Roster Thread (2023-2024 Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Feels like our biggest need is a 1C. Again.

Spinning our tires for eternity.

Wouldn’t it be great if one of these high end draft picks outperforms their draft hype? Like every other team seems to get occasionally? They simply just can’t develop players in this organization like other teams do.
I think they have one in Thompson. I think they have a decent 2C in Cozens. They just need them to play to their capabilities. They did not do that this season for a variety of reasons.

They have a decent top 3 D in Dahlin, Byram, and Power.

They have a good starting goalie in UPL.

They have talent on the wings.

They need to add 3 or 4 of the right veterans to the roster and shake up the coaching staff.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Feels like our biggest need is a 1C. Again.

Spinning our tires for eternity.

Wouldn’t it be great if one of these high end draft picks outperforms their draft hype? Like every other team seems to get occasionally? They simply just can’t develop players in this organization like other teams do.

I mean, Thompson has shown he can be an elite offensive 1C

Cozens has 1C upside.

The reason why they struggled this year, I can't tell you. My guess is that its a mix of injuries and the 'affluenza' that comes with a players first massive contract.

The issue with this team isn't the skill level. We have a bevy of high draft picks across the lineup. Lots of them who have shown they can produce at an elite level.

The issue is a lack of good complementary players, lack of veteran leadership, and coaching. It's a poorly built roster.

A team this skill level shouldn't be this bad on the PP.

The only reason this team is sniffing the playoffs is that UPL has stood on his head since Jan 1st.

Reactions: Irie and Jim Bob

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I mean, Thompson has shown he can be an elite offensive 1C

Cozens has 1C upside.

The reason why they struggled this year, I can't tell you. My guess is that its a mix of injuries and the 'affluenza' that comes with a players first massive contract.

The issue with this team isn't the skill level. We have a bevy of high draft picks across the lineup. Lots of them who have shown they can produce at an elite level.

The issue is a lack of good complementary players, lack of veteran leadership, and coaching. It's a poorly built roster.

A team this skill level shouldn't be this bad on the PP.

The only reason this team is sniffing the playoffs is that UPL has stood on his head since Jan 1st.
It's a lack of collective hockey IQ and urgency, with a coaching staff that does not make up for that loss and maybe even causes it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What if I told you that Dylan Cozens was having his second best shooting percentage of his career? That last year was an incredible outlier and this is exactly in line with what he was before it happened? That he was paid like a goal scoring center but he isn’t one.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am reading the classic book "Can't Anyone Play This Here Game?" by Jimmy Breslen on the 1962 Mets and the main differences between them and the Pegula Sabres is that they were forced to have a roster of absolute garbage with the expansion rules and were entertaining in a perverse comedic way. They also went on to win it all in their 8th year while Pegula can't make the playoff in 13 years and counting.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
How much are we going to overpay for Boone Jenner this off-season? CBus has Adams right where they want him. Desperate, flush with futures, and the needs in leadership and position line up. All that “no chance he moves, ownership loves him” stuff is a set up for a sucker.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How much are we going to overpay for Boone Jenner this off-season? CBus has Adams right where they want him. Desperate, flush with futures, and the needs in leadership and position line up. All that “no chance he moves, ownership loves him” stuff is a set up for a sucker.
Why the fascination with jenner,?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Pardon the daydreaming, but I'm thinking about doable but significant changes after last night's season finale. Well-liked core guys need to move out - here it's Sammy, Joki, and Krebs.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-Jack Drury-Savoie
Greenway-Teddy Blueger-Pierre Engvall
Sam Lafferty

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Matt Roy
Johnson-Clifton
Bryson

UPL
Levi

4 x 3.95 for UPL
1 x 1.5 for Bryson
Joki and Krebs for Drury and a 2nd (4 x 3.6 for Drury)
Sammy for Engvall (*or similar, he's got a 16NTC to work around) - plus/minus picks on each trade
3 x 5.5 for Roy (likely light in term and dollars)
3 x 3.2 for Blueger
1 x 1.75 for Lafferty

$86.24 cap hit

Two legit scoring lines, a speedy, annoying two-way third line, and an actual bruising fourth line. A top 10 D corps. High upside goaltending with some risk.

The next off-season would be messy and require a Skinner buyout plus other moves to sign JJ, Quinn, and Byram, but Kulich and others should be ready by then. Could be less aggressive in the present in exchange for more future flexibility, but the way this fanbase is behaving it feels like playoffs are an absolute must next year. Figure out the future when it gets here like contending teams do.

What's good, what do you hate, what's unrealistic?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Can I just say:

We run a high flying offsense, run and gun. Then that summer we sign Tage and others to long-term high paying contracts.

THEN, we switch our motto and run defensive structure. NOW we are going to have to pay 6K based on a defensive scheme.

It's almost as if management doesn't talk with coaching. you'd want to do the opposite there, if possible. Lock up 6k, then go defenive. Then pay Tage and Cozens off of this year they are having.

I digress. Idk what this team needs. A 40/40 center that's amazing defensively and a gritty leader. 0 are available.

We could probly find a gritty 3C with defensive chops, but do we need more of that? We might be able to find a scoring center that has defensive capabilities of Skinner, but we have that already..

Im in tank mode now. I'd hate for this team to go 8-3 over the final 11 and miss by 4 points. Go 3-8 and get the higher pick. Pit and Seattle can jump you and look at that, we probly draft 8th. Anyone have a toaster??? I'm gonna go take a long bath.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can I just say:

We run a high flying offsense, run and gun. Then that summer we sign Tage and others to long-term high paying contracts.

THEN, we switch our motto and run defensive structure. NOW we are going to have to pay 6K based on a defensive scheme.

It's almost as if management doesn't talk with coaching. you'd want to do the opposite there, if possible. Lock up 6k, then go defenive. Then pay Tage and Cozens off of this year they are having.

I digress. Idk what this team needs. A 40/40 center that's amazing defensively and a gritty leader. 0 are available.

We could probly find a gritty 3C with defensive chops, but do we need more of that? We might be able to find a scoring center that has defensive capabilities of Skinner, but we have that already..

Im in tank mode now. I'd hate for this team to go 8-3 over the final 11 and miss by 4 points. Go 3-8 and get the higher pick. Pit and Seattle can jump you and look at that, we probly draft 8th. Anyone have a toaster??? I'm gonna go take a long bath.

The folks who do the number tracking would point out that Luukkonen is doing things that aren't due to Buffalo turning itself into a defensive juggernaut. They dabbled in something to start the year and then reverted back to pond hockey around December. They're not being stingy and giving him easy minutes. He is doing most of this work on his own.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What if I told you that Dylan Cozens was having his second best shooting percentage of his career? That last year was an incredible outlier and this is exactly in line with what he was before it happened? That he was paid like a goal scoring center but he isn’t one.
I get it..blindly looking at sht % and not factoring in where the shots were from nor situations like on PP.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pardon the daydreaming, but I'm thinking about doable but significant changes after last night's season finale. Well-liked core guys need to move out - here it's Sammy, Joki, and Krebs.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-Jack Drury-Savoie
Sam Lafferty

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Matt Roy
Johnson-Clifton
Bryson

UPL
Levi

4 x 3.95 for UPL

That seems low

1 x 1.5 for Bryson

That requires them to walk away from their QO first and let him hit the market. I wonder if Bryson doesn't go see if I can get a less crowded LHD side.

Why is Carolina trading him? Also why are we walking him to UFA? Carolina isn't that cap crunched yet.

Sammy for Engvall (*or similar, he's got a 16NTC to work around) - plus/minus picks on each trade

The NTC isn't the issue. I don't think Samuelsson is particularly tradeable because of his contract term. The Islanders are going to look to get younger this summer though, so probably a potential match there to be bad.

With the cap going up significantly for the first time in years, players are going to get paid this summer. I imagine Roy is one of those guys who is going to get a regrettable contract.

3 x 3.2 for Blueger

Feels on the high side for a 4th line center.

1 x 1.75 for Lafferty

$86.24 cap hit

Two legit scoring lines, a speedy, annoying two-way third line, and an actual bruising fourth line. A top 10 D corps. High upside goaltending with some risk.

The next off-season would be messy and require a Skinner buyout plus other moves to sign JJ, Quinn, and Byram, but Kulich and others should be ready by then. Could be less aggressive in the present in exchange for more future flexibility, but the way this fanbase is behaving it feels like playoffs are an absolute must next year. Figure out the future when it gets here like contending teams do.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-Jack Drury-Savoie
Sam Lafferty

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Matt Roy
Johnson-Clifton
Bryson

UPL
Levi

4 x 3.95 for UPL
I don't see Luukkonen settling for under $4M AAV.

1 x 1.5 for Bryson

Nah. If they bring him back he's still their 8 at best and for that, not more than a million.

I'd love to get Drury out of Carolina with their pending cap crunch (@TehDoak , they have one this summer) but it's probably more they make available Kotkaniemi as a cost cutting move. Drury's the better player, it's just hard to make a deal when the Canes are not only stocked prospect-wise but also on their NHL roster.

I would hate this with a burning, hot passion. Engvall is big and has the passion of a bottle of valium.

Eh. I don't see them making another move on defense.

3 x 3.2 for Blueger

Seems a little high... but

1 x 1.75 for Lafferty

...I would rather they take and make a run at Joshua from Vancouver's energy line. Granted, most of those guys who get their bag then sag, so buyer beware.

$86.24 cap hit

Comments above.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
It's f***ing time. Bring up some kids who might give a serious effort. Waive Skinner, Olofsson, Robinson, Krebs. Put Thompson, Power, Cozens in the pressbox for a while. There are no consequences for pathetic performances, except a fat f***ing pay day. No wonder they play like shit. Good job Donny, you've reinforced mediocrity.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I think they have one in Thompson. I think they have a decent 2C in Cozens. They just need them to play to their capabilities. They did not do that this season for a variety of reasons.

They need to add 3 or 4 of the right veterans to the roster and blow up the coaching staff.

Fixed it for ya

• Haha
Reactions: Selanne00008

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Benson-Jack Drury-Savoie
Sam Lafferty

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Matt Roy
Johnson-Clifton
Bryson

UPL
Levi

4 x 3.95 for UPL
1 x 1.5 for Bryson
3 x 3.2 for Blueger
1 x 1.75 for Lafferty

$86.24 cap hit

The Sammy one is an absolute No.

Engvall is straight garbage. Just ask Isle fans. I don't want him for 7 yrs

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why the fascination with jenner,?
You’d have to ask the people who continue to connect Adams to him like Elliot Friedman. I didn’t pick the player out of thin air. Sorry.

I get it..blindly looking at sht % and not factoring in where the shots were from nor situations like on PP.
Sorry facts scare you. Continue believing in Iolipops and raninbows. I’ll be here when you catch up. Like I have been on Granato and Adams. I ate shit on Adams two years ago. Here we are. With everyone finally catching the f*** up. I’m not even convinced Cozens is a center at this level. I am convinced he is not he’s a 20 goal guy paid like a 40 goal guy. And that calling him a workhorse for how is game and effort has cratered since he signed that deal is pathetic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Marek and Friedman must be the suckers because they are the ones who keep reporting on how much the Columbus ownership wants Jenner to stay.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

They need to add 3 or 4 of the right veterans to the roster and shake up the coaching staff.
Thompson is a 2 3 line player. He doesn't add anything when the offense isn't designed around him. 5 x last night he was at the opposing blue line before we got the puck out. He isn't a C much less a first line player. Until that is fixed and we have someone that opposing teams have to game plan against either individually or collectively as a line, they are in trouble. If they traded him straightup for Byrum I would have been ecststic thst we are headed in the right direction. Now, not so much.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I have less issue with Cozens at 2C than I do with Thompson at 1C.
Thompson is a 2 3 line player. He doesn't add anything when the offense isn't designed around him. 5 x last night he was at the opposing blue line before we got the puck out. He isn't a C much less a first line player. Until that is fixed and we have someone that opposing teams have to game plan against either individually or collectively as a line, they are in trouble. If they traded him straightup for Byrum I would have been ecststic thst we are headed in the right direction. Now, not so much.
The organization failed to recognize that Mittelstadt was the closest thing to a 1C, and that Thompson was/is the luxury middle-six offensive mismatch threat. They stay with TT, Cozens, and Krebs, this story is over.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Digging around in their 5-on-5 numbers last year vs. this year:

5-on-5 goals for per game: 2.14 this year, last year 2.40

5-on-5 goals against per game: 1.94 this year, last year 2.49

Difference: so far this year +14, last year -7

So again... it's the powerplay. Last year they had a +56 goal differential on the PP, this year a 29th best total of +24.

Penalty killing they are -40 THIS YEAR so for it's -16 differential for PPG, SHG - PPGA and SHGA. They were a -56 total on the PK last year.

They have shaved almost a half goal per game off their goals against at 5-on-5 and only a quarter of a goal for. It's the 30 goal difference in the PP differential so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad