Line Combos: Rough lineup for next season? Part 2

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think that's completey inaccurate. If it wasn't for the gifts fed by Duchene and Tanguay Iggy wouldn't have finished anywhere near where he did last year. Sure he scored a couple of goals off the rush but for the most part he was the product of a playmaker. Duchene especially over the last few months of the season was feeding Iginla pure gold. In fact I feel like Iggy failed to put home a lot of glorious chances which Duchene set him up with. Still not as bad as Mitchell though. Has anybody ever missed more golden opportunities than Malkin when Duchene was feeding him at the end of last year?

Talbot might be close.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
So to recap what we have learned....

We know for sure that we will start with:

_____ - Dutchy - _____ (Iggy likely a lock for RW)
Landy - Sods - MacK
_____ - _____ - _____
_____ - _____ - _____ (McLeod likely a lock for LW)

Beauch - EJ
Zads - Barrie
_____ - Stuart (Holden likely a lock for LD)

Varly
_____

Obviously, we have good ideas about who should be in each blank but nothing has really been confirmed.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
We really need to find a good LW for Duchene. Iginla is likely going to stay on his RW this year and tends to be a possession black hole but a good trigger man. Tanguay is the easiest to pencil into that LW spot but I do not think that line works well together (as evidenced by last year).

Out of the players we currently have (and it is reasonable to assume we won't be adding anyone else, especially a top line forward) Tanguay, Comeau, and Grigs have been talked about there. As much as I don't think Comeau is a top line forward, he would probably work best there to start the season, even though I think he is a right-shot. The only thing that could change my mind on that is if Grigs comes to camp in amazing form, ready to take that role himself, which would mean transitioning to wing.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Varly's new helmet.

11896313_10153569326494819_92359222249354_o.jpg

member 116861

Never been a fan of his helmets. Some of the worst in the league, IMO.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon
Grigorenko - Mitchell - Comeau
McLeod - Winchester - Bordeleau

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

This is our starting line-up imo. Lets not pretend like Rantanen will be in the NHL this year. How far do you have to go back where a #10 pick made the NHL his rookie year?

member 116861

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

This is our starting line-up imo. Lets not pretend like Rantanen will be in the NHL this year. How far do you have to go back where a #10 pick made the NHL his rookie year?

2 years ago?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

You already said this, and plenty of people responded. Nishkushkin from two years ago is just one example, and the 25th overall pick from last year played a good chunk of the year in the NHL.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Beauchemin - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

If Rantanen played in the CHL I'd say there was very little chance but because he can play in the AHL and get called up whenever I'm 99% sure he'll play some games in the NHL next year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You already said this, and plenty of people responded. Nishkushkin from two years ago is just one example, and the 25th overall pick from last year played a good chunk of the year in the NHL.

And what those two have in common with Rantanen is they were drafted out of Europe and I believe all they had some men's league experience as well.

Even if Rantanen goes back to Finland to start that doesn't prevent him from playing at some point in the NHL. Its a long season and a lot can happen especially where there are no rules restricting what the Avs can do with Rantanen.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Still, kids making the NHL straight out of the draft are still the exception more often than the rule. Even if Rantanen is well expirenced playing against men. I think it's pretty 50/50 if he makes it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Still, kids making the NHL straight out of the draft are still the exception more often than the rule. Even if Rantanen is well expirenced playing against men. I think it's pretty 50/50 if he makes it.
I'd be absolutely stunned if he didn't play any games for the Avs this year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Rantanen is no kid. He's a man.

Camp can't get here soon enough.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He did play against men, but he also played in the Liiga, which is the most similar league to NHL in terms of playing style. It's quite impressive how he did with such poor supporting cast around him. But there's a part of me that thinks he'll be best served spending another season playing for TPS.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He did play against men, but he also played in the Liiga, which is the most similar league to NHL in terms of playing style. It's quite impressive how he did with such poor supporting cast around him. But there's a part of me that thinks he'll be best served spending another season playing for TPS.

If he's not in Colorado, I hope he's in San Antonio. Obviously one of the major questions about him is how he translates to NHL ice and style. I'd rather him get started immediately than be having some of here exact same questions next year.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'd rather him in NA as well. Isn't TPS supposed to be awful again? If he's still in the AHL at Christmas, then send him to the WJC's, but I'd rather he be in NA all year, where the Avs can be hands on with his development.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Would definitely prefer he play in San Antonio. If we can start building a winning atmosphere in the AHL group I think it'll be a big boost for our prospects. Plus, I want him to start adapting to the NA style quicker. There have been a lot of highly rate Finnish prospects that have struggled to adapt to the NA game recently, would like it if he gets a head start on it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If he's not in Colorado, I hope he's in San Antonio. Obviously one of the major questions about him is how he translates to NHL ice and style. I'd rather him get started immediately than be having some of here exact same questions next year.

TPS should be better next year and I'm really not a fan of Dean's.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'd rather him in NA as well. Isn't TPS supposed to be awful again? If he's still in the AHL at Christmas, then send him to the WJC's, but I'd rather he be in NA all year, where the Avs can be hands on with his development.

Exactly what I was wondering. I would rather him play in SA on a team that should be quite a bit more talented than last year, than be on a team that is going to be pretty bad. I would like him to be in a situation where he can consentrate on what he needs to develop instead of one where he will be expected to carry his team and have tons of pressure on his shoulders (I assume he would have a lot more in Fin).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would definitely prefer he play in San Antonio. If we can start building a winning atmosphere in the AHL group I think it'll be a big boost for our prospects. Plus, I want him to start adapting to the NA style quicker. There have been a lot of highly rate Finnish prospects that have struggled to adapt to the NA game recently, would like it if he gets a head start on it.

Who?

Barkov has been beast defensively since the day 1 of his NHL career.
If you are talking about Granlund then he is a different player and was much much smaller when he left to NA.

He said before the draft he wants to play in NA next year and will do whatever it takes to play in the NHL right from the start.
Also different rink size hasn't cause any bigger problems to Rantanen so far.

Rantanen has been our 2nd best prospect behind Barkov and he has the size, he has the skating and IQ.

(Rantanen was able to jump from B juniors to Finnish elite league in 6months(offseason).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad