Speculation: Roster thoughts

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
the best teams in the league are built through the draft

And Darcy Regier is not much more then an above average drafter so I don't see how that bodes well for us. Since I already know someone is going to point to Regiers draft history and say how many NHL games he has gotten out of his draft picks, I would rather look at how many all star players Regier has drafted.

Miller
Vanek
Campbell

3. Since 1997. If your happy with drafting a bunch of Drew Staffords at the ~12-13 spot then so be it. Regier is good at drafting NHL players but for drafting elite ones he is terrible. And it is not like there hasn't been all star players available in the picks that we usually finish around.

I agree we need a new identity and I am for a rebuild. But why not keep our 2 best forwards? Even in 2 seasons in 2015 Vanek will only be 31 and Pominville 33, they both should still have 3-5 very good years.

I would prefer to keep Vanek and Pominville and hope Grigorenko develops into a franchise center. We need atleast 2 defensemen able to throw his body around and add some nastiness to the backend which we have practically zero of. Regehr is a shell of his former self and Weber is barely a third pairing dman. The main piece we need is another legit 1st line center to add to Grigorenko, a la Malkin-Crosby. That would be my main priority, to acquire another 1st line center, anyway possible (draft, trade, signing). Ennis can move to 2nd line LW and Hodgson can go to the 3rd, which I think he would be well suited for. This team is off of competing for a cup not by a quantity of players, but the quality of ones. A #1 center, 2 top 4 dmen and another top 6 scoring threat and we are not that far off. But acquiring those parts, well good luck. #1 centers are extremely scarce and a premium must be paid. I'd go the offer sheet route to be honest, if Giroux makes it to restricted free agent I would make him the highest paid player in the league and gladly give up 4 1st round picks. Doing something like that is what I would be happy with if we were to trade Vanek or Pominville, to clear room for a Giroux type. But not to trade Vanek or Pominville for a 1st and a good prospect who isn't guaranteed to become a star.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Their defense is better than ours. I think our defense is better than it looks right now, but their defense is much better than ours. We're not anywhere close to the cup right now. I pray to God in a few years we are, but who knows then. If Myers doesn't develop, we have a big hole in our defense that needs to be filled. A lot of good prospects who might develop into difference makers in our forwards crops but still have to prove they can do it. Our defense looks awful though. Just awful, and if Miller is not here... :help:

To complete your final sentence, if Miller's not here, the sabres could properly tank/rebuild because we wouldn't end the season making a heroic run to 9th and miss out on both the playoffs and high end talent in the draft.
Trade Miller at the deadline if a contending team has goaltender issues, trade Vanek either at the deadline or during the offseason, flip Leo and/or Regehr for picks and begin adding complimentary pieces to the new core...I would like keeping guys like Poms, Ott, and Ehrhoff around for solid vet presence though

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
In order to match LA's defense from last year, we'd need Myers and Sekera to raise their defensive games to career highs and to add another defenseman who is also better in his own zone than anyone currently on this roster. I think our defense is closer to resembling LA's than our forwards are, but both need many, (many, many, many up front) things to swing favorably in order to make that happen.

I think the biggest organizational disappointment is Myers. If he plays like a true #1 minute-eating, two-way franchise D, this team looks a LOT different.

Also, if Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Ennis and Cody reach anywhere near their potential, the forwards look pretty strong in 2 years.

By the way, why can't Ehrhoff score any more?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
And Darcy Regier is not much more then an above average drafter so I don't see how that bodes well for us. Since I already know someone is going to point to Regiers draft history and say how many NHL games he has gotten out of his draft picks, I would rather look at how many all star players Regier has drafted.

Miller
Vanek
Campbell

3. Since 1997. If your happy with drafting a bunch of Drew Staffords at the ~12-13 spot then so be it. Regier is good at drafting NHL players but for drafting elite ones he is terrible. And it is not like there hasn't been all star players available in the picks that we usually finish around.

I agree we need a new identity and I am for a rebuild. But why not keep our 2 best forwards? Even in 2 seasons in 2015 Vanek will only be 31 and Pominville 33, they both should still have 3-5 very good years.

I would prefer to keep Vanek and Pominville and hope Grigorenko develops into a franchise center. We need atleast 2 defensemen able to throw his body around and add some nastiness to the backend which we have practically zero of. Regehr is a shell of his former self and Weber is barely a third pairing dman. The main piece we need is another legit 1st line center to add to Grigorenko, a la Malkin-Crosby. That would be my main priority, to acquire another 1st line center, anyway possible (draft, trade, signing). Ennis can move to 2nd line LW and Hodgson can go to the 3rd, which I think he would be well suited for. This team is off of competing for a cup not by a quantity of players, but the quality of ones. A #1 center, 2 top 4 dmen and another top 6 scoring threat and we are not that far off. But acquiring those parts, well good luck. #1 centers are extremely scarce and a premium must be paid. I'd go the offer sheet route to be honest, if Giroux makes it to restricted free agent I would make him the highest paid player in the league and gladly give up 4 1st round picks. Doing something like that is what I would be happy with if we were to trade Vanek or Pominville, to clear room for a Giroux type. But not to trade Vanek or Pominville for a 1st and a good prospect who isn't guaranteed to become a star.

completely agree:handclap:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I think the biggest organizational disappointment is Myers. If he plays like a true #1 minute-eating, two-way franchise D, this team looks a LOT different.

Also, if Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Ennis and Cody reach anywhere near their potential, the forwards look pretty strong in 2 years.

because the nets arent 10 foot by 10 foot and he refuses to let his slaphot rip low? Seriously though has this guy ever not gone fancy and released his cannon of a shot low?

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Don't want to see much turnover on our roster. The Sabres have a good deal of high quality young talent plus some good vets with 3-5 years left in them. I don't think the players are the real issue. Need a change behind the bench.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a RH defensive defenseman who can play second line minutes. Other than a true #1 center I think that's the biggest need. Wish the suggested Bieksa for Stafford deal of a couple years ago had happened.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Miller
Vanek
Campbell

How many top 10 picks in that time?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo

Cuz Lindy ruins everyone

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Miller
Vanek
Campbell

Pominville has been an all-star.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Everyone is available, thats just silly nonsense.

TBay is 5 and 1 and Lecavelier is not available.

Silly nonsense is to think a guy with a NTC on a winning team that has no reason to trade the guy to a team who has nothing substantial to offer to acquire him would move there.

Queue the hey, if gretzky was traded, anyone can be traded. Well, he wouldn't have been if he had a NTC.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Miller
Vanek
Campbell

You an "average drafter", I see underdeveloped talent

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
TBay is 5 and 1 and Lecavelier is not available.

Silly nonsense is to think a guy with a NTC on a winning team that has no reason to trade the guy to a team who has nothing substantial to offer to acquire him would move there.

Queue the hey, if gretzky was traded, anyone can be traded. Well, he wouldn't have been if he had a NTC.

I wouldn't count on that. Yeah, it wasn't his idea to be traded but once he found out the Oilers wanted to trade him and heard the teams that were interested, he personally took over negotiations of a trade to LA loaded with terms of his making (like bringing McSorely along and, as a hilarious bit of weird ego-placating, the Oilers owner had to let Wayne call and request to be traded :laugh:).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To complete your final sentence, if Miller's not here, the sabres could properly tank/rebuild because we wouldn't end the season making a heroic run to 9th and miss out on both the playoffs and high end talent in the draft.
Trade Miller at the deadline if a contending team has goaltender issues, trade Vanek either at the deadline or during the offseason, flip Leo and/or Regehr for picks and begin adding complimentary pieces to the new core...I would like keeping guys like Poms, Ott, and Ehrhoff around for solid vet presence though

And yet we just drafted a potential franchise center. Have posters forgotten this already?

What is the obssession with just trading away good proven players to tank? So we can have little to no proven talent on the roster. I think too many posters have this false idea that tanking = eventual success. It doesn't and never has.

The funny thing is we are currently in a rebuild. Yet the same fans that clamor for one have absolutely zero patience to deal with what that means on the ice. They don't seem to be able to grasp that it means fits and starts on the ice while players find their game. Or did everyone think Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs and Foligno were just going to waltz out onto the ice and tear it up from the get go.

So we need to gut the roster because a bunch of kids are not playing to their potential already. :help:

Btw remind me how you plan on attracting UFAs if you want to gut your roster at the first sign of trouble? Unreal the knee jerk reactions on here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad