Canada
boy oh boy a 4 game losing streak really gets to people lol

2008 10th
2009 10th
2010 3rd
2011 7th (Brutal most of year)
2012 9th (Brutal until trade deadline)
2013 (Brutal so far)

CLEARLY what we are doing isn't working.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.

And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
and trading away every good player we have over the age of 23 is going to burst us onto the winning scene?

Anyone who thinks any of Pegula, Darcy or Ruff are going to let a full blown rebuild happen clearly is out of touch with this organization.

And not to be that overly optimistic fan but LA proved last year that where you finish in your division doesn't mean $hit, we can finish 8th every year for the rest of our existence if we're still winning cups.

So... You're sayig this teams as good as LA? This team isn't winning a cup, we can build it properly or keep trying to squeek in and go on a cinderella run

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

yea, teams from the 8th seed win cups all the time... :shakehead

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Last year: "The new core of Myers, Ennis, Foligno, and Hodgson, plus Armia, Grigs, and the rest in the pipeline coming up means we have an awesome team soon!"

Now: "The new core is as bad as the old! Time for a new, new core! Tank!"

I'm not happy either, but the team is in the middle of what amounts to a minor rebuild. It's not time to scrap it and start all over with a major one.

The problem with this team is that Regier didn't address the center issue in the short term (a sophmore center and winger convert as your top 2 aren't the answer) and Ruff seems like he forgot how to coach. This team doesn't need a rebuild...just an aggressive GM to tweak the lineup and a coach that doesn't ask for line changes with 9 seconds to go in a game.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
One of the benefits of a shortened season is that many teams will be in the playoff hunt come April. More teams to sell to at the deadline.

Exactly. You think if Florida is in the mix come deadline day, but has questions in net, they wouldn't jump on the idea of Miller?

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Last year: "The new core of Myers, Ennis, Foligno, and Hodgson, plus Armia, Grigs, and the rest in the pipeline coming up means we have an awesome team soon!"

I'm not happy either, but the team is in the middle of what amounts to a minor rebuild. It's not time to scrap it and start all over with a major one.

The problem with this team is that Regier didn't address the center issue in the short term (a sophmore center and winger convert as your top 2 aren't the answer) and Ruff seems like he forgot how to coach. This team doesn't need a rebuild...just an aggressive GM to tweak the lineup and a coach that doesn't ask for line changes with 9 seconds to go in a game.
No wants a new, new core. We like the new core and want to add to it

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love

I don't think anyone thinks the organization would do that...that's the problem...hence the frustration...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

i dont think anyone is suggesting scrapping the rebuild... i'm suggesting committing to it.

i would trade Miller... we can keep and re-sign pommer... and i would dangle vanek at the draft.

your goalie is only as good as the team around him... we can fix the goaltending later

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If this ends up being a bad season, I view Ennis, Stafford, and Sekera as our most valuable trading chips and I could see any of them being packaged for an impact player.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
If this ends up being a bad season, I view Ennis, Stafford, and Sekera as our most valuable trading chips and I could see any of them being packaged for an impact player.

I wish they had dealt Ennis after last season. His value was insanely high then. If he has a poor year or hurts that ankle again, he's pissing that value away. And I'm just not convinced he's in the Sabres long-term plans at center. They may move him back to wing someday, but a 5'9 perimeter winger isn't what the team needs.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll invoke LA as relevant precedent when we have three elite two way centers and three elite defensive defensemen.

LA didnt have 3 elite centers for the entire year they got one of them at the deadline, theres no reason we cant make a move at the deadline as they did.

and not trying to be a jerk here but 3 elite defensive defensemen? even counting drew doughty as elite defensively to me is a stretch let alone whomever else you are throwing in that convo.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We need one defenseman and/or new pairings with what we have to have a decent backend. Myers, sekera, ehrhoff, regher arent going anywhere and frankly thats a solid core. If weber can keep his play up and we could add one guy there we'd be fine.

Miller is among the best goalies in the league...many of the goalies you would consider better than him are having worse years so far...

yes we are terrible in the dot, we clearly need a center in the mold of a stoll etc but you cant honestly tell me you think ennis, and stafford are gonna be this bad all year? v-p-h line is doing just fine. Foligno and ott are exactly what this team needs...we have armia,girgs,pysyk at least coming soon with mcnabb,mccabe etc as peripheral prospects...

we are a team missing 2-3 pieces and a new coach...not exactly something id blow up over but thats just me. I didnt expect to win this year so im fine with foligno and grigs growing...

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
LA didnt have 3 elite centers for the entire year they got one of them at the deadline, theres no reason we cant make a move at the deadline as they did.

and not trying to be a jerk here but 3 elite defensive defensemen? even counting drew doughty as elite defensively to me is a stretch let alone whomever else you are throwing in that convo.
...and then we'd have one elite two-way center.

Scuderi-Doughty/Mitchell-Voynov is leagues better defensively than our top four, and yes, I'd qualify Scuderi and Mitchell as top defensive defensemen in the league. Doughty isn't as good at raw goal prevention, but he's no slouch in his own zone either, and everything else he brings to the table, which is a ton, he can do against the opposition's best players.

Really, the 2012 Kings were lightyears ahead of where this team is.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
...and then we'd have one elite two-way center.

Scuderi-Doughty/Mitchell-Voynov is leagues better defensively than our top four, and yes, I'd qualify Scuderi and Mitchell as top defensive defensemen in the league. Doughty isn't as good at raw goal prevention, but he's no slouch in his own zone either, and everything else he brings to the table, which is a ton, he can do against the opposition's best players.

Really, the 2012 Kings were lightyears ahead of where this team is.

I agree their forwards are much better, but dont really see their defense as being that better than ours. I think our defense has gotten off to a horrid start but we have the skill there to be as good if not better.

Their offense is def another story though and I agree with you there. However I feel we could add one proven goal scorer and at least have a shot...ik they have been buffalo pipe dreams for years but any of the ducks big three in a trade could certainly get us in contention.

sorry for the rant lol

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
In order to match LA's defense from last year, we'd need Myers and Sekera to raise their defensive games to career highs and to add another defenseman who is also better in his own zone than anyone currently on this roster. I think our defense is closer to resembling LA's than our forwards are, but both need many, (many, many, many up front) things to swing favorably in order to make that happen.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I agree their forwards are much better, but dont really see their defense as being that better than ours. I think our defense has gotten off to a horrid start but we have the skill there to be as good if not better.

Their offense is def another story though and I agree with you there. However I feel we could add one proven goal scorer and at least have a shot...ik they have been buffalo pipe dreams for years but any of the ducks big three in a trade could certainly get us in contention.

sorry for the rant lol

Their defense is better than ours. I think our defense is better than it looks right now, but their defense is much better than ours. We're not anywhere close to the cup right now. I pray to God in a few years we are, but who knows then. If Myers doesn't develop, we have a big hole in our defense that needs to be filled. A lot of good prospects who might develop into difference makers in our forwards crops but still have to prove they can do it. Our defense looks awful though. Just awful, and if Miller is not here... :help:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
In order to match LA's defense from last year, we'd need Myers and Sekera to raise their defensive games to career highs and to add another defenseman who is also better in his own zone than anyone currently on this roster. I think our defense is closer to resembling LA's than our forwards are, but both need many, (many, many, many up front) things to swing favorably in order to make that happen.

I think we need to add one guy and Robyn needs to be the guy we traded for. Outside of that I think we are better coaching and better play from our forwards away from being fine defensively. Well sorry I'll go back...we need to lose Leopold along the way too or stop relying on him as a shutdown big minutes guy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad