Speculation: Roster thoughts

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
But wouldn't that be the same as they did when we lost Drury and Briere? Basically thrusting guys into roles too big for them?

I'd rather keep Vanek and Poms around for a few more seasons so the young guys can stay protected for a little longer.
Pominville has really stepped up in my opinion, especially these last few years. Vanek on the other hand I would trade him if were looking towards the future

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Anyone interested in finding a long term successor to Miller? I don't think Enroth is it, but a guy like Bernier?

We agree on something! haha, I am not sold on Bernier, but I can tell you Enroth is not the answer. I wonder if he will still be our back up much longer

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Pominville has really stepped up in my opinion, especially these last few years. Vanek on the other hand I would trade him if were looking towards the future

But with 0 LW depth, who'd take his spot?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Agree with this. Trade TV while his value's high. His body's just gonna keep breaking down more as he gets older. I could see pommer being a sabre for life as he can be a good vet mentor/captain for at least a few more years, he's 29 or 30 currently IIRC

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Anyone interested in finding a long term successor to Miller? I don't think Enroth is it, but a guy like Bernier?

Was thinking about this. I give Miller 3-4 more years (If He's how old I believe...32...33?)to be a premier starter for us... It's once in a good while we get a spectacular goalie really. On average at least.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Trade Miller, Vanek and pominville for ALL the futures. They would bring a massive return and we could have a legit edmonton style rebuild. The problem is I feel bad after signing ehrhoff and telling him we would contend, could we move him to a contender too?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Yeah, this. Give the kids a shortened season to get a feel for it, and build around the new core of Grigorenko, Armia, Girgensons, Pysyk, Foligno, etc.

One of the benefits of a shortened season is that many teams will be in the playoff hunt come April. More teams to sell to at the deadline.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
But wouldn't that be the same as they did when we lost Drury and Briere? Basically thrusting guys into roles too big for them?

I'd rather keep Vanek and Poms around for a few more seasons so the young guys can stay protected for a little longer.

On paper... I think it's a valid comparison.

But a real rebuild, where it's planned from the top... is different. They never tried to rebuild when the co-caps left, they were still "contenders" in their own minds... they had "the best defense in the NHL" remember?

So, I think if a new staff was brought in to coach the team under the pretense that they were building TOWARDS something... it would be different

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Let's definitely trade Vanek, Pominville and Miller to tank. After we tank we can use our draft picks to select average to above average players and to fill our roster we can attempt to sign the premier UFAS just to have them use us as bargaining chips and then we are forced to sign more average players since the elite ones want nothing to do with Buffalo.

Trading Poms, Vanek or Miller is the stupidest thing I've heard. Add good players to those 3, not trade the 3 and magically expect Buffalo to become a premier destination for elite UFAs , it won't happen. Guys like Perry, Getzlaf etc won't sign here. What we need to do is keep our good players and start winning and then Buffalo can possibly become a destination for those elite FAs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Let's definitely trade Vanek, Pominville and Miller to tank. After we tank we can use our draft picks to select average to above average players and to fill our roster we can attempt to sign the premier UFAS just to have them use us as bargaining chips and then we are forced to sign more average players since the elite ones want nothing to do with Buffalo.

Trading Poms, Vanek or Miller is the stupidest thing I've heard. Add good players to those 3, not trade the 3 and magically expect Buffalo to become a premier destination for elite UFAs , it won't happen. Guys like Perry, Getzlaf etc won't sign here. What we need to do is keep our good players and start winning and then Buffalo can possibly become a destination for those elite FAs.

the best teams in the league are built through the draft

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo

Or rebuild properly with top prospects and top 5 picks and when we develop a contending team free agents will want to come here

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Or rebuild properly with top prospects and top 5 picks and when we develop a contending team free agents will want to come here

We are the East Coast Calgary Flames.... we had a sniff of contention, and we've been trying to add to the same mess ever since, keeping the same core players, without ever fully embracing a rebuild.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I could love with the losing under a rebuild scenario.... i can't deal with it when we have a 6 million dollar goalie in his 30s, and 12 million invested in 2 very nice wingers... who have never gotten it done, and we keep adding to the present (Leino, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Ott, etc), instead of preparing for the future.

Just blow it up... fire everyone... the fan base would back the move, and would appreciate the honesty.

i hate this year... already... I hate it because I've had enough of it the last 5 years.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The thing is, Ryan Miller is a "Win now" mode goalie. He is good enough to win it all. You either trade the future and build around him to win or you trade him and rebuild a youth core. By the time our young guns are better and well accustomed to the league, Miller is going to be decreasing in playing ability

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I could love with the losing under a rebuild scenario.... i can't deal with it when we have a 6 million dollar goalie in his 30s, and 12 million invested in 2 very nice wingers... who have never gotten it done, and we keep adding to the present (Leino, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Ott, etc), instead of preparing for the future.

Just blow it up... fire everyone... the fan base would back the move, and would appreciate the honesty.

i hate this year... already... I hate it because I've had enough of it the last 5 years.

I would agree with most of this, but you still need to have veterans around while going through a rebuild. Guys like Ehrhoff, Ott, Pominville, and Regehr are great guys to have around if you go that direction.

If Philly buys out Bryzgalov in the offseason I wonder what the Flyers would be willing to part for a guy like Miller? my guess is quite alot.

What is evident to me is that changes need to be made, we are paying way to many guys to be something they are not. The only untouchable for me on this roster is Grigorenko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad