Roster Thread (2023-2024 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
How does their cap look after picking up Hertl? Someone who knows cap stuff weigh in? Those two make almost 6 mil combined. They could use that to re-sign hanifin
Not an expert but I think they lose some retention. Saw an article that said VGK is besting everyone else by doing roster building moves at the tdl instead of competing in ufa. They have some issues, but the article did not seem to think they were insurmountable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not an expert but I think they lose some retention. Saw an article that said VGK is besting everyone else by doing roster building moves at the tdl instead of competing in ufa. They have some issues, but the article did not seem to think they were insurmountable.

Friedman and Marek went into that as did the HockeyPDOCast. It is a solid plan.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I
Ask their fans. It has come up that they think they need to make some space to keep Hanifin and integrate Hert.
I'll pass. I see other avenues to make space. Martinez for one. Don't see why they would get rid of a guy who plays Cassidy hockey to a T

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I

I'll pass. I see other avenues to make space. Martinez for one. Don't see why they would get rid of a guy who plays Cassidy hockey to a T

He's already likely out or only brought back as a depth piece at around a million per. What he makes plus what Hanifin already makes is likely going to be Hanifin if he stays. Then they have to fit Hertl in and have Marschessault, Stephenson, and Carrier as UFA's to fit some talking heads think Stephenson is going to be out with Hertl's arrival. It's likely that Vegas will want to and need to replenish and one way to do that would be through buying draft picks for depth guys and then spending them on acquisitions they want to fit their style.

Reactions: Tatanka

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
No he really doesn’t . He is not very good defensively whether on the backcheck or covering the homeplate.
I don’t see him winning many puck battles along the boards either. Not an effort guy either.

He really isn’t good at any of the things I value outside of speed and scoring, which admittedly are two important things.

Operating that Jokiharju is not back, having another RD shot option who is signed to an affordable deal m, and getting someone in prime age into the defense is my thought.

As for Roy, a good 3C with Cup experience one a good contract, features size and responsibility… perfect is the enemy of done. Worrying about faceoffs on a team that is not diligent about details on faceoffs seems like a misplaced concern.
You’re speaking my language! This would be a dream,

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
And as we know, player development isn’t always linear. They are on the same contract. One player is better than the other. No reason to complicate it beyond that.

He plays against top matchups every game. Move him into Cozens role and he’s a 40 goal scorer again.
I dont think Tage got that matchup nearly as much as he had the previous two years. Between Mitts becoming the top center and the constant line blender, our top line wasn’t together much. Nor were they very good when they were. Teams wouldn’t see him or his line as the primary threat to stop every night.

Tage is clearly hampered by his injury. Combine that with his line being no shows to start the season and we get the struggles he’s had.

Getting healthy should get him back on track. But I think the no show to start the season (prior to injury) was concerning. Hopefully it was just an intitial nerves dealing with the pressure of a big deal starting and playoff expectations for the first time.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Have we ever talked about how they spent three years having their star players under cheap contracts and refused to spend the entire time? 31 organizations in that spot go for it because that was a window. We spent the least in the league twice and the third least this year. Because I keep hearing about how the contracts are kicking in and they won’t be at the bottom anymore…and it never comes with the slightest understanding of what that means we just wasted. Everyone wants to talk about how Tage, Cozens, Dahlin and Power were better last year. They were also a lot cheaper. They combined to make less than Dahlin makes next year. And the organizational plan was to leave the most cap space unspent in the entire league. That was a window. If not to win it all…at least to break the drought and instill some success in this group. I’d say they nailed it shut…but Terry wouldn’t spring for the f***ing hammer.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Have we ever talked about how they spent three years having their star players under cheap contracts and refused to spend the entire time? 31 organizations in that spot go for it because that was a window. We spent the least in the league twice and the third least this year. Because I keep hearing about how the contracts are kicking in and they won’t be at the bottom anymore…and it never comes with the slightest understanding of what that means we just wasted. Everyone wants to talk about how Tage, Cozens, Dahlin and Power were better last year. They were also a lot cheaper. They combined to make less than Dahlin makes next year. And the organizational plan was to leave the most cap space unspent in the entire league. That was a window. If not to win it all…at least to break the drought and instill some success in this group. I’d say they nailed it shut…but Terry wouldn’t spring for the f***ing hammer.
I dont think anyone has ever brought this up before, very insightful.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Funny, Adams said roster building moves are only made in the off season. Why wouldn't our GM make moves when the pieces are most expensive?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Taylor hall:sarcasm:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Defense is set no signing needed. Replace 4th line and replace Krebs with a 3C. Backup goalie as well potentially. If our top players even get back to 50% of the difference between this season and last we’re golden. (Something will probably break like UPL next year)

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Not all 31. Bedard on his rookie contract. Hawks spending max cap and 'going for it'? No, in fact it's the opposite. Dead LAST in cap $ spent.

One can say, oh lets jump on UFAs and blow to $ to the cap ceiling while Eichel is on his rookie deal. Truth is, those rookies that are even phenoms, are not ready for PPG NHL hockey, let alone playoff hockey at 18, 19 or 20 years old.

Bedard will be off his rookie deal and making 10+ million/year before Blackhawks think it's time to spend to the cap ceiling. So, no real advantage of the rookie deal at all.

Reactions: Irie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Defense is set no signing needed. Replace 4th line and replace Krebs with a 3C. Backup goalie as well potentially. If our top players even get back to 50% of the difference between this season and last we’re golden. (Something will probably break like UPL next year)

Not a fan of the mix on defense so shopping for a better fit there would be something I hope they do. Similarly, they still could use one more solid scoring line forward so that a single injury doesn't reduce them to an AHL-level line. And they so clearly need some bodies in the bottom six that play responsible, contact driven games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not a fan of the mix on defense so shopping for a better fit there would be something I hope they do. Similarly, they still could use one more solid scoring line forward so that a single injury doesn't reduce them to an AHL-level line. And they so clearly need some bodies in the bottom six that play responsible, contact driven games.
I would love to see an upgrade over Jokiharju/Samuelsson in the top 4.

Byram-Dahlin
Power-[TBD]
Samuelsson-Clifton
Bryson
--------
RJ-Clague
Stillman-Novikov

They need to make some trades to shake up the mix in a few spots, including the top 4 D. But, like Adams has said, it can be a big challenge to add top 4 D in trade...

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
I would love to see an upgrade over Jokiharju/Samuelsson in the top 4.

Byram-Dahlin
Power-[TBD]
Samuelsson-Clifton
Bryson
--------
RJ-Clague
Stillman-Novikov

They need to make some trades to shake up the mix in a few spots, including the top 4 D. But, like Adams has said, it can be a big challenge to add top 4 D in trade...

I agree completely. This should not be that difficult. Could overpay a free agent on a shorter deal. More of a stay at home defenseman that can take some PK and matchups away from Dahlin and Byram. Move Joki and pick/prospect for some forward help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad