also put grigorenko out there with Soda/Iginla; then obviously not fix what ain't broke and leave the fourth line as is.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I don't want to break up Duchene's line as much as a lot of other people but Soderberg's line really needs mixing up.

Landeskog MacKinnon Tanguay
Comeau Duchene Rantanen
Grigorenko Soderberg Iginla
McLeod Mitchell Skille

I guess that's actually exactly the same lineup as everyone else's.

Iginla is really hot though and Soderberg is not so I don't think it's reasonable to give our best shooter our most struggling center. More reasonable is:

Landeskog MacKinnon Tanguay
Rantanen Duchene Iginla
Grigorenko Soderberg Comeau
McLeod Mitchell Skille

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last season Patty used our only hot forward (Duchene) to get everyone else going. :dunno:

With the Yeti's improved play against Dallas I think giving him Iggy would make a lot of sense while Iggy's hot. Not only would that line fit better pacing-wise, but it'd really get them going to give Soderberg Iginla to tee up. I may even keep Rantanen on that line because he seemed to really improve last game just like Soderberg, and those two seemed to have good chemistry as big long and smart guys who felt each other well in the offensive zone...though I do think he will be a sweet fit with Duchene once he's settled in and broken through.

On a side note did Iginla play with Soderberg in Boston at all? For some reason in my head-canon they did...though maybe that was just on the PP...so there may even already be some chemistry in place between the two of them.

As for breaking up the Duchene line, I'm not as gung-ho about it as I was when I first saw our lines for the Minny match/throughout the summer; but I still think Matty would benefit from another guy like Comeau taking Iginla spot so that all 3 guys on the line can fly around on the forecheck and bring a ton of energy alongside Matt's creativity. And though Iggy's shot is hot, he isn't that guy.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Comeau - Duchene - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Grigorenko or Everberg
Tanguay - Soderberg - Iginla
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille
Beauchemin - Johnson
Gormley - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart

Landeskog and Mackinnon need to be given every chance to score and with Grigorenko on their line, i think that'll happen.

Rantanen also needs to be given a chance to produce offensively and i think, with Duchene and Comeau as his linemates, he'll get that chance.

At this point, i feel Tanguay and Iginla are too slow and should be paired with Soderberg, to avoid slowing down any line they're on. And besides, Soderbergs preference to make the safe plays will benefit Tanguay and Iginla.

When this team struggles to score goals, and they will. You can send out Gormley and Barrie for that.

I liked what i've seen from Stuart in the 3rd period against the Bruins. And the 3rd pairing can be sent out to lay hits and kill penalties.

Honestly, i think these line changes will finally allow the avs to play the fast offensive game they've been wanting to play for a long time, and every line will be able to sustain pressure in the o-zone. You simply can't depend on your 4th line to win you hockey games.

I like what every player brings to the table and i think now's the time to have them play as a unit. They're too talented to be losing games as bad as Minny and Boston

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Comeau - Duchene - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Grigorenko or Everberg
Tanguay - Soderberg - Iginla
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille
Beauchemin - Johnson
Gormley - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart

I don't like that 3rd line you put togheter, it's too slow IMO. I would try:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
Rantanen-Duchene-Iginla
Mitchell-Soderberg-Comeau
McLeod-Grigorenko-Skille

I think Mitchell and Comeau could form an interesting 3rd line with Soderberg and complement him. Mitchell could take faceoffs and they both have decent speed, physical play and are good defensively, things that are lacking in Soderberg's game.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
Comeau - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Tanguay
Grigorenko - Soderberg - Rantanen
..?

Soderberg and Rantanen play pretty well together, and not a knock against Rendulic, but they need someone that can pass as well as Tanguay, to give them a chance to finally contribute offensively.

And I don't think it's a good idea to move Comeau away from Duchene, his aggressive forecheck helps Duchene. Although Duchene is yet to use that to his advantage

And part of the reason, Mitchell is playing so well, is because of McLeod and Skille. So I wouldn't touch that 4th line, personally.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Eww, no. The last thing Duchene needs is another old, slow player on his wing. If anything, it's time to take Iginla off Duchene's line.

I'm all for that, I've been saying for some time now they shouldn't be playing together. They just don't work well with each other. TBH it was a bad signing but that's irrelevant.

Tangs+Duchene would work because Tanguay can actually pass the puck and make plays. Duchene needs players who can posses the puck in the Ozone and sustain pressure. All iggy does is cough up the puck or shoot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Last night I figured Iginla-Söderberg-Tanguay would be worth a shot. All of them have been very quiet in ES and it would allow us to use a Comeau-Duchene-Rantanen line that could possibly be useful.

Ideally they'd recall Everberg and have him with Landeskog and MacKinnon but Grekorako would be fine.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm all for that, I've been saying for some time now they shouldn't be playing together. They just don't work well with each other. TBH it was a bad signing but that's irrelevant.

Tangs+Duchene would work because Tanguay can actually pass the puck and make plays. Duchene needs players who can posses the puck in the Ozone and sustain pressure. All iggy does is cough up the puck or shoot.

How was that a bad signing?

Duchene needs to simplify his game first and foremost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad