Roster Thread XI -- The End is Here -- Commence the offseason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm curious what would people think about going hard after Trocheck this summer. A few thoughts:

From Pittsburgh, so would be close (ish) to his home town

Great at faceoffs, plays the PK, pretty even deployments, productive offensively (typically a 50-60 point season)

You are likely looking at declining numbers over the life of the contract (he will be 29 this summer), however, I have to think the immediate impact for the first two seasons would be great.

I am thinking a 4-5 year, 6M per deal is probably market-ish.
Considering Adams comments about not signing vets that will block call ups from Rochester, there's no chance of this happening.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
I'm curious what would people think about going hard after Trocheck this summer. A few thoughts:

Great at faceoffs, plays the PK, pretty even deployments, productive offensively (typically a 50-60 point season)

You are likely looking at declining numbers over the life of the contract (he will be 29 this summer), however, I have to think the immediate impact for the first two seasons would be great.

He is the guy that i think fits perfectly with the sabres and would provide a nice veteran presence at center. His style even fits well with how the sabres have been trending towards

He is a guy that can do everything as you said but if younger players out perform expectations he wouldn't stand in their way as trocheck is valuable as an all around player

I also think he would take immense pressure off the young players and let them develop more naturally

Contract could be an issue as I have no idea what the market would be for him, but I would be willing to pay more for less term rather

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He is the guy that i think fits perfectly with the sabres and would provide a nice veteran presence at center. His style even fits well with how the sabres have been trending towards

He is a guy that can do everything as you said but if younger players out perform expectations he wouldn't stand in their way as trocheck is valuable as an all around player

I also think he would take immense pressure off the young players and let them develop more naturally

Contract could be an issue as I have no idea what the market would be for him, but I would be willing to pay more for less term rather

I wanted Trocheck a couple of years ago when he was a UFA. Unfortunately we traded for Eric Staal instead

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

2 yr sure. 4+ no. Not paying him $6M+ On a 29 yr old

I wanted Trocheck a couple of years ago when he was a UFA. Unfortunately we traded for Eric Staal instead

he wasn’t a UFA. He had gotten a 6 yr contract after his ELC. He git traded toCarolina.

Reactions: Blitz

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What two way center in Rochester would Trocheck be blocking? It's a skill set we don't have.

you want to sign him for 4-5 yrs at $6M. He takes one of the top 3 C spots

buffalo at center has Tage, mitts, Cozens, Krebs. And a player drafted this year. Who loses a spot to develop?

Maybe. I know it wasn’t Wennberg, even tho I also wanted him

Wennberg was a 25 yr old buy out two summers ago.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Just to take a timeout from any discussion going on- a couple exciting things for us:
-Cap space
-Assets
-Young promising core

Adams has to be licking his lips. This is every GMs dream. What does he do with it I guess we'll find out. Fun time for us fans.
He'll sign Anderson and have UPL as back up. Then talk about stacking wins.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

buffalo at center has Tage, mitts, Cozens, Krebs. And a player drafted this year. Who loses a spot to develop?

Wennberg was a 25 yr old buy out two summers ago.
No one will lose a spot to develop. We'll rotate 4 lines and players will take turns at center to learn multiple positions at the NHL level.
Mittelstadt was injured a lot last year, Tage the year before. Chances that one of those guys will miss almost the whole season are pretty high. Cozens will likely get another concussion as well.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Cozens played really well on the wing in the WC's. I could see him slotting in on Trochecks wing and thriving like he did with PLD. Trochecks not as big as PLD but he still plays a heavy game and those 2 would be a pain to play against for opposing teams.

Not every player drafted as a center ends up there long term, the wing may suit his game better at the NHL level.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No one will lose a spot to develop. We'll rotate 4 lines and players will take turns at center to learn multiple positions at the NHL level.
Mittelstadt was injured a lot last year, Tage the year before. Chances that one of those guys will miss almost the whole season are pretty high. Cozens will likely get another concussion as well.

The odds of one of the four miss the season are high??? Really?

Cozens played really well on the wing in the WC's. I could see him slotting in on Trochecks wing and thriving like he did with PLD. Trochecks not as big as PLD but he still plays a heavy game and those 2 would be a pain to play against for opposing teams.

Not every player drafted as a center ends up there long term, the wing may suit his game better at the NHL level.

like I said 1-2 yrs sure. Longer…hell no.

there are quite a few players who do well at center also can do well at wing.

im not pushing under 23 yr old player to wing for a no thing special 29 yr old

Reactions: Dingo44

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If he's occupying a roster spot that blocks a call up. Do you even pay attention to Adam's comments?
That is an unacceptable reason for not making a signing that would significantly help this team. You are an NHL GM, you should very well know that there are ways to open up roster spots if you wish to do so (trades being the obvious one).

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Please enlighten me which center on that list is good at faceoffs and can play the PK?

Maybe one of them can grow into that role....eventually.

If you have Tage written in pen at center, that leaves Krebs, Cozens, Mittelstadt to play 2 center spots.

Mittelstadt: 44.7% Faceoffs, 60.7% O-zone starts, 21.3 minutes of PK time in 40 games
Cozens: 45.6% Faceoffs, 61.4% O-zone starts, 39.2 minutes PK time in 79 games
Krebs: 35.2% Faceoffs, 65.1% Ozone starts, 4.7 minutes PK time in 48 games
Thompson: 40.3% Faceoffs, 63.6% Ozone starts, 66.3 Minutes PK time in 78 games

Essentially, going with 3 out of these 4 players as your top 3 centers, you are guaranteeing:

Basically, losing possession on the faceoffs 60% of the time when your top 3 lines are on the ice. Down a goal, up a goal, late in periods/games, that adds up over a long season. And we don't have a center that can play the PK reliably. Now, you can solve that with a 4th line center, however, ideally you want two guys who are good at the PK. We currently have 0, 1 if you count Girgensons as a C on the PK. And finally, someone has to take D-zone starts. You can't pull a Krueger and put your 4th line center out there for every d-zone start.

Now, let's look at Trocheck:

54.6% in faceoffs, 51.7% O-zone starts, 144.5 minutes PK time in 81 games. And this is on the leagues top PK btw.

Trocheck wouldn't be blocking anyone because no one on that team can fill that role. And he could help the young centers learn the veteran faceoff tricks/techniques to help.

It's probably more realistic to assume 2 out of 3 of Cozens, Krebs, and Mittelstadt probably are going to be wingers. And injuries are going to happen, they all will get turns at playing center at the NHL level.

We should absolutely be in the market for a two way center like Trocheck this summer. It's a dire need and no one is going to grow into that role overnight. And in the end, the NHL isn't a developmental league. Krebs can still go to Rochester next year if he needs ice time. Cozens has shown he can excel on RW at the world's. Mittelstadt should be able to beat out players on their ELC still for ice time. It's time to take the skate guards off and let these players compete for ice time rather than it being doled out like Midget hockey where everyone gets a fair shot. Earn your ice time, it's the NHL.

Reactions: Professor Chaos

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The odds of one of the four miss the season are high??? Really?

like I said 1-2 yrs sure. Longer…hell no.

there are quite a few players who do well at center also can do well at wing.

im not pushing under 23 yr old player to wing for a no thing special 29 yr old
Nope I'd say that the odds for that is low. Mitts hasn't been healthy for a season.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
That is an unacceptable reason for not making a signing that would significantly help this team. You are an NHL GM, you should very well know that there are ways to open up roster spots if you wish to do so (trades being the obvious one).
I agree with this. I think so many of us are scarred from poor FA signings (Leino, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Okposo to some extent) that we automatically assume that a player like that will not produce and stifle our future. We don't have a ton of space amongst our forward group to acquire players, but I do think if we make 1 or 2 smart, calculated signings that it would be beneficial overall. Acquiring one player won't ruin Quinn/Peterka/Krebs/Cozens etc.

A lot of it will come down to a few things:

1) Does Adams and Granato believe Quinn and Peterka will be full time NHLers next year?
2) Does Olofsson get traded?
3) Does Mittelstadt get traded?
4) Do the Sabres see Cozens future at center or wing?

If both Quinn and Peterka are in the NHL full time, neither Mittelstadt and Olofsson get traded and the Sabres view Cozens as a center, then I don't see any way we can acquire a player to put in our top 9 without putting one of Quinn/Peterka/Krebs on the 4th line. But that's a lot of assumptions to make and personally I'd be willing to manuever our lineup a bit if we're going to acquire a player like Trocheck/Copp/Strome or even Marchment.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I reject your voodoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad